• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrk OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I noticed that my Onan P218G appeared to be running on the low side of the recommended max RPM's so I hooked the electronic tach to one of the plugs and found out I was running appx. 6,000 RPM :firejumper: (really only 3000 RPM because of the tach picking up the "lost" spark) ... I also checked the idle setting and found that it was high at appx. 3400 RPM (actually 1700 RPM).

So I got the screw driver out and adjusted the idle stop and got it to idle right at 1050-1100 RPM - although it does smell a little rich now ... Anyway what has me stumped is the govener and how to adjust the high limit of the engine.  I fooled around with the governor in the 3 holes and moved the cable a little bit within the stop but was not able to get the engine RPM up to 3600 RPM without screwing up my idle.

Can someone walk me through the steps they would do to set up an entire engine from start to finish in regards to the carb, cable and governor?  Do I start with the carb first, set the cable at X position or the governor ... what position should the carb linkage be in ... etc. 

I feel like an idiot not being able to work this out on my own given how much I wrench on things but any help you can give would be greatly appreciate!! :wallbanging:

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Many of the onan Engines are not set up to go much over 3000 rpm from what i remember the onan (p218g) on are welder is set at 3000 rpm But thats as far as my knowledge goes with onan