#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:25 AM

Got the tractor up on my lift today. Plan to remove the sheet metal and try to get engine to start first, then tear whole thing down for a total rebuild. Might take a while, I'm slow doer. Been working on an MTD 990, which I just got off lift running now and tin going back on. Might try to get some pictures, I usually forget. I can't get over the frames being made of solid stock, no tubing or such. Some things are welded on like they forgot them and added later on these things. My biggest fear is getting into the rear-end gear case. I wasn't going to do anything there, but when pushing around, seems something isn't right there and kind of loose. Probly needs a bushing or bearing some way. Hope that's all it needs.

• hamman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:30 AM

GL, sounds like a neat project! Pics would help those of us less fortunate (and not having one) understand what all you are doing!

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:13 AM

:nothingtoadd: :picsoritsnotyours: :wewantpics: :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera:

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:31 PM

OK, worked on engine today. Put on diff mag coil and cleaned up the points base and places where stuff grounds and gets rusty. Got spark with new coil. First pull it fires and stays sort of running. Fired every couple rounds, just once, kinda like when you leave choke on. Checked choke, and throttle didn't make change of speed, even by hand. Messed with points gap while running and think it was best right where I had it set Then it quit. Never ran again! Got tired of that rope starting and quit.  I blasted the shroud tin today and never found a model number stamping. The starter on this thing must be something odd. I have other B and S starters and most on epay all look same. Some say will fit 7 to 18 hp engines. I have a ten that I took one off of and no way it is going to bolt on to this 16. Bolt spacing is wider and the side castings on engines are diff. There is something missing on the shroud and a bit cut-out there. There are four rivet holes, two each edge and wondering if could have been the ID tag or if some sort of starter bump-out shield??? Right at that point also is a fuse holdr looking thing, but I think is a Diode for charging, and a yellow wire cut-off right next to it. think that is charge/lights circuit. Slight cut-out in shroud to clear that. Gotta figure out what starter to be looking for. Oh, yeah, the gear on starter I have is back towards the motor and wouldn't reach the flywheel. Seems I would need a longer shafted or reversed gear drive to reach the flywheel on it now. I have a couple real old BS manuals, gonna page thru and see if I can see anything that looks close to what I should have/need. I do really think the Kohlers are much simpler to work on. AND, do all the "flow" carbs on briggs drip a lot?  Mine all seem to do it, just at diff times, even after rebuilding. Good thing I have shut-off valves on the tanks. Some pix of shroud. Found a very stiff mouse and what may have been a baby one under shroud, creepy!

Attached Thumbnails

• Cucumber Clunker 2013-05-05 005.jpg
  • Cucumber Clunker 2013-05-05 006.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 04, 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 02:21 AM

Think I need this starter kit.   396306 starter. This is only one with shield also which I think the holes are on shroud for mounting then. What you think

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16VHJGkE9no8h,l2BRHS7hK86w~~60_1.jpg

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Bought that starter, didn't wanna spend that much, but looks like nice kit.  Here's tractor in garage naked, kinda set aside as I work on the PK for awhile. Waiting for starter to get here, then back to Speedex. Portland this week, not much wrenching going on.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garage Pk and stuff for web 2013-05-12 008.jpg

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:22 PM

OK, tore into tractor frame today. What an engineering marvel,     NOT!  Looks like a clever guy made this in his garage. The gears look real rough and like the Chinese copy's of stuff in modern days!  My gears are all worn quite a bit, but going back in as is anyway. There was some drivetrain slop, now I see why, worn teeth. I have several shots taken of the parts as taken off. The main axle is one piece, all the way thru. The left axle slips over that one and has it's own big gear, then there is the bull gear that has only ONE spider gear in it to make the differential action work. Then another big gear on inside that is part of main axle, Those bigger gears have the spider ride between them. There is two taper bearings up on top drive gear and one on outside has a seal in it. The big chain drive sprocket is there and brake cam on it. There are a few bushings where axle rides, hope to replace those. There is an oil drain plug and fill plug on the case, but nothing came out, and when opened was just lots of grease in mine. The seal between the two main case parts, appears to be just gasket seal of some sort, no gasket on mine anyway. Kinda like silicone, yet was hard and brittle scraping it off, so guess it wasn't. Silicone might work tho. I plan to make a gasket for mine and maybe still use some gasket shellac with it to seal up. The right axle part has a big gear on it inside that wont' pass thru the case, even with those two tin halves for cover are removed. Axle comes off with case, THEN the hub end will pass thru the case center hole. Mine didn't even do that, till I scraped away some gasket gook that was down on inside of that hole, close fit! Left hub has huge 2" socket size nut holding it on and with a set screw bolt to lock it. The right side hub had a set screw bolt but came right off when loosened. Both have keys in axle. Had to grind down end of axle out on right, it was mashed some, to be able to pass thru the tube to remove out other side. Backyard or garage engineering at it's best!  Man, how did this company stay in business making this simple crude junk??? :poke:

Attached Thumbnails

• PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 007.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 008.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 009.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 010.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 011.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 012.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 013.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 014.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 015.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 016.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 017.jpg
  • PK and Speedex tear downs May 2013-05-13 018.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 13, 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#8 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Well blow me away!! I never would have dreamed that those tranny's were made that way.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Cleaned up some parts today and primed. Those gears on the axles have cast teeth, never even machined!!  The cluster gear won't come off, it has the center shaft all welded in that bull gear! Not sure if a PO or if made that way. Sheesh!  I'm wondering if the cluster and other gears were all just cast with no machining also??? Mine are smooth and shiny NOW, but might have just wore down. They are pretty worn, but I'm not gonna go thru trouble of replacing all of them. I'll live with the slop!  I might be replacing some big bushings if I can find in axle tubes. That upper small gear has two tapered bearings on it's short shaft. I thought there was a seal there too, but when I drove it out, was just a tin piece, much like a seal would have for a cover, and a washer underneath. Hmm! Seal gone?  Not needed?  There is a number on that cover tin, will find out what if is supposed to be. I'm hoping I can get the bushings from McMaster Carr. They usually have many and I've gotten before. Just have to explore site and see if sizes there. That site is easy and great to use to find things, try it! Comes in a day or two also, no waiting.