10 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:45 PM

So, I sheared the flywheel key on the Briggs engine on my DB. I'd replaced the points & condenser but failed to properly tighten the recoil mechanism. Simple fix, right?  Off I go to my local small engine shop. Standard answer: No stock, 2 week wait or $9 for overnight.  No way I'm paying $9 plus for 1/2" of aluminum key stock.  

Off I go to Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA, and Fastenal.  Nobody carries it.  So I head off the Parts Source, a Canadian Tire spin off.  The guy says, "We get a dozen people a week in here looking for that stuff.  Closest supplier is 1/2 hour away in Napanee."  I was flabbergasted. If I had a business, and a dozen people asked for a product, and my nearest competitor was 1/2 hour away, I'd have a truckload of it sitting in my warehouse.

Stupid is.

• tinbender7 and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:49 PM

So, I sheared the flywheel key on the Briggs engine on my DB. I'd replaced the points & condenser but failed to properly tighten the recoil mechanism. Simple fix, right?  Off I go to my local small engine shop. Standard answer: No stock, 2 week wait or $9 for overnight.  No way I'm paying $9 plus for 1/2" of aluminum key stock.  

Off I go to Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA, and Fastenal.  Nobody carries it.  So I head off the Parts Source, a Canadian Tire spin off.  The guy says, "We get a dozen people a week in here looking for that stuff.  Closest supplier is 1/2 hour away in Napanee."  I was flabbergasted. If I had a business, and a dozen people asked for a product, and my nearest competitor was 1/2 hour away, I'd have a truckload of it sitting in my warehouse.

Stupid is.

As stupid does!   You would think they'd wanna stock that stuff by now!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Sorry to hear you couldn't find something basic like that. Buy some extra and you'll have backup if it ever happens again. I tend to stash spares for my equipment. It's always a bit of a guessing game to figure out what you need to have on hand. 

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Having been in wholesale,

the problem is usually minimum's that sellers have, either for product or shipping and believe it or not sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. I used to buy a product 100 at a time, about a years supply, next order the "minimum" was 10,000 units, had to stop carry the product due to cost.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I believe I have a piece of that here somewhere.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:25 PM

A couple of months ago I needed a flywheel key for a Tecumseh, the local shop didn't have one so we ordered it and I had it in 2 days and it wasn't priority or any of that.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I just got back from doing what I should have done in the first place, robbed one from a spare engine.  I'll put it on my wish / watch for list.  I'm sure I'll stumble onto some & wonder why it excites me.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:32 PM

have you looked at dealing with banta saw. They are a Stens dealer, and

real good to deal with.

http://www.bantasaw....pdf/default.asp

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Stupid is.

Been there, felt that.  As for the parts man, I've been in parts.  You live on supplying people in a snap.  If a dozen people want it, is that a big enough hammer to convince you to stock it? 

Ben W.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:41 PM

I've made my own steel keys when in a pinch.  Take the appropriate size nail & hammer to the right thickness, then file the round sides down to the right height, then cut it to length.  Takes a bit of patience, but finding parts that aren't stock takes patience too.  I've only made one aluminum key though, and a bit harder to make as aluminum craps up the file teeth.

#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'll check out Banta.  Hopefully the shipping isn't stupid expensive.  At least I won't have to pay a border crossing fee. I'll also check out my local scrapyard.  Maybe I can find some aluminum to file down to size.  If neither of those work out, I have a Plan C. More on that later...