• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:49 AM

How full of oil was it? Way, way, way over full might hydro lock the piston?

As for that rod, it may be a defect, I would replace it if any question there. It'd probably hold, but you've got it this far down.
  • hatedge said thank you

#77 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 07:37 AM

How full of oil was it? Way, way, way over full might hydro lock the piston?

As for that rod, it may be a defect, I would replace it if any question there. It'd probably hold, but you've got it this far down.

Oil wise the engine was at a slightly low level but the oil was very thick and black as tar , it had a very bad smell to it. As for the rod I entirely agree with you. I should be able to run that engine a few years without touching it again so a connecting rod is a must. I will also check the oilseal and shaft bearings. Dont want to have to service it again next summer because I overlooked something.

#78 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well, its been a long time since ive updated here. The MF has been sitting just outside the barn all naked and engine light. I received 7 snowmobiles and also had a big enough car accident. Van and boat are done for but im ok now. Snowmobiles have taken a lot of my time but today ive fixed the MF engine and dropped it back in the GT. The thing started right up and I took it for a ride but the engine died quickly. I realised that the magneto is not charging the battery.

Anyone got some wiring diagram for me?

• MH81 said thank you

#79 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Well the problem might be worst. I charged the battery but nothing works on the tractor now!? It seems either the battery ground is fault or ign switch is dead. I get 0 power anywhere :(

#80 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:45 AM

That tractor doesn't need a battery to run if it has the OEM ignition system. Just be careful not to apply power to the wire that goes up to the CDI. If you replace the switch, be absolutely certain it's a ground to kill, not power to run switch.

When you say no power anywhere, I assume you mean the engine won't turn over. Do you hear the solenoid? You might also check and see if there is a fuse in there somewhere.
  • hatedge said thank you

#81 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:29 AM

My engine is the good ol coil and point type  :D  I didnt see a fuse in there but then again there could/should be one hidden under the battery tray. When I say 0 power I mean no electric pto clutch no selenoid clicking and evidently no starter. Im struggling  to find A darn wiring diagram for this. Since im stuck home for a few days I could rewire the tractor properly since (as it usually is) this tractors wiring has been maintained with a hacksaw and  more than a few yards of electrical tape.

Edited by hatedge, November 11, 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#82 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:17 PM

I took the ign. switch off  and the battery pin was broken off. So off to buy a new switch. I remembered them switch being a bit pricey at my usual small engine shop so I decide to try another a few miles up the road that I had never visited. I bough the switch for 20$ and went home only to realise it would NOT fit the tractor  :wallbanging:  

I shamefully drove to my usual small engine shop with the old sswitch and payed 38$ to get the right one. I tried to save a couple bucks by cheating on my neighbourhood mechanic and ended up paying twice.

Serves me right.

Erik is a mate and hes always willing to help. Heck!  he even came over this summer with a boxfull of snowmobile head gaskets to check agaisnt the engine in the barn just so he wouldnt sell me the wrong one.

OK back to the MF. I started rewiring the thing but snow started falling and temperature dropped noticably in a matter of minutes so Im back inside to warm up a bit before giving it another go.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#83 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Well, I couldnt get the new switch wired correctly. it seems I ve purchased another wrong switch. They both seem to be made for engines with solid state ignition. Now the snow has bee falling a lot and I have a lot of work just to keep the snowmobiles and the AC snow tractor working. I guess the MF will sleep till spring :(

#84 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hoorah! its spring and ists 10C out today so I decided to get back to the MF that has been sleeping under a tarp all winter. I took one of the tabs off the ''new'' ign switch and soldered it in place of the broken one on the old switch. I was a good boy and had drained the tank last fall so i filled it with fresh 94 octane gas.  Now everything is back in running order. It sputtered and spat a bit of black smoke at me as it argued not to start. The valves stayed stuck for a while and it fired outta the carb scaring the heck outta me and the boy more than once. But it now ran a few laps around the yard and even battled the hill a couple o times. Ill post some pics to let you mates see the state of it now and start the restauration thing goin. Im not gonna take the old paint off but ill buff the rough spots before the new coat of paint.

Oh yeah it needs a new fuel pump gasket...anyone knows where to get em?

• MH81, IamSherwood and Gabriel have said thanks

#85 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Is it a Kohler? I'd say one of the site sponsors would have one.

Great news she's running again. Any smoke or anything?
  • hatedge and Gabriel have said thanks

#86 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:23 AM

These folks have that fuel pump gasket. Very good to

deal with. They do have a $15 minimum order, so you'll

get to do a bit of extra shopping.

http://www.bantasaw....p?i=1287&p=1479

• hatedge and Gabriel have said thanks

#87 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Is it a Kohler? I'd say one of the site sponsors would have one.

Great news she's running again. Any smoke or anything?

Sure is  :D  Kohler K series.

I am having a hard time understanding why the valves stick. I did clean them and their seat when I changed the piston. Everytime I rev the engine up high it starts to blow exhaust smoke out of the valve cover and it takes a while at iddle to get back to normal. Besides that, theres the expectable puff of smoke on startup but thats all normal.

#88 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:58 PM

These folks have that fuel pump gasket. Very good to

deal with. They do have a $15 minimum order, so you'll

get to do a bit of extra shopping.

http://www.bantasaw....p?i=1287&p=1479

I will check em out in a minute TY

#89 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Here's where ill start from:

MF 14 .1
Came in spring 2013. I got it off a guy I was delivering a lawn tractor to. I dropped 100$ off the LT in exchange for this 1975 MF14. The thing did turn over and had spark but would not start.

Mf 14 .2
This was a surprise... I had taken the head off the engine and realised the piston didnt move when the engine turned over.  I was expecting a broken connecting rod and found what we have called a muffin top piston.
I cleaned the engine up some and inspected the balance gears. I did choose to keep them in because they did not show any signs of looseness and I just couldnt bring myself to modifying an engine that looked to be in good shape. Sometimes you got to go with your gut feeling. Mine said ''Trust this engine.''
I dropped the engine back in the MF and  drove the GT up the hill to the house parking lot where it just died. Turned out the ign switch had a broken tab. I pushed the GT unde the balcony and covered it for the winter.

MF 14 .3

This is where im standing now. reinstalled the hood that had been off since the engine job gave a lil paint on the engine and over the rust on the grey parts to make it look a lil better until time comes to overhaul the beast. Stickers from Maple Hunter are in, I am looking for a brake pedal. and Am actually thinking of seeint to the mower attachement too before thinking of paint.

Edited by hatedge, April 22, 2014 - 04:41 PM.

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#90 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 02:13 AM

Im wondering about the possibility to make a 3pt. Right now it doesnt have anything in the back so Im wondering how the original ones were made.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf 14