#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Looking at the 990's lights today. PO had some tape, rubber and extra tin under the front trim on outer side of grill. I went out and looked at my other one and removed the outer tin, and that is ALL that was there. The grill is indented and glass lights would sit there and the outer trim tin has bent in edge to  hold it on outside. NO rubber or insulator  at all. Manual doesn't show much, just mentions that outer trim. SO, is that it?  No vibration protection for the glass bulbs then?  I tried to use Power King rubbers. they fit in the casting of grill OK, but too far out in front then and trim would have to be about 3/4" away from grill and bolted in stages to do that I guess, and didn't seem right. What you guy's been doing with lights?

One other item. IN the wiring is a breaker. Mine are always disconnected when I get them. SO, zat mean don't need them, or should fella put a fuse block there or should I get a breaker to put back. No size listed anywhere in manual. Thinking of just using fuse or something else there. What have you guy's done?

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:24 PM

My old 1400 lights have no rubber.The front Tin holds them firmly in place.If your getting Any movement in the headlights then the front tin needs a little work.

Both of my headlights are original by the looks of them (Or a set of very old replacement bulbs) and they both work.They're both GE bulbs.

I've been thinking of getting 2 of those cheap LED Spot lights on Ebay.I can't find the 4" bulbs but this is what I'm talking about.http://www.ebay.com/...092ffc3&vxp=mtr

They would be great for GTs with Stator based charging systems.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 28, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• John@Reliable said thank you

#3 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 04:48 PM

The breaker is a good thing to have. It does protect the wiring. 20 amp is sufficient and it does trip if a safety switch wire comes off and touches ground. A fuse would be a pain to deal with.

The light cover is all that holds the bulbs in place.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've been thinking of getting 2 of those cheap LED Spot lights on Ebay.I can't find the 4" bulbs but this is what I'm talking about.http://www.ebay.com/...092ffc3&vxp=mtr

They would be great for GTs with Stator based charging systems.

Don't forget to report back how they work if you get them, price is very good, but I wonder how bright they really are. :thumbs: 

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well, lights in grill and wired. Doing wiring on whole tractor,mostly using old harness and cleaning up or replacing ends. Took all the wrap off them to see exactly where they go and will have some corrugated tubing on them when done. Gotta get some Batt cables now and make one more long wire to front regulator and should be good to try a start. Good spark on engine, hope it runs better than last fall now!  Have to work on fixing plastic dash in few places, have no idea how to start that. Plastic welding tip on solder gun?  then right glue with plastic that is same or close to glue behind a couple of cracks??  We'll see! Thinking of trying to cut a tin for Behind the dash, similar to front one for a back-up. All of my 990's seem broken where throttle control mounts and moves at.

#6 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've had good results with moldable 2 part epoxy with this type of repair. Can be drilled, sanded and painted. http://www.loctitepr...lti-Purpose.htm  or 

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B001HW88X6

I have good luck with 2 part epoxy adhesives to put pieces of plastics back together and to adhere backer pieces to build on and reinforce.