Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bought A G10 But The Deck Gearbox Is Shot...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • Member No: 35020
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'm new to this forum but I've read a lot of good posts here. I picked up a good running G10 with a Tecumseh engine today. It came with a plow blade and a 38" deck. The tractor is pretty complete with a few miles and more than its fair share of cotter nails. The problem I have is the input shaft to the deck gearbox is trashed, the needle bearings shot, missing thrust bearings, and needs a crush washer. After looking up the shaft price I picked myself back off the floor and I'm hoping one or more of you guys might be able to advise me on replacing or repairing this gearbox. The deck model number is 18418, my best guess is the tractor is a '73 or '74. I'd love to find a tiller for it, but I don't know if I need a rear PTO(it looks like there is just a cover plate on the axle housing. I'm close to Wheeling, WV if any of you have a deck or attachments I'd love to come by and eyeball what you ride. Parts for my deck would be a bonus.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Welcome to GTTalk! 

There are lots of Bolens experts around here.  I'm sure one of the site sponsors would have a good used mower drive gearbox that won't break the bank.  The tube frame Bolens used a long driveshaft off the same PTO drive as the mower deck to power the rear tiller.  I'm unsure if the G10 has the creeper gears for tilling but one of our resident experts will be along shortly.  I also know from past experience that a Massey tiller will work but it will turn backwards so the tines have to be swapped side to side. 

Good luck with your "new" tractor! 

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:06 PM

The G10 does have a HI/LO range.  However, unlike most of the other Bolens tube frames, you have  to manually move the drive belt from one set of pulleys to the other to change from hi range to low range.

There are a number of different decks that will fit the G10.  The tube frames were nice in that if an implement fit one, it fit all of them.  There are some that aren't recommended for some models, usually because it doesn't have the HP to run it.  For instance, even though it would mount, you wouldn't want to try using one of the 42" mower decks on a 8hp G9 or the G10.

Since you say you have a Tec engine, that you make yours a 73, 74, or 75.  The 76 and 77 used a Briggs engine.

If the serial number starts with 01 it could be a 73 or 74, and if it starts with 02 it would be a 75.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:04 AM

It starts with a 01. Is the ten horse strong enough to use the tiller or larger deck? I have quite a bit of yard and am debating on getting a self powered pull behind.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:28 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

You should be able to easily locate a new shaft as they were used on most of the Tubeframe decks. The needle bearings and thrust washers are still available as well.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:43 AM

My G10 ran the round back till with extension with no problem.  I will say that if you aren't a pretty 'healthy' individual, you will find using the tiller something of a chore.  Those rascals are HEAVY, and raising and lowering  one with the manual lift will bit a bit of work.  I used the tiller one time like that, and promptly went on the hunt for a " Hydraulic Lift Attachment"  :D :D :D

I really couldn't tell you how well one might handle a 42" deck.  All I can say is that in the "Attachment Interchangeability Guide" all of the 42" mowers are listed as "Not Recommended". 

Just as a guess, I'd say that you probably COULD use a 42" mower, but you would have to mow at a lower ground speed in order to keep from lugging the engine.  So any time advantage you would get from having a larger deck would be negated by having to mow at a slower speed.

Since you have a -01 that narrows it down to two years.  I'm not sure about the Tec engines, but with the Wisconsins you can determine the year that they were made by using the serial number.  If you can do that then it would much nail down the year yours was made.  Bolens typically used engines that were one year 'older' than the tractor.  So if your engine was made in 72, then your tractor would be a 73.

• MailmAn said thank you

#7 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:14 AM

Here's a couple of pics. The "slight" taper on the shaft may not show as well in the photo, but it looks like it's been beating around for a while.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130507_065354_995.jpg
  • IMG_20130507_065534_921.jpg
  • IMG_20130507_065850_534.jpg
  • IMG_20130507_065423_999.jpg
  • IMG_20130507_070309_560.jpg

• Gtractor, OldBuzzard and MailmAn have said thanks

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:35 AM

first off. WELCOME TO GTTALK. second really nice bolens u have there

#9 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Picked up a 42 and a 38" deck, and a tiller. Probably spent too much money but maybe it will work out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130507_114809_448.jpg

• OldBuzzard and MailmAn have said thanks

#10 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Stuck the tiller on, lined it up, and realized I didn't get a lift bracket for it. I cobbled one up but actual dimintions would be nice. I can't post in the classified section so I'll ask here if anyone has a shroud for this tiller I'd like to have one. I'm still sourcing the inner bracket for my air cleaner so I can see how this thing does in the garden. I got a call back from a guy with a single bottom plow after I already left Akron so I'm hoping to locate one closer.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the pictures, looks like the decks are still solid. Hope they came with the universal Joint Driveshafts.....

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:26 PM

For the tiller lift arm, your best bet is to contact:

www.tubeframes.com

He has new ones for something like $25.00 or so if I remember right. I've dealt with him a number of times and he's very fair on his pricing.

#13 Drumhead OFFLINE  

Drumhead
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:02 AM

The decks are nice, the gearboxes are fair, but no shafts. I have the one that came with the G10 and it looks nearly new. If I don't get this thing mowing soon I'll need a sickle bar for it to get through the yard.

#14 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:36 PM

I really couldn't tell you how well one might handle a 42" deck.  All I can say is that in the "Attachment Interchangeability Guide" all of the 42" mowers are listed as "Not Recommended". 

Just as a guess, I'd say that you probably COULD use a 42" mower, but you would have to mow at a lower ground speed in order to keep from lugging the engine.  So any time advantage you would get from having a larger deck would be negated by having to mow at a slower speed.

The 42" decks were used on 10hp 1050's, so I don't think lack of engine power is the reason 42" decks are not recommended for the G-10.

I think that it has more to do with the fact that the G-10's PTO is driven by a single belt, as opposed to the dual PTO belts on the 1050.
  • Newpaws493 said thank you