#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 02:51 PM

I never have made a thread for my Kubota B5100E so I figured I would. I bought it early last summer and it was my first GT/SCUT. I had just signed the dotted line for a bigger place and needed something to cut a bigger yard.

This was a little overkill but I also wanted to be able to work a decent size garden and the price was decent. It came with an old cobbled together 6" single bottom plow, a cobbled together rear blade, a worn out belly mower and a really nice, almost new 48" Coroni finish mower. It had worn out old mismatched turf tires on the front and the rears weren't much better.

This is what looked like when I went to pick it up.

Kubota.jpg

After looking and looking I finally found a decently priced set of lug tires.

IMG_5170.JPG IMG_5176.JPG

Then I decided that I was tired of getting cramps in my hips from the seat being too low and too far forward... So I moved it.

IMG_5573.JPG

Last I got a new set of rib tires for the front, loaded with 4 gallons each.

DSCN0967.JPG

kubota later.jpg

Edited by twostep, May 01, 2013 - 02:58 PM.

• daytime dave, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Bobby, that looks like a great mower set up you have there and you have to love the fuel economy with that diesel.

• twostep said thank you

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Brian. It will flat mow some grass and yes I really enjoy it's fuel efficiency. It burns about 1/4 gallon an hour mowing at 3/4 throttle... can't beat that.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well I knew you had it and did not think I had ever seen it. After getting my Ford I am sold on the SCUT/CUT Tractors.

And I don't think I would call it overkill at all. They are nice and I'm sure you love it. Don't underestimate the little guy. It may put out less Hp than many GT's used on here( You have Big Belgians not Welsh Ponies) but I bet if you work it, it will surprize you.

I'm thinking one day I will have to replace the 318 for lawn work(the Blue Mule can do the garden and field work) but that's the size I'm looking for to one day replace the 318.

What size tires did you put on the rear? They fill out the fenders like I have never seen on  one before(looks great).

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 01, 2013 - 03:25 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:53 PM

So far I've worked her pretty hard pulling a 12" plow, weighted disc and that big heavy finish mower. I have even tugged (steering with my cutting brakes) my 16' car hauler trailer around the yard. She hasn't laid down on me yet... even with those oversized ag's!!

Yeah, I'm happy with how the ag's filled the fenders. I thought the turfs that were on it looked silly. They actually look tighter than they are. I can fit my fingers between the fenders and the tires without touching but I might space the fenders up another 1/2" or so just to make sure. The tires are 7.5-16's and I think they measure about 30" OD. The bolt pattern is 6 on 6" which is not real common, especially in 16" so I had to buy them new.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:30 PM

I think you probably have enough clearance as long as your not pushing snow. Up here chains are a must to push snow and you would surely need more clearance.

• twostep said thank you

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics.  I am curious to know what sort of price you paid for it.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Nice setup there! Looks good with the new tires.

• twostep said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Got yourself a honey of a tractor there. Should last you for years and cost next to nothing to operate.

• twostep said thank you

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm glad you all like it. After getting my Cub I had thought about taking her off mowing duty but the fuel usage difference is unbelievable. So until I've got one of these baby kubota diesels in a standard GT I guess I'll keep on splitting up the seat time :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing the pics.  I am curious to know what sort of price you paid for it.

I gave $1400 for the tractor, belly mower with PTO/mule drive, 42" blade, plow, the large fmco wheel weights and a set of Cub wheel weights and the almost new finish mower. I think I got a really good deal considering the mower coat $1340 new: http://www.agrisuppl...charge/p/27846/

It's got some features that I like, the rear hubs can mount with the mounting surface facing in or out and they can be pinned in three different locations.So that gives you 6 choices for each rear wheel. Plus I think I could move the existing hubs all the way in and have room on the axle to slide another set on giving me duels... I don't really have the need... or $500 for the hubs, wheels, and tires... but it is something to think about. It has high/low range and 1st gear is barely moving. Nice for tilling. Has cutting brakes, dif lock, and from what I've seen/read it's really easy to tap into the high pressure line to run hydraulic cylinders.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Just a video of me starting it up: 

• Cvans said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for making a thread about it.  I had a 5100E too.  It had a Woods belly mower and a snowblower.  It went in a trade for one of dad's new tractors.

• twostep said thank you

#13 busteroonie OFFLINE  

busteroonie
  • Member No: 59606
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:14 AM

hi, im new to all of this, recently just purchased a b5100e which has a 48" flemming grass topper on skids not quite sure which is the best way to use this ,i.e what gear i should be in,, what rpm range ,, how fast should i be moving and do i have it in the hare ratio or the tortoise :smilewink: , thanks in advance

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:27 AM

Welcome Buster. Yes, these gearing on these isn't the easiest to choose when mowing with a 3pt mower. I usually mow in 4th gear and it is a tad slow, 5th is too fast though. When it had the smaller factory turf tires I could mow in 5th. I run mine at about 3/4 throttle but I'm not sure what RPM's that is. I finally got an optical digital tach so I need to check. Good luck with yours and post up some pictures if you would like.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:20 AM

i can not say on the Kubota but on my ford 1500 the tach is marked at about 2200 rpm for 540 rpm at the pto.
Max rpm is 2500 so pulling the 5 ft mower I run it at 2500. But then again i am not mowing the lawn and my pasture is usually about a foot tall when i mow it once a month so its probably pulling back a couple hundred rpm?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 08, 2014 - 11:21 AM.