14 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Alright, now addicted to Bolens tractors. Been picking up parts and downloading manuals like crazy. Looking for a support group, and this is it...hahaha. I now have a 1000, 1050, and a 1455. Unfortunately, every one of them is a bit of a project, but they are all there so that is good I guess. Minus some electrical parts and batteries, I'm only into the three I have a couple bills, which is the only reason the wife hasn't blown a gasket yet. So, I spotted another one near where I live. It is sitting on a dead end road up a mountain, and it's been sitting there for a long time by the looks of it. I think it is a Bolens 600. But figured I'd throw a picture up here and confirm. Now I just have to have a strategy to talk the owner into selling it, for a good price. I think if I'm already 3 deep into Bolens, what's 1 more? Plus, it's small and cute and the wife loves small and cute things...okay, that sounds terrible. What's the best strategy approaching somebodies dark cabin in the woods that has a tractor out front you're interested in?

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 600.jpg

• MH81, MailmAn and jim knutson have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:55 PM

I haven't heard much in the way of problems thus far. Keepin wife happy is good thinkin and as to the approach to the cabin, I might gently sound the horn on my way in kinda as the long range doorbell. that should alert the dogs, wear your workin clothes and smile. :wave:

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm not sure of the BEST way, but do not recommend approaching a mountain cabin in a black SUV while wearing a cheap black suit and dark sunglasses.  Especially if you have some sort of official looking crest on the SUV's doors & are traveling with a handful of friends in similar attire. 

• Newpaws493, superaben and Oregon_Bolens have said thanks

#4 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Steve, welcome to the forum, and to the "bolens bug" lol. it looks like either a 600 or 800 to me. about the cabin approach...i say park where they can see you coming up un-armed, and without hunting gear, just so they will at least answer the door! seriously though, being as it is that you also are from Oregon, and with rain possible even on a nice day, just go up and ask about it before it either rusts away, or i figure out where it is, and go get it myself...Lol! get it and have fun.

• Newpaws493 and Oregon_Bolens have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Well, my friend, it couldn't be worse than when I stopped on a back road to look at a garden tractor used as a landscaping piece of art.  It was old, as in really old, and it was semi-decent looking for sitting outside.  So I pull in, and I spy a man sitting in a Ford Explorer in his driveway chewing tobacco and spitting into a Nestle chocolate milk bottle.  The contents were refilling exactly the same color, but a different concoction that was not as palatable.

Anyway.

I get out of my truck, walk over a few feet, and the character rolls down the window and sticks his hand out to shake my hand.  I introduce myself, and he says that I shouldn't worry about him.

"Oh!" says I, unconvinced of what I should say.

"Yeah," says the man.  "I was hot inside the house, come out to the car to cool down a bit." 

I didn't say thing, but got into talking about a tractor.  It was a Bush Hog.  He fed much a bunch of you-know-what about the history of the manufacturer of the tractor (he says he was related to the founder), its age (late 1930's), and his own family history (father was named after Franklin Roosevelt. Confirmed fake by an internet search of "children named after presidents.").  Consider how much his mouth flapped up and down and so little truth came out, I figured he was a retired politician. 

The end of the long story was the man took my number and said he would call me after he thought about my offer.  He called me and asked to meet behind a local pizza joint.  I decided that just wasn't worth pursuing.  I liked my truck and my life too much at the time.

If its better than that, you're doin' fine.

Ben W.

• Newpaws493, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, MailmAn and 2 others have said thanks

#6 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I wanted to name it Albert. I don't know why, I just thought it was fitting.

#7 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Wow! Crazy story! Don't think I'd meet as well...not worth a tractor.

Jim, I better hurry up. Looks like you're not far up I5. I lived in W Salem for the last couple years. Just moved back south a few months back. Salem is a good area for tractors, and it's close to Portland which has the population of the state.

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Forgot to mention let someone responsible know where you're going, before you get there :D

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Its a 600

Looks to be a 1964-1965 model

#10 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:16 PM

I thought so, but didn't want to go any closer to lift the hood and get motor number. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to give it a shot at bringing it home.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 07:00 AM

I thought so, but didn't want to go any closer to lift the hood and get motor number. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to give it a shot at bringing it home.

HHHMMMMM...after some of the preceding posts, I don't think I'd be using the bolded word when talking about that particular tractor :rolling:

Anyway, good luck on your quest.  Hope you  can add another one to the herd. 

#12 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well, finally got a chance yesterday to head up the hill to the cabin where the 600 sits. I even got the guts to go knock on the door of the cabin, which you have to go through another door to get to it...pretty sketch. Anyway, nobody answered even though a truck sits next to the cabin. Maybe it's somebody's weekend get-a-way. I did take some more pictures of it, and got a closer look. It'd take a lot of work. What's that saying?, a 2 at 10(pm), and a 10 at 2 (am). Well, this thing is a 5 at 100 (ft) and a 2 at 2 (ft)...? But, I'd still take it off this guys hands if he was willing to let go of it for cheap! :rocker2:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3839.jpg
  • IMAG3841.jpg
  • IMAG3843.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Spoon on the hood?

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Spoon on the hood?

Yep, I saw that too :D

Hood ornament?

#15 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Good eye guys! I'm hoping I can talk the owner out the spoon too!