UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hope you can save the deck. Sometimes the simplest things give the most problems.

I would never presume to tell anyone when to use a word, but it is good to know the history.
Depending on what dictionary is your "go-to" dictionary,
It's either a derivative of two words, Wonkavator and Willie
OR
From the Latin Wonkus for Scrap Man

Oxfords even suggests that both may have merit, as they found that Wonkus may have meant "Scrap Man going a thousand different directions", ergo it could be the base word for Wonkavator.

I am now going to take my special pill and have a cup of coffee... Where did that all come from?
:smilewink:

LOL. Yep I am wonky all right.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:13 PM

MH81 that may describe our family very well. About 11 years ago our son and I were at my brother"s house helping him clean his garage. My son picked up a couple of things and threw them in the trailer to go to landfill and my brother told him, "  ......Hey what are you doing....." "Throwing these in the trash, like you said...." " boy you haven't been in this family long enough to realize what to and not to throw away....." So your definition may be just right for this family.

WNY, I think i am going to try that. My son works at the local ACE Hdwr and he said he thought he could get those type of bolts (flat head) and if he can I will use them if not I can take the time to do the carrage bolts.

Just got done helping the elderly lady next door get rid of the 5 trees that came down from the winter. Got a little seat time on the neighbors Kubota and did a little chainsaw work. Have a great weekend guys. Thanks Roger.  

• MH81 said thank you

#18 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:17 AM

Well I went to continue on the deck this morning and I found the center quill froze up????!!! It had been turning freely and smooth. I had it setting on the table and was going to take it off when I couldn't turn it. Got it free and now it runs rough. Taking it off and going to replace the bearings in it also. Having the pulleys pressed off the other and this quill this week also. Should have the deck wire brushed today and have it ready for rust inhibitor and then primer and then later paint. Have to get the push mower out for the wife this am so she can mow the back yard. ( she is chomping at the bit to get it mowed.) Back later with more info.. Hopefully newsd will be better. Thanks. Roger. 

#19 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:53 AM

The push mower here is a little reel mower. Tell the wife the grass growing up will be a test for the quality of the deck rebuild.

• hamman said thank you

#20 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Got the deck stripped of all parts on it and got it ready to start brushing it. My son said he might have a friend that would sand blast it for a good price. He has it now and is going to see if it is possible. Will let you know more later. Thanks. Roger.

#21 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Took the center quill with double pulleys and the  parts quills to my BILs shop to press the pulleys off. We damaged one pulley but saved the important ones. Once this was done I couldn't  the bottom bearing off the shaft. I broke the outer race off to get to the inner race. I had to grind the inner race off on two sides so I could get a wrench on it. Applied a little heat and twisted the  inner race off galling the shaft a small amount. Used a file on it and bearings will slide on them fine. I found the the quills have a half moon key in them and at the bottom of tehm is a little "tit" that sticks out. Some of the pulleys catch on these making it hard to get off. We found that once you get the shaft to move under pressure from the press you should stop and tap it back down put some oil on it and go slowly agin doing this several times. Here is a picture of the bearing race and keys.DSCF4231.JPG

Tomorrow I will start cleaning the quill shell getting them ready for rust inhibator and prime and paint. Thursday I have to make a daytrip 90 miles one way to get the bearings and some thrust washers. I found that on the bottom and top of the quills under the pulley there are thrust washers that have what appear to be "cork" on one side. I assume this is to prevent moisture from comming in. (didn't work very well), then again maybe it did, after all it is 40 yrs old. My BIL has large gas operated compressor that I am going to use to sand blast the deck for painting. I plan on using sand as that is all the blaster will do. I would of prefered another type of blast material but not an option. Back with more tomorrow with before sandblast pics of deck and parts. I have to get a neighbors LT in the garage tomorrow to see if I can get it running. (son got me into this one). That may be another topic I will be posting on soon it's an old Toro LT. Thanks. Roger.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:24 AM

Can't wait to see it finished. That's a great deck for 40 years old. I'm sure you'll get another 40 out of it.

