6 replies to this topic

#1 dma OFFLINE  

dma
  • Member No: 34523
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:49 AM

hello all,

i just bought a gravely cheap at an auction, and according to the serial number(j-63996) its a 1970, 7.6 model. it has a place up front for a battery and a plate beside the fly wheel for a starter, i assume. what i need help with is what all parts will i need to turn it electric start? im not a moron, so i know i can handle doing the conversion, but i am a rookie who is smart enough to know when he needs advice.

ive put up pics of all sides as close as i could still giving perspective, if more will help please tell me and ill put them on. thank you in advance for any advice your able to give, i appreciate it.

one more question, the flywheel will turn both directions easily....what direction should it go to start counter clockwise or clockwise.106.JPG 107.JPG 108.JPG 110.JPG 111.JPG 112.JPG

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Welcome to GTtalk dma.  I'm not familiar with the conversion you are wanting to do but someone will be along shortly that can help you.  I hope you enjoy our community of Tractor nut's.

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hi there and welcome! :wave: Very nice gravely you got there. Unfortunately im not familiar with these but give it some time and someone will be along shortly. All of our mechanics work during the day but come during the evening youll be overwhelmed with responses! so hang tight and check back often. :thumbs:  

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to the forum! Some of the Gravely folks should be along here in a bit! Good luck with it! And thanks for the pics!

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Nice buy.  I don't have much time right this minute, but your first problem is the starter clutch.  It should spin easily counter clockwise, but engage when you try to turn clockwise.  If it spins freely in both directions you have some trouble there.  There are little egg-shaped cams that rock back and forth to lock the gear to the shaft.  Often, a prior owner will add grease and when that dries up it will cause problems.  There should be a stud on the hub of the gear, but it may have been replaced with a grease fitting.  Either way, remove it and try spraying WD-40 or something in there to try and loosen things up.  If that helps, it may be that you just need to clean and re-lube the cams.  Otherwise, those cams will need to be replaced and that is expensive.

Other than that, you need a starter motor, a pinion gear, a chain, a starter relay or switch of some sort, and replacement cables.  If the previous owner 'shot himself in the foot' by greasing the clutch, you may have a machine that is in better shape than you would think for it's age.

• superaben and dma have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Nice buy.  I don't have much time right this minute, but your first problem is the starter clutch. 

Exactly what he said.  Try joining the Gravely club on Yahoo groups.  Some of us are on there.  There's bound to be someone with a replacement starter for you.  It's a big Delco model just like some cars use.

Ben W.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 02:58 PM

MY MANNERS!! :brain_fart: 

WELCOME TO GTTALK dma!!

:welcome:  :welcometogttalk: