• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • Member No: 33855
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 06:15 PM

My friend bought a massey 16 at an auction sale the other day it was sold as is and not running . It appears that the owner before put a new starter on. Today we went to try to start the massey and the stater turned but not the flywheel it does not appear to even touch the flywheel is there any adjustment for these starters.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Is it possible the starter gear did not 'come out' to meet up with the flywheel? Might be stuck in the return position. Try a little spray lube on it.

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Is the starter spinning the right way??  Maybe the battery cables are reversed..  Make sure the positive goes to the solenoid's big terminal  Just a thought  

So I stand corrected  v v v v

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, May 06, 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 03:19 AM

Polarity means nothing to a starter, it will spin the same way no matter how its wired.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 04:20 AM

I went looking for a good explaination of bendix systems and found this

Now, keep in mind the bendix is exactly backwards on the starter in this video. When you hit the key on that Massey, the spinning shaft drives the bendix gear out and it engages with the flywheel. When the engine fires, it drives the bendix gear back
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Check to see if you have the correct starter first.  I have a friend who bought a starter once and he had the same problem.  When I checked it was the wrong starter for his tractor.  If it is the correct starter take it out and bench test it.  Make sure the bendix is in fact working like it should.  Did you check and make sure the engine is free to turn?  Also check all your connections and make sure you have 12V going to the starter.

Another thought is check the cold cranking amps of the battery.  I had a tractor last month that came in with a new starter but wouldn't turn the engine over.  Pulled the stater and bench tested it and it was fine.  Put it back in and the same thing.  Put a slow charge on the battery and one minute it would turn the engine and the next it wouldn't.  Did some research and figured out the battery was to light for that application.  Put stronger battery in and worked fine.

#7 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • Member No: 33855
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:29 AM

I have tried lubing the starter and a nother starter than while doing other work on the tractor i had then spark plug out and then turned the key with no spark plug the engine turns over I have also tried diffrent batterys that I know are good. Could the be a bad connection.?