18 replies to this topic

#1 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 19133
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Picked this up today at a sale. The price was right so it road home with me.

Sold by Sears and Roebuck and made by David Bradley the tag says.

Just wondering about the years this was made and what other implements there were for it.

Also, was there a name for this unit or just a model number.

Up near the handles it says David Bradley as well.

All I got was the blade with it. The tires are solid. Does not seem like it would push much with this blade with tires like this.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• David Bradley walking tractor 005_640x480.jpg
  • David Bradley walking tractor 001_640x480.jpg
  • David Bradley walking tractor 003_640x480.jpg
  • David Bradley walking tractor 002_640x480.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Cool machine ! Never saw one of those . I wonder if it was made in the sixties once the 4 wheel DB started being sold ?  

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I'd a bought it. It looks to have been repowered. The last of the DB's were made in 1967.

• Alc said thank you

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:55 AM

looks a little different then the other DBs on here. really neat though

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 08:10 AM

DB really made a lot of different items.

#6 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://members.lsol.....htm#implements

http://gardentractor...db-attachments/

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:59 AM

That's a nice little machine. That blade would likely work nice on a walkway for clearing snow. I was going to suggest it may be repowered. The Briggs looks late 60's + to me.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Very COOL little machine, I have never seen one of those before. Glad you got it and kept it from ending up being scraped. :thumbs:

#9 Stubby OFFLINE  

Stubby
  • Member No: 34568
  • 28 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:47 AM

Nice 2 wheeler. Brings back memories of the one I used to have. They did come with a hood and I beliebe a 2 horse engine. at least the one I had did. When I got mine it also only came with a blade but looking through some junk a guy had in the back of his truck I found a sickle mower for it. One thing I can say, they will keep pushing snow and when it hits a drift to big it will dig itself into the ground instead of quitting.

Great find!!!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:06 AM

This is a little smaller version of what most see when they google David Bradley. Dad has one with a small cultivator behind it.

#11 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is the last version of the Handiman tractor, built in the late 59's to early 60's. There where several attachments for it like a generator, front mount tillers, dump cart, cultivators. They made it under several model numbers. The DB people call them a little bugger. Some of them are green and some are blue. If i remeber right they only came out with a model 8 briggs engine, most had a rope winder, but some had a recoil.

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#12 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering about the engine and whether it might or might not be original.

Anyone have a pic of another one like this? As you can see this one is blue or blue green .

Need to take the fly wheel off and sand off the mag contacts and magnets. No spark.

I still wonder why they would put this style of tire on something that was going to be pushing snow or maybe even rock or dirt.

Not much tread there for traction effort. Not much weight either.  Does not look like it ever had any kind of hood on it from what I can see. Picked this up at a church sale. I know the guy that donated it to them. May go ask him about any other attatchments that might be laying around.

Steve

#13 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:30 AM

you have to realize that this tractor wasn't built to be a power horse like the bigger models. There was a 20" mower unit, and a snowblower built for them also. Don't take much traction to run the attachment it used. It never came out with a plow so turn dirt issues never came up. It was just a tiny utility type walk-behind, kind of like  fancy roto-tiller. No hoods for them, and there was a counter weight that bolted on in the front or back depending on what attachment you were using.

#14 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lauber1, the plow that is on it hooks right into it like it belongs there. It is not welded on nor does it have any modifications done to it or the tractor to make it fit. There is a lever that you push forward to release it and you also have to release a spring clip that snaps over a bolt or stud at the front of the tractor. Then it will slide right out. Slide it back in, snap the spring clip over the bolt and pull the lever back and it's back in place.

I can take some pics if you want to show. Maybe this plow fit other units as well for all I know.

There is a tag on it as well with a number on it. The plow is painted the same color as the tractor unit.

Steve

#15 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Lauber1, the plow that is on it hooks right into it like it belongs there. It is not welded on nor does it have any modifications done to it or the tractor to make it fit. There is a lever that you push forward to release it and you also have to release a spring clip that snaps over a bolt or stud at the front of the tractor. Then it will slide right out. Slide it back in, snap the spring clip over the bolt and pull the lever back and it's back in place.

I can take some pics if you want to show. Maybe this plow fit other units as well for all I know.

There is a tag on it as well with a number on it. The plow is painted the same color as the tractor unit.

Steve

Hi Steve,  I think what Jeff is refering to as far as "plow" would be a moldboard plow, aka: bottom or turn plow.  As Jeff stated, DB didn't make one for this unit because of size & power.  This Handiman was just a small utility unit with several usefull attachments.  The attachment on your Handiman looks to be original and would be refered to as a snow / dirt blade.  I have added couple of scans from the 1957 Sears Farm Catalog.
As you can see they offered 12 attachments then and by 1959 DB had added a Brush Saw, Tree Saw and Lawn Roller for the Handiman.
Hope this helps, Dave

scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg

Edited by PaPasTractor, May 04, 2013 - 08:56 AM.

• MH81 and happyfoot have said thanks