• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:00 PM

After a 1700 mile drive we are in Louisiana. Vandals and thieves made a mess of the house and barn. I dug out the back of my wifes' tractor. It was made from a Crosley. With a 4 cylinder Waukeshau engine, hydraulic drive and hydraulic lift for the 60" mower deck. My FIL built it for my wife in 1962 when she was 11. Bill will add pictures for me.

There is also a small riding mower that was used before 62 and in the 80s for awhile. My BIL didn't take care of either of them very well.

I am considering buying a trailer for bringing them and a lot of other stuff home but am worried about my 99 Savana handling the tow load. I was also considering the trucking option.  Going to be here another two weeks. I'll post more when there is something worth talking about. Good Luck , Rick

0505131651-00.jpg

0505131655-00.jpg

Resize_0505131652-00_01.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Good luck Rick! I was wondering were you have been. I have been busy myself so maybe I missed a thread?

Sounds like an interesting tractor. Maybe I'll get to see it when I come up for the parts tractor :D

Also sorry to here about the vandals and thief's! :mad2: 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Neat looking tractor, a one of a kind.  I think it would be worth restoring.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Would be great to bring back home , hope you can figure out a way , good luck

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:25 AM

If I was closer, I would give you a trailer to make sure that Crosley machine gets home.  That's a great family piece, one of a kind, and it will certainly never be around again!

Ben W.

#6 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:37 AM

u gota pull them out in the sun and take closer pics. I really wanta see both up close

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:52 PM

There is a spare engine next to the tractor. Texas Deere and Horse may be able to bring it up for me when he comes for some tractors in RI. I met Stephen today and he said that he didn't  care that much about it. He is happy to think that Swede's only grandson will get it.  He also told me that these were among a dozen my FIL bought along with a shed full of spare parts when the drilling rigs converted from pony motors to compressed air starters. These little engines are 35hp and were pony motors on large diesels. He said that the hydraulics are salvaged from a B52 and the rear was a shortened old Ford rear. He also told me that the 73 Maverick only has 30k since Swede rebuilt the engine. I want to take that home too. Anybody know the trucking bidding site.

Superaben: there is still the remains of a Crosley behind the barn but, somebody rolled it over and the bamboo has grown up thick around it. Everybody tells me not to be afraid of the snakes but, in the same breathe they say to stay out of the bambo. We came down through the Shenandoah and will probably go back that way. 

1978Murray: They aren't moving easily and the weather has gotten hot. The snakes are out. I was cutting brush last Saturday when it was still cool near the barn. 14' up the barn wall was a 6' snake skin. I'm nervous looking for snakes on the ground overhead freaks me out. My wife has reminded me that one fell out of a tree onto her mother years ago. The quality of the pictures is my inability to handle a smart phone. I'll try again.

It has been a long hot day here. I've got an ear infection(thankfully there was a VA clinic locally) that is giving me a bad time. I'm going to quit for now. Thanks to all and Good Luck, Rick

• chris m said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Rick it sounds like you are going to need an 18 wheeler to get all that stuff home.  

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Rick it sounds like you are going to need an 18 wheeler to get all that stuff home.  

It was a consideration but would be over 2 grand. Thanks, Rick

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:49 PM

This morning was 55 degrees so I braved the barn. I inflated the tractor tires and rolled it back from the wall. I cleanned it off some more and looked it over. The radiator cap is stuck, the gas tank is clean and nice looking galvanized inside. The battery is out, but everything seems to be there. I then cleaned off the MTD Lawn Flite rider and pulled it out. New pictures will be posted soon.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Here is a couple of more Pic's from Rick adventure in LA.

0513130845-00.jpg

0513130850-00.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Today was 90 and I was dying from the heat. I decided to clear a way to the shed and try to salvage some starters and generators that I could see. I dug through a tangled pile of rotten wood, nails, live wires and broken glass. Finding the live wires was abit shocking! I pulled out some starters, bell housing, clutch, carb, crank starter and a bunch of things that I can not identify. On one shelf was three sets of what had been new pistons with rings and rods, all rusted. I can see 2 engines under the leaning back wall. I'm worried that it may fall so, I stay back from that area.

I'll continue tomorrow but I have to work on my van too. Got a noise/feeling in the front end when starting off. Maybe a loose caliper or a ball joint. Texas Deere and Horse is picking this stuff up this week. I'll try to get him to take and post some pictures. My wifes' phone is just not cooperating. Hopefully there will be a bunch of us that get together in July in my area. Good Luck, Rick

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Sounds like a productive day, even with the heat. I hope you find something simple enough on the van, Good luck!

Also that would be great if a bunch of us can get together in July (or when ever) :D

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm hoping that Texas Deere and Horse can come up at the same time as Zagrey. He is picking up some tractors as well as bringing mine. We could all meet at Zagrey and as long as the weather is good it will be a good time. 

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 04:25 PM

I worked out in the heat today. Salvaged a bunch of slightly rusted parts and dragged an extra engine by hand, out of the collapsed shed and into the barn. These little Waukeshau 20hp engines must not weigh more than 400 pounds. I tried to turn the tractor over but she is seized. My BIL said that he'd put the wrong fluid in something. I'm afraid it was water into the oil. I was so frustrated that I had to quit for the afternoon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemade