#1 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 02:00 PM

I just bought a JD 212 with 12hp Kohler and it runs rough and has a lot of vibration at all speeds. Is this normal or is there something in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Harry

#2 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 10:21 PM

These Kohler motors do shake a lot. That is why it has rubber motor mounts in it. If you look at them from the bottom of the tractor, they are probably cracked. I just replaced the motor mounts in a 214 a few weeks ago. It calmed it way down but it still vibrates. You do not have to pull the engine to do it. If you need some you can get them a lot cheaper than Deere sells them for.
  • harrycu said thank you

#3 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 09:56 AM

These Kohler motors do shake a lot. That is why it has rubber motor mounts in it. If you look at them from the bottom of the tractor, they are probably cracked. I just replaced the motor mounts in a 214 a few weeks ago. It calmed it way down but it still vibrates. You do not have to pull the engine to do it. If you need some you can get them a lot cheaper than Deere sells them for.

Yeah, thanks, Jeff. I had already decided that was the problem, but never hurts to ask the experts, right?

Where in Louisville do you live? I have a buddy that I was in the Army with who lives down on the south side just of King's Highway.

Harry

#4 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 11:31 AM

I was not sure where Kings Hwy was so I looked it up. I live on the other side of Louisville in the southwest part of the county the area is known as P.R.P. (Pleasure Ridge Park)

I purchased my motor mounts off of EBay. They were less than 1/2 the price of the Deere mounts, and were an exact replacement. I cut off the old rivets with a chisel, They come off pretty easy. I installed the new mounts with screws and lock nuts. A couple were find of hard to get started, but it can be done.

#5 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:36 PM

I was not sure where Kings Hwy was so I looked it up. I live on the other side of Louisville in the southwest part of the county the area is known as P.R.P. (Pleasure Ridge Park)

I purchased my motor mounts off of EBay. They were less than 1/2 the price of the Deere mounts, and were an exact replacement. I cut off the old rivets with a chisel, They come off pretty easy. I installed the new mounts with screws and lock nuts. A couple were find of hard to get started, but it can be done.

Kings Highway runs out of Louisville down toward Fort Knox to the south. He lives down that way.

Thanks for the tip on Ebay. I'll take a look.

Harry

#6 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:47 PM

US 31W runs from Louisville to FT Knox. Its known as Dixie Highway around here, if we are talking about the same road. I only live about 2 miles from 31W. I can be to Ft Knox in about 20 minutes.

#7 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 08:40 AM

US 31W runs from Louisville to FT Knox. Its known as Dixie Highway around here, if we are talking about the same road. I only live about 2 miles from 31W. I can be to Ft Knox in about 20 minutes.

I'm sorry, I got my names mixed up...it is Dixie Highway. He lives in a little subdivision just off Dixie Highway on Gandy.

Harry

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:57 PM

The Kohlers do seem to shake a little but once in the rpms they seem to smooth out pretty good. Sounds like you guys already got it under control though :thumbs:
  • harrycu said thank you

#9 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 02:03 PM

That was it, Jeff. I replaced all four isolators as JD calls them and the rear cradle was broken and welded to the frame. Had to cut it off and replace it also. All that took about 90% of the vibration out of it. I can actually hear the engine running now.

I got my motor mounts from McMaster-Carr for like $8 apiece. I got the new cradle of Fleabay for something like $15.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Harry