Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Worked on splitting the wood pile this weekend.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:18 PM

My mom and dad, cutting buddy Justin and his wife, and my wife and three kids all helped on Saturday to split some of the wood from the wood pile Justin and I have accumulated in the past couple months. We are estimating that we have about 20 cords total but we will know for sure once it is all split.

Justin and I split on Saturday with my dad running the splitter, since dad's foot is still in his boot/cast he parked the huskee beside the splitter and ran the control lever. The girls and kids stacked.

My wife happened to snap a couple pics and in the one I am showing my GTtalk pride although I do need to shave LOL.

Dad and I split some more today but didn't take any pics. I think so far we are about a quarter of the way through the pile. There are three 4' x 8' skids stacked about 6' high, a full load on the trailer waiting to be stacked and a pretty good size pile beside where the splitter was sitting.

One of these days I will buy a splitter but for now the one we used was free since I borrowed it from work. We did at least get to use two tractors this weekend. Dad used the Huskee to sit on and haul his ass around and I used the Cub 147 to move the splitter around.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0030.jpg
  • DSC_0021.jpg
  • DSC_0031.jpg
  • DSC_0027.jpg
  • DSC_0028.jpg
  • DSC_0018.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Looks like it was a great day for splitting wood :thumbs:

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Yesterdays weather was great as it was cool enough out to help cool off when we would take a break but today was unseasonably warm.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Nice bunch of pictures.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Looks like it was a great day for splitting wood :thumbs:

Everybody working together to get it done Good Stuff.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:50 PM

Wood "Bee"?

#7 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:56 PM

Looks like you have a good amount of wood.I see the splitter that your using is the upright one[Wood sits near the grd while the wedge moves downwards]how do you like using that one.Does it bother ones back after awhile having to bend over all the time down near the ground.I have one that I use on the 3 pth of my MF 175.It's a horizontal style.The wedge is mounted on the splitter and the push plate is mounted on the cylinder.I've set it up so that I use my foot to press on a lever to activate the cylinder to split and as soon as I take my foot off the cylinder retracts.I also have it set up so that I set a rod and the cylinder will only retract so far.It doesn't need to go all the way back if say the wood is only 16" long no use having the cylinder go th 24".Its set up for one man operation but can also be used with someone controlling the lever by hand as well.I prefer it to having to be bent down all the time this was I don't find it hard on my back.BTW I haven't used it for 3 yrs now due to having put in the GEO Thermal heating/cooling system in.I was going to use it this yr to split some wood for the fire pit plus backup emergency wood.I still have the wood stove in the basement in case of power outages.At least I can keep the house warm if need be.So I still have a bit of wood to cut and split.I was going to mount it on wheels and make it to run off the MF 1655's hydralic's that I have for the loader,just didn't seem to have the time to do it yet.Larry

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Looks like you have a good amount of wood.I see the splitter that your using is the upright one[Wood sits near the grd while the wedge moves downwards]how do you like using that one.Does it bother ones back after awhile having to bend over all the time down near the ground.I have one that I use on the 3 pth of my MF 175.It's a horizontal style.The wedge is mounted on the splitter and the push plate is mounted on the cylinder.I've set it up so that I use my foot to press on a lever to activate the cylinder to split and as soon as I take my foot off the cylinder retracts.I also have it set up so that I set a rod and the cylinder will only retract so far.It doesn't need to go all the way back if say the wood is only 16" long no use having the cylinder go th 24".Its set up for one man operation but can also be used with someone controlling the lever by hand as well.I prefer it to having to be bent down all the time this was I don't find it hard on my back.BTW I haven't used it for 3 yrs now due to having put in the GEO Thermal heating/cooling system in.I was going to use it this yr to split some wood for the fire pit plus backup emergency wood.I still have the wood stove in the basement in case of power outages.At least I can keep the house warm if need be.So I still have a bit of wood to cut and split.I was going to mount it on wheels and make it to run off the MF 1655's hydralic's that I have for the loader,just didn't seem to have the time to do it yet.Larry

I don't think the vertical splitter was too bad, we used a shorter log as a seat for the one that was at the splitter. I would prefer a horizontal splitter though, especially if there were side plates attached that the log halves could roll off to so they would still be right there for the next split. However with the wood we have there are rounds that range from 30" to 46" diameter and 20" tall, there is no way we would be able to get them up onto a horizontal splitter. With the vertical we were able to roll the large rounds close to the plate and then tip them over onto the plat and start by splitting in have, move the one half out of the way and then start working on the other half still on the plate.

I thought about building a horizontal/vertical for the 3pt on the 1655 but set it up to where it would run perpendicular to the tractor and be able to roll a round right up to it without laying the round over and then when you are doing smaller stuff raise the 3pt up so you don't have to bend over so far. In a way though I think it may just be better to have it where it could be vertical or horizontal and have the benefits of both worlds.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:42 PM

What I wanna know is why all you tough guys need gloves? Toughen those hands up guys! Real men don't need no gloves! :rofl2::smilewink:

Lots of good heat in those stacks. Good work!:thumbs:

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:51 PM

What I wanna know is why all you tough guys need gloves? Toughen those hands up guys! Real men don't need no gloves! :rofl2::smilewink:

Haha, I don't usually wear gloves but to be honest it is easier to keep a grip on the wood with gloves on then it is without. Like when you split off a piece and you grab it with one hand to wing it to the pile. It is alright if it is a smaller piece you can usually keep a grip on it but with the bigger split pieces I can't keep a grip on it, fingers slip.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Haha, I don't usually wear gloves but to be honest it is easier to keep a grip on the wood with gloves on then it is without. Like when you split off a piece and you grab it with one hand to wing it to the pile. It is alright if it is a smaller piece you can usually keep a grip on it but with the bigger split pieces I can't keep a grip on it, fingers slip.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...tough guys! LOL Well, I gotta say, I do use gloves sometimes, but usually I don't. But everyone says my hands are huge, so I guess I have an unfair advantage. I usually fence without gloves too, as it's harder to deal with the barbs grabbing the gloves. A little blood doesn't bother me, but having gloves pulled off constantly by the barbs gets on my nerves bad! Back when I split a lot of wood, I usually bare handed it too. But then my work lends to toughened skin.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:09 PM

I guess maybe my office hands are too smooth to be able to chuck wood without gloves? LOL

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 08:21 PM

I always use gloves when splitting wood. I really don't like the leather gloves for doing this, so I usually use those thin gloves with those rubber dots on them.
Untitled.jpg