24 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Chris, it definitely has two mixture screws, one on top and one on the side so my hunch is it's a Carter. I'll have to open it up and see if I can find the numbers.
Thanks for nailing down the year for me as well!
  • chris m said thank you

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:00 AM

Partstree.com is a good place to get a visual of the kohler.

Also, download the Kohler service manual here. You'll find that handy, for

working on the carb.

And of course, don't forget to ask here, if you have questions.

Oh yeah, Welcome to GTT. :wave:

#18 murphy OFFLINE  

murphy

• Member No: 420
  • 2 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:21 PM

I just found some parts from tulsaenginewarehouse.com for a k361 18 hp kohler. What remains to be seen is the quality, for it is a after market gasket kit I have ordered.

Another possibility for you is Brian Miller gardentractorpullingtips.com.

#19 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Finally got her torn down, it is a Carter N26. Still confused by the way these websites list parts tho. Since they only give part numbers and rarely say what model carb they fit how do you cross reference it? Oddly enough my cub 123 has the N26 carb as well...I'm guessing that's not original to the 8 HP engine. (I know earlier I said it was a cub 129, brain fart I guess and I didn't notice til it was too late to edit the post)

#20 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Walkinman1....First off      :welcometogttalk: 

I said it once and I'll say it again...No such thing as a stupid question...We won't learn if we don't ask...  :thumbs:

I see you said your a independent OTR driver..well your setting in the golden seat.  I know "time" is money while driving but stay on the lookout for the scrap / junk yards and old tractor graveyards along your journeys.  Make a stop if you can and take a look.
Around here the scrap yards will let you look as long as you stay out of the way of equipment and don't climb the piles.  Plus if you find something you will have to remove the part yourself but they will usually only charge salvage price, like a buck or two depending on what you get.
Just a thought.....Good Luck with your projects

#21 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Well that's one of the perks of being truly independent... I largely get to set my own schedule and although sometimes it's hard to stop at the places I see with a 50' trailer behind me if I can make it work I do :D I also have many other sets of eyes on the lookout, that's how I got my "new" Ford 120, a good friend spotted it at an estate sale, sent some pics to me and then bought it and held it for me.

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 10:46 PM

No matter where you decide to get the rebuild kit for that carburetor, all you need to do is enter this number at any site 25-757-013S, they range in price from around $10-$14 depending where you get it.

You will see this kit is for many size carter carbs (another reason I like old Carters!)

And it does sound like someone replaced the carb on your K181.

One more thing, I totally agree that it can be confusing when these sites throw a ton of numbers at you! :hitting_self_roller:

#23 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Awesome info Chris, thanks! How long did it take you to glean that kind of knowledge? Lol. I have another carb that came with the cub, looks identical to the N26 but can't find a name or number anywhere on it. I wonder if that might be the original one for the K181...I gotta try to figure that out

#24 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:27 AM

It took a lot of searching and head spinning lol. And I am still learning! Also a lot of what I have learned came from members of this awesome site!

The other carb, does it also have two mixture screws? And if it was on the K181 it would have a smaller bore. If you have a way to take and post pictures that would help us identify it for you.

#25 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Yup, same number of screws, same placements, same float bowl, etc. I did see that sometimes I guess there weren't marked and need to be measured...what's the easiest way to measure it (I don't think my calipers will reach far enough in to measure the actual throat)?
I'll grab some pictures when I get back home, probably Wednesday.

Edited by Walkinman1, May 13, 2013 - 09:53 AM.