#23 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Had some time today to get some brushing done on the deck. I am so glad that it was made of great steel of an amazing thickness. I tried to get some closeups of the pitting on the top but the camera will not do that well on closeups. The top has a big bunch of pitting big time. It is still solid and useable. I am surprised at the underside! It has almost no pitting on it. It appears that it didn't have the same amount of paint on it as the top did. I know that my dad always washed the deck out after he used it and had us do the smae when we borrowed it. Since I've had it I usually washed it after about two mowings. My grass is growing in sand so it gets a blasting everytime I mow. I will try to get my son to take some pics with his camera and get them posted. I decided not to sand / media balst it as the price of $30.00 dollars ove rthe phone changed to $75.00 in person. I was going to use the BILs big compressor with a HF blaster but the compressor woun't run now. I went to local ACE hdwr and talked to owner and he said ACE Rust Stop and Rustoleum are made by the same company. They can tint the ACE brand for my color of blue I want. They can color match as long as I take in a paint chip. More later as I start painting and reassembling. Roger.

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Sounds like good headway being made, can't wait to hear the feedback and see the results.

#25 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thing were going fairly well today until........it didn't ! Picked up a new knoted wire wheel and was cleaning up the bottom of the deck when I moved my left hand to the bottom of the angle grinder and it grabbed and sucked my left index finger into between the guard and wire wheel.....!!!!!!!!! (*&&^%&*((^&##@##$$%^^****^^% ! yup you know it. I have a gouge on the left side of the finger and then I saw that I lost the nail, or most of it anyway. Turned the grinder off and took hold of the finger and took a breath. Looked again and saw that there was no dangling parts or large chunks missing. held pressure on it got the wife rinsed it and covered it and we left for the 30 mile trip to the hospital. Once there at the ER the nurse said I was the second one today with nearly the same injury. His was on the right hand. after washing it in a antibacterial soap they looked at it determined that it was not going to require stitches but was going to need wrapping and elevated. They decided not to remove the rest of the nail. SInce I have not had a tetnus shot in 10 yrs I received one and was sent on my way. I can usually take pian fairly well. Have smashed my toes and broken an ankle smashed my fingers and thumbs. They hurt but not like this. I have some motrin to help with the pain so I should be good.

My own stupidity caused it and now I am suffering. I post this to remind everyone that safety and caution is key when you are working with power tools.

Needless to say we just finished dinner and didn't get to have the campfire and friends overtonight. I am thankful that the finger is still attached and I will be able to keep learning to play the banjo. My son is taking care of a few of my chores tonight and I thank him for that.

Have agreat rest of the weekend guys. I'll try to be back at it tomorrow but it will be at a slower and more careful pace.

No pictures guys. Sorry.... and yes it did happen...... even without the pictures. I have to thank my Lovely wife for her calm and ever so funny way of keeping me calmer that I thought I could be.  Roger.

• MH81 said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Sorry to hear of the injury, Roger! Hope you heal soon and can get back to fixing things!

• hamman said thank you

#27 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Several years back I nearly lost half of my left thumb due to an angle grinder and plain old grinding wheel, seeing the puff of dust as the grinder grooved the bone in my finger was disconcerting. If I had a cut off wheel installed I'm fairly certain I would've lost it completely. Needless to say ever since then I've had a healthy respect for the danger of power tools! Hope you heal up soon!
  • hamman said thank you

#28 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Been to the Dr. two days in a row for the finger. having it rebandaged and cleaned. looks a lot better but still not ready to use. i will have a lenghty recovery and possibly rehab for it. i had to do something besides set around and mope. got out the sandpaper had some help putting the deck up on sawhorses and finished sanding the deck. took some frog-tape and covered the original caution decals so i can paint over them. will have new ones made later on by clickit and sticket.  my son brought me home a quart of rustoleum metal primer that he tinted light blue( just because he wanted to) and i put two coats on the bottom. we are going to use rustloeum sprayon hammered paint to paint the bottom with. i am going to use a good sprayon sandable primer for the topside an then ford implement blue for finish. i took a paint chip in and tey matched it to the homelite blue as close as possible.  took a few pics for you to see progress. DSCF4310.JPG sanded ready for primer.DSCF4311.JPG first coat of primer.DSCF4314.JPG 2nd coat of primer on bottom. roger 

#29 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:30 PM

I don't like doing this, but your deck looks alot like mine. I restored mine "over there" and for a lack of saved pictures, here are my trials with a 50" deck. http://www.mytractor...ney pit&page=44

If posiing the "other site" causes issues, please let me know.

• hamman said thank you

#30 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Nice write up larry. Looks like you had more to do to yours than I havw to. My next will be to get the quills cleaned up and painted and bearings in. Having to take my time now unfortunately. What was the color of blue you used on your deck? I need to replace all the bolts nuts, washers etc.. A few new pins and then back together after painting the top of the deck and arms and brackets. Have to get one of the pulleys spotwelded. Loosened it up trying to get it off. More pictures in a while. Roger.

• larrybl said thank you