Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Guy With A 1050 And In A Weird Spot.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:33 PM

First off welcome!  I have a couple of those pieces laying around. I'll go out to the shed later and see what I can find.

Very nice 1050 by the way.

#17 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Nvm found it seems the part numbers i need are

1714868- guide rod

1716774- spring

1714871- tube

#18 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:52 PM

First off welcome!  I have a couple of those pieces laying around. I'll go out to the shed later and see what I can find.

Very nice 1050 by the way.

Thank you very much for the kind words if you do happen to have one just send me an IM with your price.

#19 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi there and welcome! :wave:

#20 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well more bad news for the new owner the person. The guy I bought the tractor from said the deck was un tested by him. It seems someone ran the deck without gear oil in the drive box so it looks like ill be looking for one I just filled it with oil for the time being and plan on runing it till it dies.

Edited by JohnWR, April 30, 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#21 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Keep you eyes open for a snowcaster gear box as well as a deck gear box. You might just need to swap out the gears as long as the bushings are ok in the housing.

#22 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well more bad news for the new owner the person. The guy I bought the tractor from said the deck was un tested by him. It seems someone ran the deck without gear oil in the drive box so it looks like ill be looking for one I just filled it with oil for the time being and plan on runing it till it dies.

Well, does the gearbox still spin okay and does it drive the blades?  I had this same problem with the gearbox on my Estate Keeper.  Someone ran it without gear oil for a long time and it looks like he even put sand and rocks in there in place of oil, lol.  (You can see my damage here:  http://gardentractor...ation/?p=302057)  Good luck finding another gearbox if you do indeed need one.  Yours shouldn't be nearly as hard to find as the gearbox for an Estate Keeper deck (they are unique).  Hopefully your gearbox isn't leaking or anything and you can get away with just filling it back up with gear oil.  I'd also look and see if you are missing your breather for the gearbox as maybe it is leaking the oil out there as it is running. 

Does your 1050 have the 42" deck on it, I'm assuming?  It is just the hangers on it look similar to my 38" deck and most of the tube frame 42" decks I have seen seem to have different deck hangers on it.  Just curious.  If this would help you at all with yours, here are pics of the deck hangers on my 850 with a 38" mower deck:

That rod with the spring on it allows the deck to "float".  This deck doesn't "float" very well because it has those runners on it.  Yours will probably float better if it has wheels.

BolensDeckAdj_05.jpg      BolensDeckAdj_10.jpg

These are the rear deck hangers that go on the back of the deck and attach to the rear axle housing:

BolensDeckAdj_11.jpg      BolensDeckAdj_13.jpg

Here is a picture of my gearbox to show you where the vent is.  I think mine is missing the cover for it as well since mine will leak out gear oil as the deck is running as well.  I've been trying to find a vent for mine for a while as well.  It is spring-loaded so it only vents as it needs to instead of all the time so oil can leak out and water can leak in, like it does on mine right now...

MowerDeckGearbox_01.jpg

Hope that helps some!  Oh, and welcome again to the forums!

Edited by MailmAn, May 01, 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#23 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks so much for the reply yes the drive unit still spins and drives the blades just makes a screaming noise. My deck has the runners and no wheels and I have the proper floating rod on the way here. My unit has the vent nipple looking thing so I will keep an eye on the oil level as I mow.

#24 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 06:33 PM

well thanks to Nato77 i now have a lift rod and got to mow still dialing the deck and getting it level.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0005.JPG
  • DSC_0006.JPG

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#25 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:12 PM

That looks good on there. I'm just glad to help someone out.

So how's the deck gear box holding up? Hopefully you can find one before it shells out completely. The deck been painted or is it original? Sure looks nice.

I would so love to be cutting grass :(   70s all next week so maybe by the weekend.

• Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:04 AM

Another good story of members helping members! Way to go, Nate!

John, glad you can mow with it now! Good looking tractor!

• Nato77 said thank you

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:30 AM

If the box still functions at all, it might last a long time if you take it down & put in new bearings.  If gears are still in decent shape, new bearings would make it last years yet.  Running with a squeal just means you're taking it closer to sure death.