#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 914 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I just got this today and am looking to restore it. It is a 1973 Montgomery Ward lawn tractor .. hydraulic snow plow and three point hitch, it has a 4 speed Transmission with variable speed, The motor is a 16 HP Briggs engine. It seems to run pretty good but I did notice the variable speed lever didn't make any difference in the speed when I moved it. Does anyone have any good info on it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1971.JPG
  • IMG_1972.JPG
  • IMG_1973.JPG
  • IMG_1974.JPG
  • IMG_1975.JPG
  • IMG_1976.JPG

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Looks like a good haul to me!  That tractor was made by Gilson, I think pretty highly of those machines.  I never had one with a variable speed, though. 

You've got all the options for it, hydraulics wise.  I'm really impressed with it.

I hope the restoration goes well. 

Ben W.

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Very nice setup. If you don't get any response here try posting on the Gilson forum or on the JD or MF forums. JD and MF also used the variable speed on their tractors and they are likely very similar. 

• Traill95 said thank you

#4 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 04:38 PM

I recently picked up the same vintage tractor, but do not have the side model/serial number badge. What is your model number? I sure to use that to try to find some manuals. I noticed that your tractor has a black cylinder shaped  coil on the lower left front of the engine. My PTO warning light is not connected. Where does the harness look like on your? Plus, the high/low speed for 2nd gear does not work on mine. Thanks, ken

#5 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:34 AM

This one has been converted to battery ignition, magneto is probably bad.  That is a common failure and hard to replace due to the engine having to be removed on this tractor.  None of these were battery ignition from the factory.

Nice plow setup, somebody is a good fabricator as that setup is not factory but looks like it may work better.  Interesting three point setup, too.  AFAIK, three point was not an option.  The variable speed pulley is probably stuck and/or worn out.  They had to be completely disassembled to lube, and that never got done.  Parts are not available that I have found.  The good news is it can be replaced with a plain pulley.  I have both of mine setup that way, one with a 4" pulley for fast chores and one with about a 2" pulley for slower chores such as tilling and snow blowing.  A 3" pulley would probably be a good all around compromise.

• KennyP, PGHsteelworker and ktznz have said thanks