• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:56 PM

An individual joins a forum so they can put their item in the classifieds. (Multiple forums actually)

I send a PM that I am interested in the item, and will pay the asking price.

I will send the money (Money order/certified check) and pick the item up in 5-6 weeks.

Seller won't sell this way...You have to show up at his place and if he still has the item, you can buy it and take it home.

I'm glad the folks I have dealt with on here and other forums do business a little differently!

I haven't been screwed and I haven't screwed anyone on any deals that were made.

OK, now that my blood pressure has gone up I will step off my soap-box!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• hamman, tinbender7, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 06:28 PM

My MIL would not sell anything to me or my wife if we were the last two people with money . Slightly off your topic but I know the feeling . Good people here . The mods keep it that way .  ( I have a lot to learn ) .

• tinbender7 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Integrity.... That is getting pretty hard to find these days.  Then hopeing to get a bit of common sense along with it seems to much to ask for.  Just reading about people like that makes me P!$$zD :mad2: FF.  I hope  he will read this thread and know what we think of him..

• boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Out of my last 4 buys I have been lied to severely on two of them.

When I sell something I am very particular about trying to keep people coming back. I am very very honest when I sell something and I tell a buyer EVERYTHING that is wrong with the mower. 

I bought a mower the other day and asked the guy 5 times "What is wrong with it?". I know he probably got tired of me asking but I wanted to make sure that all was wrong with it. He told me EVERYTHING that was wrong with and I could give that man an extra 30-40 bucks for being truthful.

Anymore though you can't tell who you can trust.

Edited by SearsYellow, May 05, 2013 - 07:53 PM.

• Jack and A.C.T. have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yep, there's all kinds out there.

For instance, I'm just now on my way back from buying a Bolens Dual Wheel Kit from a fella in Wisconsin.  We made the deal on PMs over on " the other forum".  That was better than three weeks ago, and he just held them on my word alone, and without any payment, until I could pick them up.  The same thing happened with a reel mower for a Bolens Estate Keeper, but that fella held it for over three months.

At least two people have actually shipped items to me BEFORE being paid.

At the other end there are guys like the one in the OP, and some bozo on eBay that says:

must be familier with this snowblower there will be no returns,and this is a CASH upon pickup only

must have at least 20 positive feedbacks or do not buy

must be picked up within 3 days after auction and CASH upon pickup only

NO SHIPPING   SELLING AS-IS

AGREE WITH ALL MY TERMS OR DO NOT BUY

So with his terms I can't buy it (not that I would as he has it priced 2x or more than it's actually worth) since I only have 17 positive feedbacks, even though my last one was just 3 weeks ago for a $22,500,00 item :D :D :D

• A.C.T. and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#6 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 09:59 PM

I think that the internet has made it to easy to offer things up for sale.. Locally we have a small bulletin board that has a for sale section.

It is a pet peeve of mine to see an ad with no description or picture (got truck fer sail to me isn't an ad.) if you are lucky enough to get a phone number they simply won't answer.. Same with emails lately. 

The local craigs list has also turned into a buyer beware type of situation. Perhaps it's just me getting tired of dealing with all the nonsense. Bought an old golf cart today and the fellow said he would deliver it so I paid for it in advance and it was sitting here when I got home,,,, Sure would have been nice if he would have left me the Key for it !!!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#7 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I am getting tired of CL ads with no phone number. I emailed three on Friday and have heard nothing yet. As for getting ripped off that is another problem. I will be posting a thread on buying a JD 140 soon. It has been almost a year and we have not ended the story yet. Also do not list a price with best offer if you don't want to deal. I walked away from another 140 over $75. His price was $1050 B/O. I thought $925 should have bought it, but I was wrong. He rubbed me the wrong way. I have yet to get a 140 home. Maybe that is a sign!

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 11:00 PM

... I have yet to get a 140 home. Maybe that is a sign!

I think it is.  After all those green and yellow things are the spawn of the devil :D  :D  :D

• A.C.T. said thank you

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:03 AM

I tried forb2 years to buy a DB locally here, and the women just wants to much for it. The last time it was $225 or B/O, she would never reply to my offer, AFAIK it didn't sell.