UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,396 Thanks
  • 8,255 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Just showed the wife your posts. She said if you ever get down south to give us a yell and she will cook dinner. Might even kill a chicken for ya.

#32 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,771 Thanks
  • 4,720 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Dunno Willie...what with my track record of bringing rain, and as much as you have been having...you might have to build an Ark for you, the family, and the critters if I show up.

#33 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,396 Thanks
  • 8,255 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Just come during a drought. If it gets too bad we can load all the animals up in the motor home and fit it with some floats.

• KennyP said thank you

#34 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,278 Thanks
  • 925 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, getting his truck number would have been nice, but I was just too danged busy to do that.

I'm hoping that FedEx does GPS tracking of their trucks, and that with the approximate time and location that they just might be able to identify him.

In any event, I WILL be sending an email with all of the pertinent information.  I'm not so much worried about getting any damages since almost all of the damages is cosmetic.  I just would like for Einstein to get his pee-pee whacked for being a dumbass driver.

There's really no way to actually prove anything except for our word, so legally there would be no recourse.

Well, we are now in a Flying J truck stop for the night.  The seller of the lift is only 18 miles or so from here, so with an early start in the morning we will get that picked up, and then head out for the duals.

OH, did I mention that Chicago drivers SUCK?  Not only do they suck, the horse they rode in on sucks and so do their little dogs too!  Even after we stayed in the service plaza to miss rush hour, at danged near 8:00 their time they still  had the freeway all bolloxed up.  I'm danged sure glad that I don't live there and have to fight their traffic every day. I thought that the Cleveland drivers sucked, but the Chicago drivers take suckage to a whole new level.

The trick with getting through Chicago is to not go through Chicago. Go around Chicago on the Tri-State if you are traveling from points east to points northwest, like Wisconsin.

#35 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 6,771 Thanks
  • 4,720 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Sitting here in Ft. Wayne, IN....in yet another Walmart Parking lot  :D :D :D

The last few days have NOT been fun.

Remember the "NEW" tires?  When we left to go pick up the Haban part, at my first fuel stop after getting them put on, I was talking to another RV owner about them, and decided to check the date codes.  The fronts have a code of 4412 which means that they were made in the 44th week of 2012.  Now that's a bit older than I would have liked, and there are a lot of RVers that would not accept them, but I'm OK with them.

However, rears were showing a date code of 5009!  Now, that means they were made in Dec 2009, and were almost 3 1/2 years old. THAT is unacceptable when you consider a 6 yr tire life on an RV.  I was mightily vexed.

I talked to the wife and we decided that since we were so close to where I was picking up the part, that we would wait until we finish that and were heading back north before I called the Rockdale store to get this resolved.

After the pickup, I gave them a call, and the manager there decided he was going to pee on my head and tell me that it was raining.  He claimed that they we OK, and that the 'ozone deterioration' only started after they were installed, and that in any event the Hankook 5 yr warranty would cover then, etc., etc.  Well for one thing the Hankook warranty covers from the DATE OF MFG., not the date of install among other things.

I decided that I wasn't going to argue with him any more, and would contact their home office.  The dealer is Pomp's Tires, and they have a multitude of locations all over the upper mid-west. This was late in the afternoon, so we plotted course to another Walmart in Terre Haute, and stayed overnight.

Bright and early, I called the home office in Green bay, and explained the situation to the lady that answered the phone.  She transferred me to the District Manager for IL region who listened, agreed with me, and immediately said that they would make it right.  He wanted to know where I was and when I told him I was in IN, he said that he would have to contact a different Regional Manager as he didn't cover IN., but that it WOULD be taken care of.

After a wait of an hour or two the IN manager called me and based on my route, suggested that I stop in their store in Indianapolis which was open 24/7.  So off we went, and I got there around 3:00.  After about an hour wait in line, and another hour to get the new tires installed, I was ready to roll again.  This time with MUCH fresher tires.  These were still a bit older than I would have liked, but they were the newest that they had in stock, and I was willing to accept that.  I gotta say, that the 'Corporate Guys' were right on top of it, and offered no excuses.  Even though I had the problem to start with, I would still recommend Pomp's for anyone that lives in an area where they do business.  It appears that with the exception of the mgr. of the Rockdale, IL store, everyone else, in management at least, has a serious commitment to customer satisfaction.

Anyway, we were back on the road again, and heading to the Ft; Wayne area to look at a Bolens Sweeper that I have found on CraigsList.  Thinking it over, I decided tp stop in a rest area and look at the ad again.  With a closer look at it, I decided that it was just a bit rougher than I wanted to deal with, so I called the guy and told him that I wans't going to stop to look at it.  I also pulled up the CL Ad that I had bookmarked for the 1250 in PA, and found that it had been removed by the seller, so that was off the table.

Probably a good thing, as with the cost of the tires, I really don't need to be spending $$ on 'new' tractors for awhile.  :D :D :D

So, having stayed here in Ft. Wayne overnight, I'm ready to batten down the hatches and make the final run for home.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 09, 2013 - 07:40 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#36 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,396 Thanks
  • 8,255 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:44 AM

I hate managers like that. I have made them call their corporate office right then and there before, and then right in front of them, I tell them what an idiot their manager is. Usually seems to work.  Glad you got it resolved. Can't have tires blowing out with Mrs. B hanging on teh side of the Rainmaker.

#37 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,360 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:45 AM

And here I thought my in-laws were the only ones to hang out in Walmart parking lots !! Lol

They've traveled all over the country and I don't think they've ever paid to park their motor home. They will avoid any town that has a no overnight parking ordinance.

Their diesel generator has A LOT of hours on it. But my FIL takes care of it very well. Guess it pays off not having to pay for RV spots every night when traveling.

That sure seems odd that they would have had those tires on the shelf for so long, you'd think they would have have rotated the stock to avoid that.

#38 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:11 PM

OB , your travels remind of the late Charles Kuralt and his On the Road that he did for CBS news.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." Charles Kuralt

• OldBuzzard and KennyP have said thanks

#39 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:02 PM

That sure seems odd that they would have had those tires on the shelf for so long, you'd think they would have have rotated the stock to avoid that.

Their method might include rotating them out and onto the vehicles of  the unsuspecting travelers in need.

• KennyP said thank you

#40 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 6,771 Thanks
  • 4,720 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:06 PM

OB , your travels remind of the late Charles Kuralt and his On the Road that he did for CBS news.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." Charles Kuralt

His 'On the road" series was the inspiration for the thread title.

One more update on the tires.  Just as I had all the hatches battened down and was ready to move out this morning, I got a call from Prompt's Corporate office wanting to know if everything was taken care of to my satisfaction.  I assured them that all was hunky-dory now and that I found their customer service top notch. They were happy, I'm happy, and all is well with the work  :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I'm home now, and the grass........well, let's just say that the Haban Sickle-Mo is going to be deployed shortly.

• olcowhand, John@Reliable and KennyP have said thanks

#41 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Nice to hear ya made it back to homebase safe, all things considered. :thumbs:  Thanks for takin us along.

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,743 Thanks
  • 43,007 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound, OB. Guess you'll have to return to homebase more often just for mowing duties! At least long enough to mow.