90 replies to this topic

#46 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:52 AM

I dont think I like JD all that much. quite complicated to get any info for them GTs. Wiring is also complicated with all kinds of gizmos and what i beleive to be breakers.

#47 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:28 PM

RIP  :(  :(  :( 

I finally got to getting the head off to clean the valves I tought were sticking., only to figure out that its the piston connecting rod that is broken. I guess that engine is completely dead because if the piston rod broke then the crank must be damaged and Im not willing to get into that kind of investment on a tractor that only has a mower and would only mow grass for me. Ive already a wheelhorse that mows and takes care of snow.

Last ditch effort: can anyone convince me that its a cheap and easy thing to fix?

• MH81 said thank you

#48 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:54 PM

Last ditch effort: can anyone convince me that its a cheap and easy thing to fix?

Many times it really is!  Much of the time the crank journal is fine, but just has aluminum transfer stuck to it.  Brushing on muriatic acid, likely several brushings will eat the aluminum off the journal, not touching the steel.  Once the aluminum is off, you can check the journal for damage or out of round.  If within specs, just shine her up with very fine emery cloth.  New rod, piston if needed, and a new set of rings & you may be off & running.  You can't know until you get inside it.

• MH81 and hatedge have said thanks

#49 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:41 PM

You can get a total rebuild kit on ebay, for about $120.

Well worth the effort, provided, as Dan says, the crank is good.

• hatedge said thank you

#50 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Many times it really is! Much of the time the crank journal is fine, but just has aluminum transfer stuck to it. Brushing on muriatic acid, likely several brushings will eat the aluminum off the journal, not touching the steel. Once the aluminum is off, you can check the journal for damage or out of round. If within specs, just shine her up with very fine emery cloth. New rod, piston if needed, and a new set of rings & you may be off & running. You can't know until you get inside it.

You can get a total rebuild kit on ebay, for about $120.
Well worth the effort, provided, as Dan says, the crank is good.

Well thanks guys your lightening my load here. I was really bummed out. I had high hopes for this one, provided I find attachements. I look on ebay and find nothing :(

Edited by hatedge, May 19, 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#51 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Check as described above, also check for any drastic out of round on the bore.

Oh, and look at the skirts on the cyl sleeve, make sure what's left of the rod didnt contact and damage there

Other than that, many survive the damage well.
  • hatedge said thank you

#52 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 12:18 AM

[quote name="olcowhand" post="320457" timestamp="1368917689"]

Many times it really is! Much of the time the crank journal is fine, but just has aluminum transfer stuck to it. Brushing on muriatic acid, likely several brushings will eat the aluminum off the journal, not touching the steel. Once the aluminum is off, you can check the journal for damage or out of round. If within specs, just shine her up with very fine emery cloth. New rod, piston if needed, and a new set of rings & you may be off & running. You can't know until you get inside it.[/quote]

[quote name="IamSherwood" post="320462" timestamp="1368920507"]

I wanted to keep the MF 14 for meself as me summer tractor. Now I might take a few days to see if its saveable before sending it off. As for the rebuild kits on e bay I havent sen em yet but ill looke for em.

Thanks again

PS: In the past few months Ive become a member of a few tractor forums and I never get as much help and friends as ive here this is the best spot. Where cant I get some stickers and baseball cap to show my support?

Edited by hatedge, May 19, 2013 - 12:19 AM.

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#53 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:03 AM

Kohler rebuild kit.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item589fb485c1

Edited by IamSherwood, May 19, 2013 - 01:06 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:31 AM

PS: In the past few months Ive become a member of a few tractor forums and I never get as much help and friends as ive here this is the best spot. Where cant I get some stickers and baseball cap to show my support?

You could become a Site Supporter also. Check out the Store.

• IamSherwood and hatedge have said thanks

#55 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:33 PM

You could become a Site Supporter also. Check out the Store.

will do right now mate. It was a rethorical question but you nailed me and ill pay up   :D

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#56 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hatedge, we work very hard keeping GTT the way you described it.  Thanks for the good words, and thanks for being a member.  We appreciate ALL members, regardless if they are site supporters or not.  :thumbs:

• KennyP and hatedge have said thanks

#57 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hatedge, we work very hard keeping GTT the way you described it.  Thanks for the good words, and thanks for being a member.  We appreciate ALL members, regardless if they are site supporters or not.  :thumbs:

well as of now ill be contributing every once in a while ;)

Ive ordered a Tee for now.

Now listen I dont just say that cos im happy about this here one thing... Ive been a member with a million questions and problems over the last year and from day 1 you mates have been here to help and encourage me through tough ones. I get answers to my problems in a matter of afew hours or a day!!! You, Ol Cow, have congradulated me on me babes birth and have answered EVERYSINGLE of me posts. I have tried very hard to find a forum in Canada and even tried a few in the US, and it really is the only one where I havent had the feeling that people stopped caring when they realise you dont just throw money at your beast till it works. I have the feeling the other forums ive been on are intended for people whom care to show museum grade machines and nothing else?

Long live GT Talk and count on me to be around and to be a thankfull and active member

PS please add stickers to the available store choices. Im a sticker all over the toolchest kinda guy

Edited by hatedge, May 19, 2013 - 06:56 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Glad you have had good success getting answers here! Thanks for the feedback!

• hatedge said thank you

#59 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:40 PM

well as of now ill be contributing every once in a while ;)

Ive ordered a Tee for now.

Now listen I dont just say that cos im happy about this here one thing... Ive been a member with a million questions and problems over the last year and from day 1 you mates have been here to help and encourage me through tough ones. I get answers to my problems in a matter of afew hours or a day!!! You, Ol Cow, have congradulated me on me babes birth and have answered EVERYSINGLE of me posts. I have tried very hard to find a forum in Canada and even tried a few in the US, and it really is the only one where I havent had the feeling that people stopped caring when they realise you dont just throw money at your beast till it works. I have the feeling the other forums ive been on are intended for people whom care to show museum grade machines and nothing else?

Long live GT Talk and count on me to be around and to be a thankfull and active member

PS please add stickers to the available store choices. Im a sticker all over the toolchest kinda guy

What's that you say???

You're not going to restore that MF14, so it's really pretty???

CLICK.....Buzzzzzzzzzzz............

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling: :poke:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  

• hatedge said thank you

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Nice to hear, but even better that members are getting the right info and having a good time. It's what the hobby is all about IMHO.
  • hatedge said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf 14