• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Here is my solution to keeping the exhaust under the hood and using what is available on the market today for reasonable prices.   Muffler is the standard muffler used on IH Cub Cadets, found online and at most better lawn mower parts wholesalers like Maple Grove Distrubuting.  Piping is standard black iron from Lowes, comprising a 90' street elbow, standard 90' elbow with a piece of 2" long nipple between them, then a short piece of all thread nipple to go into the muffler and a piece of plumbing drain pipe to make a 90" elbow.  It is bolted to the mufflers output pipe as the pipe is chrome plated brass for a nice finishing touch.  All the black iron is locked with locking rings, but I suspect one could tack weld some of the pieces.   I do plan to make a bracket to brace the bottom end of the muffler.  The muffler has a bracket with a internal nut for mounting on a cub that I can use for a mounting point.  The sound is good, not to loud like the cheap "pepper pot" mufflers are and not high doller and hard to find like the OEM mufflers.  Cheers Mike

cubcadet015_zpsd661b21f.jpg

• bread320i, Alc, jms180 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Good solution! Thanks for sharing it for others to look into!

• larryd said thank you

#3 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I guess that is fine if you don't have a front pto. What is the part number on the muffler?
  • larryd said thank you

#4 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Wow, you saved my wallet on this one! i just got a simplicity and the muffler is shot. it sat outside for 3-5 years. What about one to those muffler from tractor supply that are fatter, but have the 90 degree imput on side and straight output?

• larryd said thank you

#5 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:18 PM

There is a shorter body muffler, with side input and end output, usualy sold to fit Kohler powered Gravely equipment, they work as well, but are a little loud on a 16hp engine.  You can just search for IH Cub Cadet muffler or Kohler muffler on fleabay to find the muffler I used.  Yes its close to the shaft, but I could angle it back toward the frame more and adjust the extension pipe if I planned to use the front PTO, which a snowblower is about the only thing powered from that side of the motor and I have no plans to get one.  The soon to come diesel will have its own exhaust, so this is only temporary till then.   Mike

• larryd said thank you

#6 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 10:32 PM

If it did not come with the front pto, they generally power the blower off the center PTO.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I guess that is fine if you don't have a front pto. What is the part number on the muffler?

There are quite a few different #s these go by. Check out this.

#8 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:56 AM

The link that Kenny posted is what I used, may places you can source it from.  You could just blow the exhaust straight down, but that creates dust on dirt or gravel surfaces.  Like pulling around my buddy at the Portland show.  So I opted for the chrome elbow to shoot it out the left front.at an angle.   Mike

#9 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Here is my solution to keeping the exhaust under the hood and using what is available on the market today for reasonable prices.   Muffler is the standard muffler used on IH Cub Cadets, found online and at most better lawn mower parts wholesalers like Maple Grove Distrubuting.  Piping is standard black iron from Lowes, comprising a 90' street elbow, standard 90' elbow with a piece of 2" long nipple between them, then a short piece of all thread nipple to go into the muffler and a piece of plumbing drain pipe to make a 90" elbow.  It is bolted to the mufflers output pipe as the pipe is chrome plated brass for a nice finishing touch.  All the black iron is locked with locking rings, but I suspect one could tack weld some of the pieces.   I do plan to make a bracket to brace the bottom end of the muffler.  The muffler has a bracket with a internal nut for mounting on a cub that I can use for a mounting point.  The sound is good, not to loud like the cheap "pepper pot" mufflers are and not high doller and hard to find like the OEM mufflers.  Cheers Mike

cubcadet015_zpsd661b21f.jpg

Is this the muffler ?

KOHLER ENGINE MUFFLER 237550 CUB CADET 393840-R91

#10 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM

That is the muffler, I made a small bracket to the frame to keep the lower end from vibrating.  I used the mufflers mounting point and drilled a small hole in the frame.  I will post up a pic later but I am sure you all can make a simple bracket to support the lower end of the muffler.   Mike

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#11 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:06 AM

The engine rebuild will be done next weekend, then i can make the muffler assembly. Pictures would be great!

#12 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Here is a pic of the brace I made up.  Nothing fancy and I am sure no two would be a like as where you mount it depends on what you like.  One could easily make one that mounts back to the engine block as well.   Mike

cubcadet018_zps94343472.jpg

• CubHorse80 said thank you