Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Nice write up larry. Looks like you had more to do to yours than I havw to. My next will be to get the quills cleaned up and painted and bearings in. Having to take my time now unfortunately. What was the color of blue you used on your deck? I need to replace all the bolts nuts, washers etc.. A few new pins and then back together after painting the top of the deck and arms and brackets. Have to get one of the pulleys spotwelded. Loosened it up trying to get it off. More pictures in a while. Roger.

Paint is Royal Blue rattle can.

• hamman said thank you

#32 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Not much done today. way to humid and finger is hurting to much. will post more tomorrow. Hope you have agreat weekend. Roger.

#33 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Got the final 3 coats of paint on the bottom and the top primed with one coat. More as I can get to it with pictures later. Roger.

#34 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Well......still on hold until I can get more cleaning done on the quills. Paint will be mixed today for the top side of deck. Have orders from the Dr. not to be in a dirty or wet environment until they feel it is okay to do so. I did pick up all the new bolts, nuts, washers etc. for reassembly. Can't stand seeing it sit in the garage torn apart. I do feel that the belts are still good and useable so I will not have to replace them. Hope to have a little more done today. Hope you all have a great weekend. Roger. 

#35 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Looks like I will be brush painting the deck. The local guy here that was going to load rattle cans with the Homelite color has decided it's time to close shop and has gone out of business. I had a quart made up at the local Ace Hdwr. by using their computer to scan the color. Had a quart masde up and it looks darn close. Brush painting was not my first choice but then again I'm not doing this for show quality either. I will try to get a couple of coats on it tomorrow and see how it looks. I used a oilbase rust stop paint. Pictures after the first two coats. I just can't sit still so I can paint the deck shell and clean the other parts later and paint them then. Roger.

Edited by hamman, June 15, 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#36 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 04:33 PM

you don't need "original Homelite bearings"  homelite didn't make them then  get the number off them and go to a Napa or a bearing supply house and they can cross them or may have the same exact brand and number on the shelf  and usually cheaper.  though $8/ea don't sound bad.,..

About 3 or 4 years ago I got into a time where it seemed every deck I touched needed new bearings which led me to buy my own hydraulic press via Craigslist. definitely saved way more than what I paid for it in not having to pay a machine shop or hope my buddy with a press was home....