• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lynn225 OFFLINE  

Lynn225
  • Member No: 34082
  • 23 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Taking advice from responses to my previous post :wave:  on Saturday I installed some new lug studs, using 7/16-20 grade 5 bolts from Lowes, some lockwashers, and some 242 Loctite.

Also on Saturday I picked up my new tires: Carlisle All Trails on the back.

After I got it together, I put it to work. Saturday and Sunday I carted and spread 3 cubic yards of mulch.

Having a tractor and cart instead of a push cart cut my work in half! I've never completed my spring mulching so quickly. Got it done in a half day Saturday and a half day Sunday.  :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0745s.jpg
  • 100_0746s.jpg
  • 100_0748s.jpg
  • 100_0749s.jpg
  • 100_0750s.jpg
  • 100_0751s.jpg

• OldBuzzard, hamman, MailmAn and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:18 AM

Good job! Tires look real good on there. GT's save a lot of muscle power, for sure!

• larryd and Lynn225 have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Very nice!

#4 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Nice job!  Your 800 looks very nice.  Those rear tires look great on it and they look to have a very aggressive tread on them.  They're not original, but they do look like they'll work better than original at gripping the ground.  Where did you find the tires and how much did they set you back?

As a side note though, I am curious what happened to the Bolens decals on the side of your hood?  They look all scratched up like they were sanded down or maybe just scratched up a lot from tree branches.  The rest of the tractor looks really nice with the new paint on it, just get a new set of decals for it and it will look like new again!

(Aside:  I just checked Vintage Reproduction's website (http://www.clickitandstickit.com) and didn't see any 700, 800, 900, or 1000 decal sets...  :(   If you take some nice close-up pictures of your old decals showing all the details and take some measurements of the decals, I can pass along the info to Cory over there and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to make up a new set of decals for your tractor.  He made the decals for my 850 and is making a custom set of decals for my EK-10 Estate Keeper.  They are all on very heavy duty vinyl and are well worth the money.  He does a very good job and the decals are under $100 a set.)

Edited by MailmAn, May 06, 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#5 Lynn225 OFFLINE  

Lynn225
  • 23 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I don't know the history of the rig. I bought it a few weeks ago from a neighbor who has half a dozen GTs, is in ill health and selling off his stable. He has a couple other 1050s, but this one suited my wallet and need.

The tractor is a 10-footer. It doesn't pass muster on close inspection. I'll clean it up some, keep it clean and working. I'm more concerned with function than originality, so I have no hesitation about making functional mods.

As for the decals, they will be pretty low on my priority list, at least for a few years, but thanks for the offer!

The rear tires are 23x8-12, Carlisle All Trail, ATV tires. They replace badly dry-rotted originals.

I got them from a local tire dealer. Installed price IIRC was ~$92 ea. The fronts were ~$40 ea. with new tubes.

Note: I just saw a set of the Carlisle All Trails on local Craigslist, four for $150, with 95% tread. They're a steal!!

http://york.craigsli...3773741075.html

(BTW I have no affiliation with this ad; posted FYI. If anyone wants them, have at it!)

Carlisle All Trail tires are available anywhere ATV tires can be found, including Amazon.

These tires will be good for my long term use at our cabin/future home near Raystown Lake (Huntingdon PA). I'll put it to work hauling dirt/mulch/firewood etc. and driving to visit the neighbors :D . These tires will suit the terrain better than turf, yet still be gentle on the lawn as opposed to big lug ag tires. These should also be good winter traction if I find a plow rig.

• MailmAn and larryd have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Those tires look very nice on there...The studs & lug nuts will make putting wheels on/off easier.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Those All-Trails look very good on there. I just put some on one of my tractors a few weeks ago. Your price was great as the website where I got mine wants $82 (free shipping) for that size. $92 installed is a good deal. Mind if I ask what dealer that was?
Was the original size an 8.50 wide? The 8's on yours look like they might run a bit wider? I know the 10.50's I got are noticably wider than the 10.50 turfs I replaced.

Now I'm kind of interested in those other ones you posted about. I have a tractor for 2 of the 4 but nothing else I have takes a tire that narrow. Hmmmmmm.....

edit:  I originally posted this from the mobile version of the forum and it doesn't show the user's location.  Now that I'm on the PC I see that you're from York also.  Good to see another Yorker.  Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Canawler, May 07, 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#8 Lynn225 OFFLINE  

Lynn225
  • 23 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:07 AM

The dealer was Grove Tire in Winterstown. He's a small shop evenings weekends, we work together at our day job. I don't know if the price I got was normal or special coworker price :smilewink: but I know even his normal prices are better than most.

My original tires were 23x8.50-12, and all info I've seen says this Carlisle 8.00 is wide enough (spec 8.4 IIRC) to serve as direct replacement for an 8.5.

Where are you in York? I'm in New Salem. :wave:

I've lived in York most of my 58 years. I plan to be here about 3 more years, then we're selling out and moving to our place at Raystown :dancingbanana:

Anticipating that move was really the primary motivation for getting the tractor.

Those tires on CL are a steal... but only if you have a use for all of them, or a tractor buddy to split the set with.