• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm guessing the machine is a lot more damaged than it looks in the pic. Seems there's plenty of blame to go around here though. That machine would have required a permit to haul ...wide load, for sure, possibly over-height ;)...so the DOT should have checked it. The driver definitely should have checked it. The dispatcher should have checked it.  Knowing how these things go, likely the Department of Highways should check their signage as well...overpasses tend to get a lot lower with road work and re-paving.  I know of one here that's almost 2 feet lower than the sign says. It gets hit a couple of times a year.

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think the reason that the machine was not damaged more (from what we can see) is because it was facing the rear of the trailer. If you look closely, you can see the cylinder is even bent!

I think that it was facing backwards, and the cylinder was the first thing tall enough to hit the bridge, when it hit it caused it to bend like that. Then, when the upper part of the stick hit the bridge the pin holding the cylinder to the stick broke, like a shear pin. Also, if the machine was parked facing rearwards like I predict, most of the force would have been projected into the bucket, which was on the trailer; if it was facing the other way then all of the force would have been directed into the house.

This reminds me of a dozer that Bossman Harry was working on last summer. Somebody was hauling a large dozer on a low boy and went under a bridge. To top of the cab hit the bridge; the impact was so strong that it bent the supports back, snapped the chain (it was to small anyway) and when the chain snapped the front of the dozer went up so high that the radiator was all busted up from hitting the underside of the bridge! The insurance company refused to pay anything, since the bridge was clearly marked as under 14' high. (I don't remember the exact height)

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:54 PM

That machine, properly loaded onto a trailer, is less than 8' tall properly loaded. The problem was it was on a trailer much as you see it in the picture.

The proper travel position:

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Beings it was in Iowa, the state may used a lot of salt over the years and the salt weakened the concrete. 

I agree this was the drivers fault, he should have measured the height before he took off.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:38 PM

When these highways were built the Cold War was still going hot and heavy.
Fed specs required that the bridges would clear the largest misslie in our arsenal.
Things just keep getting bigger? there is a windmill tower factory in town and they can only get out of town one way.
Because an I80 overpass is not tall enough to clear the tower sections,
Yes there are plenty of people to blame. But STUFF runs downhill and more than likely the driver will get most of the blame.
I got a news update on the bridge, they estimated 1 week to tear out the damaged section and then will reopen the northbound lanes of I35. Then they will evaluate plans for repair or replacement.