#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Have a 1617 Plastic King and having a weird light problem. There is a fuse block in this tractor with four fuses. I can put all four in and when not running all works right, cept the pto, which is rusted stuck right now. When I'm running tractor and use lights, they seem to pulsate some and drive a little while and they blow out, and tractor stops running right now. If I put a fuse back in that has blown it starts right up and stays running long as I don't use lights. Not sure if it is the light fuse that is blowing or something else. Any ideas what I should look for? Most safety switch wiring is changed, only the clutch pedal one still works. Wondering if I should be looking at that pto and see if issue there. Not sure if safety wiring is working on that either, don't think so. I'm hoping it is not going to be a coil under flywheel that needs replaced. This is a darn KT17 and not backed up very well in parts places. Guess I'll have to print out a wire diagram and look mine over and see what does what in fuse box (not labeled) or other places.

#2 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:30 AM

sounds like you may have a short to ground somewhere   check for any chafe wires

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I'd start by getting a stock wiring diagram and then drawing a diagram for what you have there.  Once you know what you have then you can tell what is on the circuit with the blown fuse. It sounds to me like the ignition is on the fuse that blows along with the lights. The engine dies when the lights are on only so either the lights are on the wrong fuse or the main fuse is blowing because the current is too high and takes out everything.  The fact that the lights are pulsating could indicate a problem with the charging circuit or regulator or an intermittent short somewhere. Bottom line is you need to dig into the wiring and find out what you've got. Good luck getting it sorted out. 

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I recalled that I had to free up the light switch and pto switch with oil soaking and working them. Just recalled that, and wonder if that is part problem. I have a new one from epay and will try it out today for first thing.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Light switch changed, no diff.   Lights blew this time w/out stopping engine tho???? Sheesh!

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Time to get a meter out and start ringing out wires, you have a dead short somewhere. I would start with key switch, light switch, fuse block, and then wires. Not fun, but if approached in steps not that hard.  :D 

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Like Brian said get a wiring diagram for your tractor and then check it against what you actually have.  Since is will run for a bit with the lights on then blows the fuse I suspect that you have a chafed wire somewhere that is shorting to ground.  Also with a flux in the lights when it is running would indicate a partially broken wire.  Good luck this is the worst kind of problem in my opinion.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:45 PM

How are the lights held in on this unit? Are they in their own buckets or in the grill?