25 replies to this topic

#1 GTReproductions OFFLINE  

GTReproductions

• Contributor
  • Member No: 35
  • 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 01:36 PM

I am in the process of buying a parts reproduction business. I will be able to reproduce plastic parts using todays high tech resins. Current parts are massey headlight bezel and steering wheel caps. I am thinking of producing wheelhorse head light buckets and lens' for the C series, I believe I can achieve the reflectivity and temperature resistance required. I should be able to incorporate todays halogen or LED bulbs, leaning more to LEDS to reduce power demand and heat generation. Could also produce original bulb style if there's enough demand. Before I start developing prototypes which will be a considerable expense to me I was wondering how much interest there would be for such items. Please provide me with your thoughts, I hope to be able to keep the cost below $95 for the bucket and around $35 for the lens. Final products could run cheaper but it is difficult to price this early in the development phase.

I have a C series tractor, I'm not sure what other tractors these buckets are used in. I may be able to reproduce other types as well but would need one of each item in good condition to develope prototypes and final products. I would be able to return the original parts and would be willing to pay a fee for their use. Amount would depend on marketablity. Other parts may be reproducable as well such as dash face panels, I welcome any suggestions for parts since I am only familiar with the C series.

Thanks,

Larry

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 01:43 PM

I take it that you purchased Jeremy's plastic business?

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 02:16 PM

I'm not into Horse or Massey products but I am into Case/Ingersoll. Right now, I can buy a PAIR of new headlamp buckets with the lenses and gaskets for less than $80.00. The buckets are metal. The lenses are plastic and they use standard auto incandescent lamps. Maybe I'm off-base here but I think that your proposed pricing is out of sight.

Secondly, I'm not aware of a single led lamp or lamp array that will give decent lumen output for nighttime snow clearing or lawn mowing. The big problem with halogens or HID is the amperage they draw. All of the old GT's that use start/gen units have a max charge output of 15 amps. Many of the alternators are only 15 amps max output as well and both types are subject to the engine running at 3600 rpm to achieve that output.

As I see it, there are two markets. One is the restoration crowd who want something that cannot be distinguished from OEM and the second one is the guy who is looking for better quality lighting for his work tractor. However, price point in either market is critical because the latter market will just drill some holes in the hood and mount some low cost halogen driving lamps for 25 percent of what your lights will cost. And if someone else feels that the restoration crowd is a sizable market, he'll just get someone in China to crank out a competing product that he can sell for less than half of what you propose to charge.

I'd look upon this as a sideline business, at best. You need to find some industrial customers that are looking to buy large volumes of plastic parts to keep your doors open.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 02:47 PM

hydriv has made a lot of good points.

As for the Massey headlight trim I think you could do well with those as long as you can keep prices down on them and also sell on sites like ebay.

As to the led headlamps, I don't know anything about wheelhorse but I can see led headlamps being a benefit if you can do them right. I have seen led lamps used in other ways that do a very good job at illuminating everything, granted the light is a more focused light. The newer led's are doing better and better with the angle of light that they produce. Not like when they first come out and you pretty much had to be straight in line with the light to see it was even on.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 03:32 PM

It's probable that the 3rd or 4th generation of OLED's will surpass today's Super-Brite LED's in output & dispersion. I believe it's Panasonic that has sunk some sizable change into Organic LED technologies. We're still years out, but from what some of the reps have told me, it's very promising. @ some point in the future, there may well be wall-covering thick TV's illuminated by these and much of the interior lighting will be done with them. Trouble now is getting costs down.

#6 GTReproductions OFFLINE  

GTReproductions

• Contributor
  • 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Looks like wheel horse parts are still too readily available. I had a hard time finding these when I was looking for some. I really dont know what any end prices would be I shouldn't have put anything in the post. Think i'll just stick with the massey parts for now.. Was just brain storming hadn't put in any homework on the specific parts yet. Looks like I have a lot of research to do before I attempt anything new. Thanks for the input.

Yes I'm in the process of buying Jermey's business.

