#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I finally got around to installing the new wheels onto my mower deck.The new wheels have greaseable bearings in them.There a bit larger in diam. so they will roll a lot better.The old wheels were completely shot and the price from the dealer just didn't make sense.See the above [post] The other thing was that the axle shafts were also worn out so buying just the wheels would not have been the answer.I had to cut the old axles off and replaced them.Of course it wasn't just that simple the old axles were 7/8" dia. The wheels have a bore of 3/4". I ended up filling in the hole and drilled and tapped the mount.The new hole was dropped down 1/2" to allow the new wheel to have some clearance.The rear wheels were the easiest ones to do I didn't have to modifiy the rear of the deck,The front were a bit more of a challenge.Because the from wheels pivot [like a shopping cart] I had to change the front of the mower a bit.The lip that goes around the mower had to be moved closer to the deck to allow the front wheels to pivot,without rubbing on the deck.Doing this mod will only allow the deck to cut 2" on the lowest setting.Thats Ok for me I never cut the lawn that short anyway. The last thing will be to put some paint on the bare metal and it'll be good to go for this years mowing season.OH yeah the 4 new wheels cost me the price that MF was asking for 1.The axles now can be changed out just by screwing in a new bolt and locking the back of the bolt with a nut.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• mower deck 003 (Small).jpg
  • mower deck 004 (Small).jpg
  • mower deck 006 (Small).jpg

• KennyP, twostep and larryd have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Nice set of wheels you have now! Glad you could make them work!

• larryd said thank you

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like a nice mod

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:10 PM

They look like they are made for the mower, a nice upgrade.