24 replies to this topic

#1 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section and won't get yelled at for not searching enough... I'm a self employed truck driver hauling cargo trailers all over the country so trying to browse and search from my phone is a challenge.

As I was messing with my newly acquired Ford 120 over the weekend I got to wondering what a good source is for parts...?

All 3 of my projects have Kohlers in them, 10, 12 and 14 HP respectively so I need a good source for things like carb rebuild kits, fuel pumps, gaskets, hard parts, starter/generators, etc.

Also wondering if there's a good place for general stuff; belts, tires and the like?

It appears from the searching I've done that parts specific to the 120 aren't easy to find...are there any good sources for used or reproduction parts for the Fords and Jacobsons?

Sorry about all the questions but there aren't many people around me that I can bug for knowledge let alone want to humor a young guy annoying them with stupid questions so I'm running out of options.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:36 AM

As far as Kohler parts, tires, & such, I just google and find good prices and shipping. Belts I try to go to TSC or NAPA. Not a good source for reproduction parts, but our sponsors might have most any parts, even for the Kohlers. Just a matter of contacting them to see what they may have in stock or leads to others who might have what you are looking for.

#3 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Kenny, that's kinda what I thought but I figured I'd double check. Finding parts for my cub online is pretty easy, most documentation is pretty good and easy to find. I'm discovering the fords are a bit tougher. I can't imagine what some of you guys go through when restoring truly rare equipment...

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:31 AM

It's like Kenny said, There are no reproduction parts for these. The Kohler's engines are easy to get parts for as many GT's used Kohler engines.

If you do not know already, the majority of parts on the Ford 120 are the same as the Ford 100 and the Jacobsen 1000,1200's. Some of the parts vary depending if the GT is a gear drive or a hydro.

And the other option if you don't have time to search is  just ask on here, and we will try and help you. :D

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:57 AM

As far as finding tractor parts, it can sometimes just be a matter of waiting a bit. If you get the word out to the sponsors, they may get one in with the parts you are looking for. Or, a parts tractor may show up. Letting the folks on the forum know you are looking for something ( through a 'Wanted' ad, once you met the posting requirements) can sometimes be very beneficial for you!

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I know a lot of the parts are interchangeable (still learning specifics tho). My 120 happens to be a gear drive and appears to be complete and original so I'm pretty lucky there. You guys have all been very welcoming and helpful which is much appreciated. It's nice to have a venue to ask these questions as most people (especially in my area it seems) look at a 27 year old who loves old tractors as if he's some kind of weirdo. I'm just gonna keep reading, researching and learning as that's half the fun in my opinion :D

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. I've used opeengines.com for Kohler parts and I'll second what Kenny said about our sponsors. Theu can usually find what you need given some time.

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 03:45 PM

I've been doing some browsing looking for carb parts specifically (let's use opeengines.com as an example) and I'm having a terrible time figuring out what parts will actually fit!  They list the carb parts by part number but without knowing how to find the necessary numbers I'm stumped.  I even looked through their carb parts reference manual to little avail.  There's gotta be an easier way to do this lol.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Do you have the Carter "N" #26 carburetor or the Walbro?

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Good question... I wish I knew.  I believe it's a Walbro but can't say for sure.  What's the easiest way to tell?

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Good question... I wish I knew.  I believe it's a Walbro but can't say for sure.  What's the easiest way to tell?

Okay, first we need to know 'which' Ford 120 you have! Serial plate #'s can get us way down the road. We need to know if this is a pre-72 or what?

#12 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Maybe this will help?  I hope... I've been trying to track down the numbers myself with limited success so hopefully someone else knows better and can help me out!

Ford 120 (1).jpg Ford 120 (2).jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sorry I have been busy working on my truck. The easiest way to tell on the carb is a Carter has 2 mixture screws, one on the side and one on the top. a Walbro only has one mixture screw on the side (no high speed mixture screw).

Also if it is a Carter #26 it will have a 26 inside the throat of the choke (up top when looking in)

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:31 PM

From your engine numbers that Kohler is a  1968, The tractor looks to be a 68 also, as the 1969 models started with a 5000 serial number and yours is 1876.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hello Walkinman1!  You will never hear us yell "try searching" from any of us mods, and likely not from any members either.  We don't roll that way here.  So ask anything you need, and feel good knowing you won't get whacked for it.   :thumbs:  

I've never needed much in the way of Ford parts, and what I did need, I bought off ebay.  As many already said, engine parts are readily available from a huge source area.