#31 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:36 PM

What about compression releases?? Thought you need to turn by hand and go Backwards so not too operate the release?  Heck, pull plug and crank with battery and see if it is blowing out the hole. OR, turn by hand and feel it it is. Then use gauge and go backwards by hand. Just pull head, it's easy and see if valves stuck open. Tap down and lube stems some if so, keep turning till they don't stick. New headgasket and back on  and try it then IF the valves were the issue.

• hatedge said thank you

#32 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I had the same problem on my MF16, no compression, exhaust valve was stuck open, once it was freed up I got compression.

• hatedge said thank you

#33 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 10:46 PM

I pulled the carb off and I could see one valve and it moved when I cranked the engine. As for the other valve(exhaust?) I dont have a clue where it might be. Anyway if valves need cleaning ill have to open the head to buff the seats and valves with compound no? It would give me a chance to control the cyl' piston and rings. That way ill take care of any compression problem there may be. Im a lil aprehensive as this is my first 4 stroke engine job, never had to open em before but ive a few 2 strokes under my belt and that should help me avoid a few mistakes...Ihope

#34 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Cam Timing is simple if you have a good manual.Balance gears are a pain in the butt if you don't have the alignment tool to hold them while you slip the crank in.

• hatedge said thank you

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Unlike many 2 cycles, the piston will not be accessible unless you take the engine out and split the block.
  • hatedge said thank you

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Cam Timing is simple if you have a good manual.Balance gears are a pain in the butt if you don't have the alignment tool to hold them while you slip the crank in.

Never a problem for me...I take them out promptly whenever I'm into them.  Not enough benefits for the problems they cause,...busted blocks!  On the MF14 where the engine bolts solid, taking the balance gears out is hardly noticeable if at all.

• hatedge said thank you

#37 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Never a problem for me...I take them out promptly whenever I'm into them.  Not enough benefits for the problems they cause,...busted blocks!  On the MF14 where the engine bolts solid, taking the balance gears out is hardly noticeable if at all.

Do you seriously mean for me to avoid re-installing the balance gears and that I wont even notice a difference?

#38 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Unlike many 2 cycles, the piston will not be accessible unless you take the engine out and split the block.

Yes I have discovered that the mf 12 had that problem and this morning I learned from the JD part shop that nearly all of the 4 strokes in tractors are also that way. Makes it A pain to do things that are quite simple like ring jobs or honning :(

• MH81 said thank you

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Do you seriously mean for me to avoid re-installing the balance gears and that I wont even notice a difference?

Seriously...only a slight difference at a slow idle.  John Deere doesn't even use them at all in most of their models of the same vintage.  Many of us drop the gears out.  I've seen too many blocks destroyed when either the clip let a balance gear go, or the needle bearings failed that they ride on.  Catastrophic damage results!  I've seen the entire side of the block blown out by them.  At 30+ years old, the gears, their bearings, and the pins they ride on are usually worn.  To me, it's just not worth the risk.

• MH81 and hatedge have said thanks

#40 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Seriously...only a slight difference at a slow idle.  John Deere doesn't even use them at all in most of their models of the same vintage.  Many of us drop the gears out.  I've seen too many blocks destroyed when either the clip let a balance gear go, or the needle bearings failed that they ride on.  Catastrophic damage results!  I've seen the entire side of the block blown out by them.  At 30+ years old, the gears, their bearings, and the pins they ride on are usually worn.  To me, it's just not worth the risk.

Well, soon ill be opening the head of the MF 14 to see if my  0 compression is valve related or ring related.f I see the need to open the block then Ill have you walk me  through it and follow your tip

#41 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:10 PM

What about compression releases?? Thought you need to turn by hand and go Backwards so not too operate the release?  Heck, pull plug and crank with battery and see if it is blowing out the hole. OR, turn by hand and feel it it is. Then use gauge and go backwards by hand. Just pull head, it's easy and see if valves stuck open. Tap down and lube stems some if so, keep turning till they don't stick. New headgasket and back on  and try it then IF the valves were the issue.

Got the gasket today. Ill get to it as soon as Im done with the JD 112. it ran for 10 mnutes today then backfired and died :( had to pour fuel in the sparkplug hole to get it started again and it died after a couple minutes. I pulled the carb off and gave it a qick clean-up. T here was lotsa jelly in there. darn ethanol fuels, People just dont want to understand that its crap and should never be used in small engines. Thanks to that ethanol crap though I get fair prices on good machines that people think are dead

#42 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Zero compression isn't going to be rings for sure.  The worst worn rings will still give "some" compression.  Either it's valve related, or a hole in the piston (which is unlikely).  The only other thing would be a tossed rod & the piston not even moving.

• hatedge said thank you

#43 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm betting, on stuck exhaust valve.

Seen that a few times on the 14/16hp Kohlers.

• hatedge said thank you

#44 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:16 PM

You might be able to see the top of the exhaust valve if you remove the spark plug.

• hatedge said thank you

#45 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Zero compression isn't going to be rings for sure.  The worst worn rings will still give "some" compression.  Either it's valve related, or a hole in the piston (which is unlikely).  The only other thing would be a tossed rod & the piston not even moving.

I'm betting, on stuck exhaust valve.

Seen that a few times on the 14/16hp Kohlers.

You might be able to see the top of the exhaust valve if you remove the spark plug.

You guys must be right. I have never seen 0 compression before and ive had rings completely torn off. But again its my first 4 stroke small engine job. I cant wait to get the top off that cylinder and see what is up. I should be getting to it soon because my JD id pretty close to done. Ive some wiring of the pto clutch and lift system  to figure out and then its rattle can paint job. The Massey is really calling to me because the grass is getting pretty long and Ive ordered a new set of decals for it. I would love to get it running and panted before decals arrive, lotsa seat time comming for me in a near future with the MF mower and the JD tiller :D

Edited by hatedge, May 15, 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf 14