IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:11 AM

Nice find there. Those are good machines. For a coil, just get one from auto supply store.

Get one with built in resistor.

• hatedge said thank you

#17 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Nice find there. Those are good machines. For a coil, just get one from auto supply store.

Get one with built in resistor.

Thats all? I walk in the autopart and ask for a coil with resistor? No other info needed? Those things are all standard?

#18 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 252 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Here are a couple of part #'s to help you out, NAPA IC14 or AC Delco C573. On my 14 I rebuilt last year I found out the coil was bad on it, I put on a Accel 8140  coil that was sittiing in parts box. 

• hatedge said thank you

#19 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,542 Thanks
  • 2,474 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:58 PM

1st thing I would do is Clean and regap the points to .020.

If still no spark replace the Condensor.

If still no spark Check to see if there is 12V getting to the Coil.Check for a bad wire if Wiring is good Replace the Key switch.

If still no spark Replace the Coil.

Check all of the Commonly faulty and cheap $4-$15 small parts before you go get another $30-$40 Resistor Coil.

• IamSherwood and hatedge have said thanks

#20 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:52 AM

If still no spark Check to see if there is 12V getting to the Coil.Check for a bad wire if Wiring is good Replace the Key switch.

Check all of the Commonly faulty and cheap $4-$15 small parts before you go get another $30-$40 Resistor Coil.

Sounds like a smart procedure to follow. Thank you. I will be doing just that.

#21 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:41 PM

spent the whole day trying to get some sparks outta the mf 14. I cannot put my finger on the problem. I would like to find the owner manual to learn the proper starting procedure. My not knowing the procedure might be the problem because both coil and condenser have tested good on another tractor today. The engine turns but no sparks :(

#22 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,689 Thanks
  • 5,337 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Did you try putting a jumper wire from 12volts+ to the coil?

Amp-meter on my MF16 is open circuit and causes no battery voltage to the coil.

• hatedge said thank you

#23 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Did you try putting a jumper wire from 12volts+ to the coil?

Amp-meter on my MF16 is open circuit and causes no battery voltage to the coil.

Do you mean to put a jumper between the battery + and the + side of coil? I havent tried this yet, it would show me if I have a short on the wiring harness or a bad stator right?

Is there a way to test the stator? I tried hooking a multimeter to the wires that come out of engine and cranking the engine and I got very low readings.

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:42 AM

The operators manual is in the manuals section.

I can't recal now if there where any safety switches on the 14. (seat, hydro lever)

The PTO switch must be in off position.

• hatedge said thank you

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Do you mean to put a jumper between the battery + and the + side of coil? I havent tried this yet, it would show me if I have a short on the wiring harness or a bad stator right?

It would let you know if you have a wiring problem, like a bad switch, safety switch, broken connection, etc. Shorts normally announce themselves with smoke in my past experience.

I don't think this would be a viable test for the stator. Unless it's electronic spark, the stator is just for charging (from what I understand)

Is there a way to test the stator? I tried hooking a multimeter to the wires that come out of engine and cranking the engine and I got very low readings.

I assume DC and AC volts were your test points, not ohms. If so, yes. The readings will be erratic and low until you get the engine up to speed.
  • hatedge said thank you

#26 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 05:12 PM

It would let you know if you have a wiring problem, like a bad switch, safety switch, broken connection, etc. Shorts normally announce themselves with smoke in my past experience.

I don't think this would be a viable test for the stator. Unless it's electronic spark, the stator is just for charging (from what I understand)

I assume DC and AC volts were your test points, not ohms. If so, yes. The readings will be erratic and low until you get the engine up to speed.

I actually have the same problem on my JD112 and today I did a test for dc off the stator wires with the same result. And for the no spark problem ive gone and hooked the coil directly to the battery and the engine fired up! :) So im more and more convinced that the ignition switch is the problem. I have a indiak 5 prong on there and theres no ing prong on it. So, nowhere to hook the coil wire to  the switch. Tomorow is sunday and ill wait for monday to get another switch. That would probably cure the no spark problem. But one question remains: where will I hook the lights on a 3 prong switch and shouldnt the electric lift be hooked to the switch?

As for the MF 14 I will also be running the same tests and jumper wire test on it. Ill be back with the news

• MH81 said thank you

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Once it's running, then check the stator.  I think you should be checking for AC on two of the wires also.

#28 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Once it's running, then check the stator. I think you should be checking for AC on two of the wires also.

OK heres the rundown. I beleive the switch on the JD is responsible for the no spark problem as for the MF 14 I did get spark today but the engine refuses to start, even when I poured a few drops o gas in the sparkplug hole. After trying to crank the engine back to life for 30 minutes I was striken with a litle bit o smarts and put the compression gauge on there. 0 is the reading I get!!! I have NEVER seen a 0 reading before!??! tomorow ill try my compression gauge on a diferent engine to make sure its not broken and then back on the MF 14. If reading is still 0 ill tear into that engine right away to see whats up with rings and cylinder. Hope its only a ring problem because oversizeing costs 200$ + around here and thats not counting new piston and ring and gaskets and............

Coils and condensers are fine, points are pitted but I regapped them anyway and got spark. Now I tried to get pressure reading off the cyl. and it reads 0 :( tomorow ill make sure the gauge is good and test again if its still 0; cover me I'm going in :shoot3:
  • MH81 said thank you

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,517 Thanks
  • 30,072 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Likely a valve stuck or crud under a valve holding it open.

• hatedge said thank you

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Before you tear in, you might want to see if the valves are moving. (Cover plate)

On engines that give me a compression issue, I often will blow a little air in the spark plug hole and see where the leak seems to be, the carb, the exhaust, the breather... Each will tell you something.
  • hatedge said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf 14