Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1614 Manual Lift To Hydraulic: What Are The Logistics? Advice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a 1977 Economy 1614 that has personal value to me as it was something that I remember watching growing up as a kid.

Recently, the opportunity to came up to purchase it from the family. I hadn't seen it in many years. When I went to go take a look at it, I was a little taken back to find that it's not a hydraulic lift setup, but rather a manual lift unit. I would love to own this machine, but this alone is the sole reason why it's not already in my garage. My plan would be to use it for light grading work and having hydraulics would be must, plain and simple.

The thought had occured to me to do a conversion, but really don't know what all would be involved. I don't want to get into a project where finding parts would takes years to track down and costs would be through the roof. What would be your advice on this? Is the hydraulic system farily complex meaning that there are quite a few components that make up the system? I'd love to get this tractor, but having the hydraulics is a must and the conversion must be something that is fairly reasonable to do.

Thank you guys so much for any insight, it would be very gladly appreciated.

Edited by Austen, May 03, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:12 PM

BTW, everyone always loves photos so here is one of the machine.

It's a one owner unit that was always stored in doors up until five years ago when it lost its spot in the garage and has been under a cover outside ever since. It was only used for mowing a small 1/4" acre lot, so low hours. It needs a clean up no doubt and polish, but most all of the paint (including that on the engine) and decals is still intact and the sheetmetal has zero dents or any sort of damage which to me is a huge plus.

Dillons027_zps4245b324.jpg

Edited by Austen, May 04, 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Should be easy to put one on. Pump goes above the bellhousing, belt from flywheel runs it. Control valve sits under seat to right on a flat metal plate, held down by seat mount. Tank sits right next to it below seat. Cylinders can be mounted underneath or on top to right of driver's foot. That outer style needs diff linkages and lift to rear hitch than the one underneath. Will this tractor have a three point with manual lift?? Not sure. Seems new enough to have that. Otherwise it should have a draw bar that just lifts  with no adjustments cept up/down.  Ebay is full of those parts. jrhaines has some there and others and part out tractors all the time. The pump and cylinder are the most costly and little harder to find. Larry Goss on the PK forms has a thumb Drive manual with everything about PK's and parts lists and mounting and etc. Get one of those. Only $10. You can print off pages with it to take out to shop or even to take along when looking at prts or tractors. Go to a show and look at one with system and get idea of how to put on. Hoses will also need to be bought or made and go under tin in center. There are big holes for the hoses to pass thru at each end and grommets go in there to protect the hose. Check out ebay and the files on the PK lists for pictures.

• Austen said thank you

#4 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:57 PM

GL,

Thank you very much for the insight. To answer your question, yes, it does have a 3 pt and a drawbar attached to it.

I have actually posted my same question on the PK Yahoo group in an effort to get a much advice as I can. I will look into the manual that you described, that would be a good idea.

My main worry is not being able to locate all of the necessay parts, that's the biggest concern. To be honest, I am not anything close to being a machinist so making parts here and there is not going to be an option. I found a pump that sold on Ebay not too long ago for a little over $150 but have not seen any other hydraulic parts listed. It sounds like I would need to locate a machine that is getting parted out and purchase all of the necessary hardware.

Thank you again and please keep the advice coming.

Edited by Austen, May 04, 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:43 AM

Welcome to the forum, Austen! Looks like a fine specimen to start with. Sounds like GL is getting you good info. I'm sure others will be along to help out. Might check with the sponsors here, they might have something!

• Austen said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Just a quick cl search I came up with this PK being parted out, even if it's too far you can getan idea of what parts you need and a price they are going for

http://allentown.cra...3721494289.html

3E93F83Jf5G55K95J7d439a8db2ae56a61c6d.jp

• Austen said thank you

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to the forum, Austen! Looks like a fine specimen to start with. Sounds like GL is getting you good info. I'm sure others will be along to help out. Might check with the sponsors here, they might have something!

Thank you! :) I'm happy to join. I actually know Dan, Olcowhand, from another forum that we used to moderate together some years ago.

Welcome to GTTalk !  Just a quick cl search I came up with this PK being parted out, even if it's too far you can getan idea of what parts you need and a price they are going for

http://allentown.cra...3721494289.html

Thanks!

That's great, thank you so much for providing me with the link. In fact, I will send him a message just to get an idea like you said about what he would charge for the complete system.

It sounds like the guys on the Yahoo group know of some other sources as well and there is quite a support network for them. I think I've made up my mind to get try and get this machine. It sounds like there is enough info and parts out there to make this conversion a deemable reality.

Thank you again guys and I will certainly keep you updated.

Edited by Austen, May 04, 2013 - 01:31 PM.

• KennyP said thank you