• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 bicyclemotocross OFFLINE  

bicyclemotocross

• Member No: 1809
  • 35 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Helped Dad (Framesteer) this weekend with the LK.  We had to figure out why it puked all the oil out of the engine  and onto the garage floor over the winter.  It turned the leak was coming from the right rear most engine  mounting bolt hole.  The PO must have broken the bolt off and when drilling for an ez out the drill walked off the bolt.  The drilled hole was less than an eigth inch diamter and followed the softer aluminium sump case threads.  Dad didnt have oil in the engine when he mounted it the LK so he didnt notice the leak.  Luckily the LK came with another engine (5hp) so we stole the sump case half, drilled and tapped for the LK oil drain plug location, replaced the crankseal and a new  gasket.  Fired up third pull after sitting all winter

A couple of things are need to really complete the restoration correctly.  He needs:

two Pedal Pads, part number 1716444

original Seat Pan 1717351

Steering Wheel Cap 1720273 Black

Dad also thinks there was never an engine hood 1717971, but I think there pretty cool and would be neat to have one.

And the mower lifting linkages explained below.

If you have any parts please contact him Framesteer.

That cover must have been made after the Lawn Keeper ceased production.... The Husky Dog logo didnt come out until 1971

Also note the Husky Dog in the LK brochure.  I did not photoshop.

There is a simple over-center attachment lift mechanism for transport that mounts on the tractor beside the steering column and has linkage to the attachments.  You can see the ear welded on the mower cross tube in the second picture.  I have been asking through this forum for someone to send me the dimensions of this lift mechanism so I can make one.  I have one drawn up, but it is from memory and I'd like to have the right dimensions before I spend the money to make it.  So, if anyone has a LK with this lift mechanism, PLEASE CONTACT ME.  Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• LKBROCHURECLIP.JPG

Edited by bicyclemotocross, August 25, 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#17 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Really interested in this restoration as I hope to buy a Lawn Keeper myself. Unlike yours it doesn't have the original engine or seat. The seller got rid of the deck as it was beyond redemption. However it does look solid and I hope to buy a seat pan for it to make it look better. In the UK, these are LKs are very rare. Be interested to know where you sourced your parts. By the way you have done a fabulous job on restoring your lawn Keeper. Andrew.

#18 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:49 AM

My Dad was a Bolens dealer from the 60's until his death in the early 80's.  We sold quite a few lawn keepers,.  When we shut down the shop after his death, we returned some of the Bolens parts inventory for credit, but kept the parts that we needed to service the equipment relatives had purchased.  So, I was very lucky to have most all the parts I needed for the restoration in inventory.  We had to make some, we had to buy some, we had to substitute some, but finally gathered up what we needed.  If you send me a list of parts you are needing, I may be able to help.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#19 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will be collecting my LK over the Christmas Holidays. I will draft a list of wants when I have gone through it. I will post some photos of it when it's back here. What I do need is an original seat as the current one is a plastic garden chair (horrible) and anoriginal engine as it has a modern one which works but it is not in keeping. It moves freely and it starts and stop well and the chassis appears to be in good structural condition. Happily it still got the original steering wheel. The guy I bought it off from scrapped the mower de k a few weeks ago.......

What sort of stuff have you got for the Lawn Keeper?

Cheers

Andrew

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:38 PM

My Dad was a Bolens dealer from the 60's until his death in the early 80's.  We sold quite a few lawn keepers,.  When we shut down the shop after his death, we returned some of the Bolens parts inventory for credit, but kept the parts that we needed to service the equipment relatives had purchased.  So, I was very lucky to have most all the parts I needed for the restoration in inventory.  We had to make some, we had to buy some, we had to substitute some, but finally gathered up what we needed.  If you send me a list of parts you are needing, I may be able to help.

Did your father have any interesting signs he purchased or was awarded by Bolens

Also if you feel comfortable saying so what was the dealership called? I always like to know as I get paperwork from dealerships across the country and always love learning the history behind them and if the shop is still around.