#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:29 AM

Haven't had a Speedex with sliding engine before. Fella on epay is selling some Neoprene or similar rollers to replace those on tractor. I'm thinking they should be metal, and even have an offset hole in them to turn and take up space. He claims his work better than stock. I'll have to look into what is on there stock. Anyone ever do much with there's?  I know of no shop manual that actually tells you how to repair anything on these tractors, so guess we learn as we go. Many questions coming!

#2 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • Member No: 14199
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have a M23 and mine look like a bushing, as you I never found a manual or repair book for mine

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Mine were WOOD!  Laminated even, probly just plywood one time!  They are off-camber with hole to adjust the spacing I suppose. Two of mine are cracked open, so might look this guy up again. I'm not sure his are cambered tho, seems like that is important. Once I got the engine off, the rear mount just turned sideways and lifted out. Front one is also holding the big spring in front of it in, so had to remove the bushings to get it out. THEN, the spring had to be bent real hard to pass up over frame off it's stud it was on. Cotter pin in main pivot of axle comes out and whole axle assembly pulls out the front.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Re-studied my Saved post on the ebay units and used magnifier to look at them and ARE cammed or offset. I wrote him a message thru there and not hearing anything yet. Hope he sees it.  His user name is Mariner 4055 if anyone knows who that is??  Sure wanna try those things.

#5 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • Member No: 36509
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I ordered from Mariner... fast shipping and the bushings fit/work great on the S-14.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, I have some now and just put on today. My old ones were plastic too, not wood, but had grooves in them made them look like plywood. Not sure on how to adjust right?  I just gave a little play on mine for now. No engine on it yet and doesn't slide too easy w/out playing with holding them in position. My frame is going back together now and looking good. Good thing for parts books, I forget how many things were on it.  Gotta work on axle/bull gear tomorrow, not looking forward to that job. How much torque does one put on the outer axle nuts by hub to tighten axle???  guess I'll just set to be movable yet not a lot of play and call it good. Nuts have  a lock bolt on them, so must be you have to adjust?

#7 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • Member No: 36509
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I just adjusted until it "felt" right... I didn't want any slop, and wanted most of the pressure to be on the plastic bushing... not the frame.

As for the torque for the wheel hub... I didn't measure (is there a spec?). I went has tight as I could without stripping the threads.... again a feel kind of thing.

Let me know if you get stuck with the axle/bull gear.... I have mine torn apart now and can post pics for a reference.

#8 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 04:45 PM

supposed to be fiber bushings

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks