• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pgtr OFFLINE  

pgtr
  • Member No: 30223
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I am swapping from a 42C to a 44M deck I picked up used recently for my LX tractor. It can be configured two ways:
1) Discharge with DISCHARGE PANEL and 3 standard blades installed
2) Mulch with BOTH DISCHARGE and MULCH PANELS and 6 mulch blades (2 blades per spindle) installed

The panels are plastic 'baffles' with chutes for rear discharge. It appears the Mulch panel fits on top of the discharge panel and reduces (but doesn't quite eliminate) the sizes of the chutes. Mine came with only the discharge panel (installed).

Q: Does anybody have any experience with these decks and their configurations? I'm primarly insterested in cutting weeds in sand and am interested in the lowest possible dust discharge. I'll be experimenting but thought I'd ask...

Q: Does anybody have a Deere Part # for the Piranha 44M MULCH PANEL? (not to be confused w/ the similar appearing discharge panel)

Q: If switching between the double stacked mulch blades & the standard discharge single blades - you are supposed to installed SPACERS on the spindle. These replace the thickness of the 2nd mulch blade not being installed. Will a couple fender washers work or is there is anything unique about these spacers? And if so again - part # for correct spacers?

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:56 PM

First of all   :welcometogttalk:

Didn't find anything in jdpc but found three pdf files in the net with details for the 44M. Sorry, have some difficulties w/ the net this time...

fb_MaintSheet_GX255_44MdeckLawnTractor.pdf Attached File  fb_MaintSheet_325_44MdeckLawnTractor.pdf   258.19KB   99 downloads

Attached File  fb_MaintSheet_gt235_44MdeckLawnTractor.pdf   241.37KB   82 downloads

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:25 PM

JD shows the mulch plate as BM18238. The only spacer I can find is a 0.193 washer.

You can also remove the baffles and the rear plate and use that deck as a rear discharge deck.

#4 pgtr OFFLINE  

pgtr
  • Member No: 30223
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I looked up the part numbers at jdparts: M120966 Deflector, Rear Discharge (I already have this) M120965 Panel, Mulch I think that other # is for a kit. I've studied some more photos of used decks and many show the mulch panels broken off with only a small bit remaining at the fasteners (mine was actually this way too) - perhaps these are common failure items after time/usage? Didn't find any spacers listed. I would think some fender washers would work fine. Thanks!

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi there and welcome! :wave:

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks