• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • Member No: 32842
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:32 PM

LOL. Tore down my B&S on my Toro leaf blower last fall and I can't seem to remember where the little wire goes, that apparently allows the motor to shut down when you throttle down.  It's just hanging in the air, and, no, I cannot shut it down unless I pull the plug wire.

Any ideas?

Also, when I pull on the shaft for the blower, I get a bunch of end play.  I put new crank bearings in last fall.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:45 PM

The wire goes to the kill switch usually found on the shrould or handle. Does the flywheel move back and forth with the endplay? I'm not sure how the blower fastens on.

#3 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:10 AM

The wire isn't very long-goes from what appears to be the start point behind the flywheel shroud and ends around the carb, will look for a kill switch. Any idea what that looks like? 

The only thing I checked was the shaft sticking out the front-dont remember back and forth as much as I remember in and out play was a lot.

#4 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Touch the wire to the block to Kill the engine.

#5 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well yeah, is that the normal way of shutting down?

#6 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well, indirectly yes but the wire should be attacked to a momentary switch (button) that grounds to the block. Do you have any photos so we can see what the blower looks like. Or at lease give us a model number.

#7 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Found the solution. Somehow I had that wire sticking up out of the recoil shroud.  Thought about it for a min and then remembered that when you put the throttle to low, it shuts off (before)...so, has to be related to that...looked where the throttle cable connects below the carb, and found a clip , pushed it and could see a little hole.  Put the wire in the hole and then let the clip go-anchoring the wire. Started up, then using the throttle, it now shuts off. BINGO.

ALso, this blower would never start well-always had to splash gas in the carb-then fine...adjusted the big screw on the carb, and now it starts right up.  Just had to focus on it-if it needed gas, it was lean...2 fixes in one day, and no cost? what's no to like.

• skunkhome said thank you