#61 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:14 PM

What's that you say???

You're not going to restore that MF14, so it's really pretty???

CLICK.....Buzzzzzzzzzzz............

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling: :poke:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  

You betcha! I already orderew the connectimg rod :)

Nice to hear, but even better that members are getting the right info and having a good time. It's what the hobby is all about IMHO.

It is my opinion too :)

Edited by hatedge, May 19, 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#62 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 07:22 PM

OK, I was gonna order a rebuild kit on EBAY when I noticed that one seller was asking buyers to send dimensions of piston and connecting rod. That stopped me from rushing into this. Is there a reason this seller asks for those mesurements? are not all the K321 engine the same? Or is it in case the engine has been oversized?

#63 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:22 AM

OK, I was gonna order a rebuild kit on EBAY when I noticed that one seller was asking buyers to send dimensions of piston and connecting rod. That stopped me from rushing into this. Is there a reason this seller asks for those mesurements? are not all the K321 engine the same? Or is it in case the engine has been oversized?

Yes, he's trying to avoid return issues, just in case the engine has been bored out in the past.

But if you measure your bore, and confirm it hasn't been bored out, and you have no plans

to do so, you could go ahead and order the correct rebuild kit. That'd save some time, as I

find it usually takes about 2 weeks to get something across the border by mail.

• hatedge said thank you

#64 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yes, he's trying to avoid return issues, just in case the engine has been bored out in the past.

But if you measure your bore, and confirm it hasn't been bored out, and you have no plans

to do so, you could go ahead and order the correct rebuild kit. That'd save some time, as I

find it usually takes about 2 weeks to get something across the border by mail.

Well, I dont know what the original bore size is.. how will I know if its oversized?

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:35 PM

If the piston is oversize, a good cleaning will reveal the oversize on the top of the piston, such as .010, .020, or .030"  If the crank has been turned down, then the crankshaft itself should be stamped on one of the crank throws next to the rod journal.  That would be as .010 stamp.

• hatedge said thank you

#66 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:43 AM

If the piston is oversize, a good cleaning will reveal the oversize on the top of the piston, such as .010, .020, or .030"  If the crank has been turned down, then the crankshaft itself should be stamped on one of the crank throws next to the rod journal.  That would be as .010 stamp.

you mean it would be stamped on the top of piston and somewhere on crank?...Come to think of it the oversized piston tops are stamped on snowmobiles too. But ive never noticed a stamp on the crank before. I learn something everyday here!

Now if crank is stamped then it would mean the connecting rod would also be different?

Edited by hatedge, June 04, 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#67 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 04:08 PM

you mean it would be stamped on the top of piston and somewhere on crank?...Come to think of it the oversized piston tops are stamped on snowmobiles too. But ive never noticed a stamp on the crank before. I learn something everyday here!

Now if crank is stamped then it would mean the connecting rod would also be different?

Yes, you would need an undersized rod.
  • hatedge said thank you

#68 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Yes, you would need an undersized rod.

OK I will keep that in mind when ordering the parts. First I gotta open up the engine and see if its worth repairing or not. So much to in so little time lol.

#69 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:17 PM

So, The mower on my wheel horse gave up on me today. This was the nudge I needed to get my lazy arse going and see to get the MF14 running. First I need the engine out....easier said than done I see! How does one dummy like me get the tranny drive shaft off the engine?

#70 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Take  the screen cover off the rear of the engine.  You wiil see 4 bolts holding the shaft to the flywheel.  Be careful to NOT break the fan blade!!!!  It is made of unobtainium.

• IamSherwood and hatedge have said thanks

#71 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Take  the screen cover off the rear of the engine.  You wiil see 4 bolts holding the shaft to the flywheel.  Be careful to NOT break the fan blade!!!!  It is made of unobtainium.

Unobtainium? sounds rare and expensive  :smilewink: 

Now Thats a sh***y job and a half to be stuck doing. To take the engine fan cover off I will need to take out the steering/control tower off and since theres all the brakes and hydraulics in there I also will have to dismantle all o that? Cos as far as I can see I dont have acces to the fan shroud with the engine on. I tried to get the driveshaft off the tranny but its rusted solid and the tranny plastic fan is in the way of a good hammerin'.

Im off for a job interview but ill be back at it this afternoon

Edited by hatedge, August 21, 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#72 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Im no expert but I think I know one of the reasons the MF 14 refuses to start  :smilewink:

K321s mf 14 (2).JPG

lucky enough the rest looks to be in good shape. I will push the inspection a little further to be sure, but I think I might get away with a new piston & rings set. I see them on E-bay for about 50$ CA wich would be decent but im not the patient type o guy and ill make a few calls tomorow and see if I cant find a good deal in one of the shops in the area. heres what it looks like:

K321s mf 14 (4).JPG K321s mf 14 (5).JPG K321s mf 14 (6).JPG K321s mf 14 (11).JPG

This being my first GT/MF piston job I would like for ye mates to throw me a few tips and heads up before I gets started and while im doing this. :thumbs: I do have a few snowmobiles under my belt but its different type of engines.

#73 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Upon seing my pics I think there might be another thing that need replacement:

K321s mf 14 (5).JPG

#74 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:17 PM

never seen a piston do that before.

How'd you do that?

• hatedge said thank you

#75 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:49 PM

never seen a piston do that before.

How'd you do that?

I wouldnt know. I found this one behind a barn when delivering a LT this spring. I gave the guy a 100$ off the price for the LT in exchange for this one. I really didnt expect to find this bad a piston in it. I cannot wrap me head around how a piston blows its top off either. Guess there must have been some crankcase detonation or something. There is evidence of blow-by on the skirts.

Maybe one of our friends can answer that one?

Edited by hatedge, August 21, 2013 - 10:49 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf 14