Edited by GTReproductions, October 24, 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:54 PM

Looks like wheel horse parts are still too readily available, I had a hard time finding these when I was looking for some. I really dont know what any end prices would be I shouldn't have put anything in the post. Think i'll just stick with the massey parts for now.. Was just brain storming hadn't put in any homework on the specific parts yet. Thanks for the input.

Yes I'm in the process of buying Jermey's business.

At least you are asking for suggestions and I think it is the right way to approach it. Without feedback you don't really know where to start and it is better to know ahead of time before getting in too deep.

#8 GTReproductions OFFLINE  

GTReproductions

• Contributor
  • 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks,

I felt kind of stupid for a bit. :wallbanging: There's alot of things to take into consideration. The old saying is true, the older I get the more I realize that I don't know very much. :smile1:

#9 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 10:08 PM

I would bet that Massey 50 and 55 series dash panel would be a hot item.
I am working on the decal for that puppy.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 04:35 AM

:ditto:
Almost every 50 and 55 series dash I have ever seen have been cracked really badly.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 04:44 AM

I am working on the decal for that puppy.

I agree, my dash and the center console cover are far from perfect. The original ones were really busted up but I had bought a used set that were in better shape but still need work.

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks,

I felt kind of stupid for a bit. :wallbanging: There's alot of things to take into consideration. The old saying is true, the older I get the more I realize that I don't know very much. :smile1:

You shouldn't feel the slightest bit stupid. You came to us with a very valid idea and what's happening here is simply part of the process to put that idea into reality or on the shelf. There is a need for people such as yourself and that need will grow as time goes by. The garden/lawn tractor collector hobby is still in its infancy but it is already taking off at a tremendous rate. In spite of the high cost of "showing" tractors, the number of tractors coming to these events is on the rise.

As I said, I know little to nothing about Horse and Massey but no matter what marque you choose, you need to focus your research on which parts are constantly in demand along with whether those parts are still being supported by the parent company and what those parts sell for today or what they sold for the last time the company still had inventory. Find a long-time Horse and Massey dealer and go see the oldest parts guy still working there. Explain to him what you are trying to do. He can tell you prices and availability as well as what parts move the fastest.

If Massey used a plastic dash on one model, then what's the part number and how many other models used the exact same part? No one said that this will be easy but other companies have done well with after-market repro parts. Just look at Original Parts Group that makes items for the muscle car hobby. They are huge and you can practically build a brand new Camaro just by shopping at their place. HAPCO is run by Brandon, the same guy that owns Lawn and Garden Collector magazine and Brandon makes parts for Deere owners.

No one is trying to discourage you but you need to understand the pitfalls or you'll be in trouble before you know it. Pricing is critical and you won't get your tooling costs back very fast. This is why I suggested that you find some bread and butter high volume accounts that will buy from you month after month and cover all your overhead costs. The repro stuff should be a sideline biz that's underwritten by the regular trade you do. It will take some time for you to tool up for certain parts and then get your name out there to generate sales. It will be slow growth for a few years but eventually you will have built something that will show a profit. Best of luck to you in your venture.

#13 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thanks,

And I don't know nuttin anymore!!!

Sometimes those Wheel Horse items can be found, sometimes not. It's mostly dependent on whether you're looking for one or not I do believe. There were several models that used the same headlight bucket. It is an expensive part though, when you can find it. They also were less than great lights. If you could improve on them with LED, or whatever, you might still find a market. Would I personally buy one? Well, no, I do my best work in the dark, and would hate to jeopardize anything!!!

Dale

#14 Zelda OFFLINE  

Zelda

• Member No: 1839
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 10:29 AM

:ditto:
Almost every 50 and 55 series dash I have ever seen have been cracked really badly.

Another vote on dash panels. My MTD 990's dash was all busted up. I don't think you can come across one that isn't. Those same dashes will fit 760, 860, and 990.

#15 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 12:36 PM

We are always looking for Massey dashes, fender moldings and tunnel covers for the Snapper/Massey 50 and 55 series.