• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Now that I have a couple good saws, I don't need the other ones, so I listed them on craigslist. A guy came by earlier today to look at one of the two craftsmans I have. I built a little 8x8 "attic" in my garage and that is where I had the saws. I went up on a ladder and handed one down to him. While I was getting the other one down he tried to drop start the saw and hit himself square in the leg with the bar.

Anyway, he did not buy either of them, but it got me thinking. Maybe I should not sell the saws at all? I have said it before, and will say it again... chainsaws are not for everybody! I would rather put them in the garbage then sell them to somebody, then hear they killed themselves with the saw I sold them the day before.

Any advice?

• hamman said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Natural selection, Ryan. Get used to it.

Natural_Selection_It_Does_Work.jpg

• Ryan313, WNYTractorTinkerer and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Try to start my Craftsman that way and it will flip around and smack you in the mouth or something.  Just can't be done.  I do as the directions say that are on the saw.  "Put your foot in the hand hold while pulling the rope." (Not exact words, but close)

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ryan, if you are really worried about it, give them to someone needy.  If they work, give them to someone much less fortunate that will really appreciate them.

I'll be ridiculed by some, but I have said it before.  Money is not everything.  Donate them to a church or some place where they can be used and appreciated.

You will feel good if they go to a good cause and are used properly.

There are plenty of people in the world less intelligent about chainsaws and things.  They will hurt themselves.  Cat is right, so was Darwin.

• Ryan313 and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Natural selection, Ryan. Get used to it.

What he said.
  • Ryan313 and Team_Green have said thanks

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ryan, if you are really worried about it, give them to someone needy.  If they work, give them to someone much less fortunate that will really appreciate them.

I'll be ridiculed by some, but I have said it before.  Money is not everything.  Donate them to a church or some place where they can be used and appreciated.

There are plenty of people in the world less intelligent about chainsaws and things.  They will hurt themselves.  Cat is right, so was Darwin.

Or if ya do sell em.. make em sign a bill of sale with as is where is with no warrenties or insurances..

Personally if i worried about who bought what i was selling i would have a lot of stuff i dont use any more.. 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:46 PM

I would keep them around. Maybe some day somebody you know might need a saw. They don't take up much space and they aren't goingto lose value just sitting on a shelf.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#8 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sell them, If something happens then it does. Your not the goverment, people are, well should be responsible for themselves.
If you do keep them they'll be antiques some day and worth the big bucks. I just bought a Titan and a McCulloch worm drive yesterday $25 for the pair
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:06 AM

You won't be ridiculed by me, I call that "Planting A Seed."  I am not saying you will recieve a bunch of chainsaws back, but I am saying you will someday get a bunch of something.

• Ryan313 and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:45 AM

u can just send them to me. lol. i need some good saws

• Ryan313 said thank you

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Be careful about letting people see what you have, best to have items that you list out and ready for buyer to see.

In this case if you were ready, you could've shown him the proper way to start it.

I agree with others, if they have the $$ who I'm I to say "your to stupid to own it"

• Ryan313, PaPasTractor, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#12 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Be careful about letting people see what you have, best to have items that you list out and ready for buyer to see.

In this case if you were ready, you could've shown him the proper way to start it.

I agree with others, if they have the $$ who I'm I to say "your to stupid to own it"

Ryan,  Craigslist...a great tool for selling, just be carefull.

This happened in my area last week.  A guy restores old classics and posted a car he had done valued at around $20,000.  He had it listed for awhile and had several people come look but no buyers.  The other day he went to one of his outbuildings were the car was stored and it was gone.
The police think it was possible that one of the potential buyers is the theif.  They might never be caught and the guy may never see that car again.

Always meet the buyer at a neutral place if possible, if not have the item out front and ready to be seen.  To many shady people around nowadays  that just love to follow you around with wondering eyes setting you up for their next haul. 

daytme dave also has a great point.  Maybe someone you know could use a saw and can't afford one.  By letting that person now own a saw, you will feel great for giving and also have the chance to show them the proper handling / care.  Plus, they will probably take good care of a gift and you will always know that you helped.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#13 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Power tool selling proceedure:  YOU plug it in/fuel it up, YOU start it up, YOU demonstrate it, YOU shut it down.  HE pays you for it with signed receipts for both, HE takes it away and fools with it when he gets it home!  No annoying EMT calls or messy floor cleanups.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:25 AM

I would rather put them in the garbage then sell them to somebody, then hear they killed themselves with the saw I sold them the day before.

Any advice?

Take a tip from the big dealers, add ten percent to the selling price to cover your liability insurance.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 08:41 AM

I normally do my best to have everything out and ready when they show up; although, the guy was supposed to be at my house at 3:30, but when I got home from school at 3 he was already there.

Thanks for all of the advice!