• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think I did a really bad thing and killed my case 444. I was tilling a large garden for a friend on Sunday and was almost done when my Kohler made a loud backfire and lost power. While it was at a low idle I heard an interesting clanking sound from the engine. I was tilling up hill and it was a hot day but it was doing fine until then. I got it started again when I got home but it sounded bad so I shut it down. I just happen to have a 16 horse kohler on an Allis Chalmers 416 that runs quite well but the tractor is in poor shape so I think an engine swap may be at hand if it will fit in the Case without too much trouble. Input from any experts out there would be greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance.IMG_0690.JPG

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:33 PM

"tilling up hill"  how steep was the hill?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:03 PM

If the engine mounts, oil pan and crank size are the same the 16 hp should be an easy conversion. I'd be digging into the K321 to see what happened. It could be something non fatal. 

• Case-Closed said thank you

#4 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:17 PM

The hill was not that steep but when I tried to till running down the hill the tractor was hard to control.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:49 PM

That may not be completely fatal.  Hopefully it isn't.  Even if it is a rod, I had an engine (Tecumseh of course) which blew one and all it needed was a pan gasket, new rod, and an hour or two of my time to be back to life. 

You didn't blow something to shreds since it continued to run.  That means everything except for the problem area is most likely safe, i.e., no gears chewed or governors screwed.

Hopefully you didn't run it too long and hopefully the only damage is maybe a new rod.  That's simple enough.  You could also have a valve issue or something similar, but that's not too likely.

I'd say that you should tear it apart just enough to get a peek inside before you call it a bad job completely.  The value of a tractor for originalists goes down quite a bit when you do an engine swap. 

Ben W.

• Case-Closed said thank you

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:31 PM

I agree with Ben you didn't lock it up tear into it see what went wrong with it. Re powering  with  different tractor family can led to problems that take time to fix. Like shaft to long,no boss to  line up pump bracket ,no taped holes for pump bracket,wrong holes in flywheel for pto .All can be worked through but takes time. 

• superaben and Case-Closed have said thanks

#7 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:48 PM

I finally took a look at my 444 and the only thing can find is a little piston slap but my front pto clutch gave up the ghost and was making a nasty sound.  Another problem I have been having is vaporlock when doing heavy tilling. I removed my old muffler and installed a stack this afternoon. Hopefully this is the end of the heat problems.

IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0794.JPG

Edited by Case-Closed, May 07, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#8 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Where did you find that stack?

#9 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:38 PM

I snared the  stack at my local tractor supply, it's a model AC-1 and it's made for an Allis Chalmers. The exhaust pipe on my 444 is 1" I.D.  I came off the block with the shortest nipple I could get and went to a 45 degree elbow, a short nipple,  a 90 elbow and lastly a 4 inch nipple. The stack fits over the 4" long  nipple and is held on with the smallest exhaust clamp they had at O' Reilly auto . If you choose to put a stack your tractor, dont forget to make a support to help keep things in place. Also a jamb nut should be installed on the nipple that screws into the block to ease in positioning and to keep things tight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 444, kohler k321a