• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nice tractor, that thing sounds just like my two cylinder Yanmar.

#17 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have one of those that is parted out,it is a 4x4 with a 4way blade on it.

Edited by Auburn, September 02, 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 12:35 PM

It has been a while since I posted on this thread. At the end of last summer the oil pressure dummy light started coming. It started coming on after running for a while, especially after idling down. At first it would just flicker but it kept getting worse and worse. By the time I parked it in late fall it would come on completely after the tractor ran for no more then a few minutes. I decided that until I could figure out the problem I wasn't going to run it.

Well yesterday I finally had time to hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage. I was pleased to see that it actually has good pressure.

Cold 1400rpm: 55psi

Cold 4000rpm: 60psi

Warm 1400rpm: 30psi

Warm 4000rpm: 50psi

The lowest I could get the pressure was at warm idle when I hit the 3pt lift to pick up the 500 pound finish mower... then it only dropped to about 23psi. Service manual says the pressure should be 28 - 64 psi.

So I guess the old dummy light sending unit was going bad.

Tech: To connect a standard 1/8" NPT oil pressure fitting to the Kubota Z500, you need a 1/8 NPT Female x 1/8 BSPT Male Adapter adaptor. http://www.mcmaster....860k141/=wkhkez

:thumbs:

Edited by twostep, April 01, 2015 - 07:09 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Good to hear your oil pressure was OK. Things like that can upset a  guys peace of mind. 

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Yes it can... this is my favorite and most valuable tractor so I was particularly worried about it.

Now it's time to till up the garden!!

Edited by twostep, April 02, 2015 - 09:06 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 09:47 AM

Glad the pressure was up there! I hate those stupid lights.

#22 ClinchMtnMan OFFLINE  

ClinchMtnMan
  • Member No: 78030
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 06:14 PM

I just purchased a B5100E from an estate. Paid $400. It has a rear PTO mower deck (not sure of the specs).  It has been garaged but not run for about 5 years and there is no battery.. It seems to be in good condition but I have a few questions perhaps someone can help me with.  I'm not a tractor pro but a fair DIY mechanic.

1. What should I do BEFORE I attempt to start it?  Obviously I need a battery. The fuel tank is about 3/4 full. The fuel filter appears to be reasonably clean. The air filter is black. The oil on the stick looks black.

2. The Glow Plug SWITCH seems to be missing...but maybe not. There is just a hole where I would expect a button. (photo attached) Is that just where the plug is adjusted or something?

3. There is no ignition KEY.  The SWITCH is there, just no key with it. Plus it appears the prior owner was jumping the switch. (See photo.)  Can I simply buy the generic Kubota key or should I replace the switch?

4. There is another blank "hole" in the dashboard. It is to the far right and has a couple "lightning" symbols pointing to a black dot.  Is there something missing there?

Thanks for your help!

B5100E Dashboard - Glow Plug.JPG B5100 Ignition Switch Back - Note Extra Wires - See next photo.JPG B5100 Ignition Switch Back - Jumper Wires.JPG B5100 Dashboard - Hole.JPG B5100 Ignition Switch - No Key.JPG B5100.JPG B5100 Rear.JPG

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:46 PM

:welcometogttalk:

See if I can help. First thing to do is drain the gas tank and if you can swing it, change the fuel filters. At least drain the filters and refill with fresh fuel. 

I would loosen the drain plugs on the oil pan, differential, and transmission to see if any condensation has accumulated there, If not and the oil levels are OK I would change them after the tractor has been run up to normal operating temps. 

Check your cooling water.

I believe the glow plugs are activated by turning the ignition switch counter clockwise from the off position (preheat). It should be spring loaded and want to return to the off position when released. Then you turn it to the right to start it after warming the glow plugs. 

From what I can tell from the photos the round hole with nothing in it looks like it might have been the horn button. 

You should be able to get a key from a Kubota dealer. Be sure and have the model and serial numbers with you. 

If there is anything we can help you with just ask.

Edited by Cvans, November 24, 2015 - 10:49 PM.

• ClinchMtnMan said thank you

#24 ClinchMtnMan OFFLINE  

ClinchMtnMan
  • Member No: 78030
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, Cyans!  Very helpful. 

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Not sure if you still need help on this but first off, GREAT price on that kubota. If the engine is in decent shape, you got the rest of the tractor for free! I've got soft copies of the service manual if you need.

1. What should I do BEFORE I attempt to start it?  Obviously I need a battery. The fuel tank is about 3/4 full. The fuel filter appears to be reasonably clean. The air filter is black. The oil on the stick looks black.  See Cvans reply.

2. The Glow Plug SWITCH seems to be missing...but maybe not. There is just a hole where I would expect a button. (photo attached) Is that just where the plug is adjusted or something? That hole is not where the glow plug switch is, it is the sight window for the glow plug coil/indicator. After you hold the ignition switch counter-clockwise for 15-20 you will see the a spring looking thing start to glow through that little hole. 

3. There is no ignition KEY.  The SWITCH is there, just no key with it. Plus it appears the prior owner was jumping the switch. (See photo.)  Can I simply buy the generic Kubota key or should I replace the switch? Not sure about a replacement key... might have to replace the whole switch.

4. There is another blank "hole" in the dashboard. It is to the far right and has a couple "lightning" symbols pointing to a black dot.  Is there something missing there? Mine has the same hole and I have no idea what it is for. The parts manual just calls it "switch"... 

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 09:26 AM

And my kids still love the little tractor too!

c83bf67af040a0737d199c38499c7ab2.jpg

5dd6b8dbca91dc408532eacad23d04ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#27 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Nice little Kubota, should last you for years.  I have a similar size Deutz Allis 5215 with a belly mower.  I plan to get a rear mounted mower in the future.  We are planning to move to the country in the coming years, so kind of upgrading now, I replaced my 318 JD with the DA.  Glad the little tractor is working out great.   Mike