9 replies to this topic

#1 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I picked up a new to me 87 John Deere 318 the other day and have come to find that the trans / pump needs a little attention.

The first issue that I wanted to discuss is how much hydro whine is normal?  I've found several forums discussing that the hydro whine is normal and others saying that it is not.  I'm planning on rebuilding the hydro pump and trans soon but want to make sure I have the right parts available before hand.  From what some were discussing it seems like I might need a charge valve shim kit or an entire new valve assembly. Mind you the hydro whine is not under a heavy load ... usually on takeoff until it is up to speed and when turning the wheels no matter how much.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  

Following up on the rebuild - does anyone have a list of cross reference seals for the hydro pump and seals in the trans?  I've rebuilt a couple Wheel Horse trans and a Hydro Cub Trans similar to the 318 and was able to find seal sizes online and cross reference P/N's but I've not come across anything for the 318.  Could someone post a list of sizes or Chicago Rawhide seal numbers?  The prices that John Deere has for their oil seals seem really high - more so than Cub Cadet and I thought those were high ...

Lastly can anyone tell me what model differential this tractor has?  From my research it appears to have a Tecumseh unit but when I flipped through WFM Files - I didnt see one that looks similar to the one in the 318.  Also if anyone could also confirm the hydro pump model that would be great too!

Thanks JRK

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I think that should have the Sundstrand model 15U.  Any squealing while simply turning the steering has nothing to do with the hydrostatic side of things, as that is done by the charge pump.  Sounds more like pressure relief valve issues.

• jrk said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Tractordata.com shows it having a series 90 hydro, but that is simply NOT correct.  I looked through all the model 90 diagrams, and it is NOT used in any John deere GT.  I think it uses the 15U just like in the 430.

• jrk said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:05 PM

To see if there are crosses for the seals, download & look through this chart if you have OE part #'s.   Seal Cross Reference Chart

• jrk said thank you

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Most of the seals from Deere are parker. I rebuilt a wheel motor the other day. The kit was 100$ our cost. I messed up the last seal. I ordered the replacement from parker...since it was in parker packaging and , well had parkers numbers.

I'll look tomorrow... There is a slight chance we will have those seals In stock. If so I'll grab the numbers off of them.
Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2
  • jrk said thank you

#6 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:47 PM

To see if there are crosses for the seals, download & look through this chart if you have OE part #'s.   Seal Cross Reference Chart

Thanks for jogging my memory on this Daniel.  I've used the SKF (Chicago Rawhide) interchange app online as well (just forgot about it - doh!) which can be found here:

http://www2.chicago-...okup_457012.htm

And I thought that the pump was a Model 15 ... I just wasn't sure.  From the info I've gathered online this was virtually the same pump that was built for Cub Cadet.

Just trying to pick everyones brain on this issue so I can address the whine while replacing the seals and gaskets in the rearend and pump. Would it be a correct assumption that the whine is either caused by one of the three key areas 1) charge relief valve 2) implement relief valve 3) hydro check valves (bypass)  ....  and if those are the issues are they mostly associated with worn out springs that allow the fluid to bypass before the intended factory set pressure?

I know when I rebuilt my Cub hydro I actually turned the crimp of the check valves on the lathe, cleaned them and replaced them with a new spring that was slightly stiffer ...

Anyone have any additional info on what model the differential is?

Thanks Again - JRK

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for jogging my memory on this Daniel.  I've used the SKF (Chicago Rawhide) interchange app online as well (just forgot about it - doh!) which can be found here:

http://www2.chicago-...okup_457012.htm

And I thought that the pump was a Model 15 ... I just wasn't sure.  From the info I've gathered online this was virtually the same pump that was built for Cub Cadet.

Just trying to pick everyones brain on this issue so I can address the whine while replacing the seals and gaskets in the rearend and pump. Would it be a correct assumption that the whine is either caused by one of the three key areas 1) charge relief valve 2) implement relief valve 3) hydro check valves (bypass)  ....  and if those are the issues are they mostly associated with worn out springs that allow the fluid to bypass before the intended factory set pressure?

I know when I rebuilt my Cub hydro I actually turned the crimp of the check valves on the lathe, cleaned them and replaced them with a new spring that was slightly stiffer ...

Anyone have any additional info on what model the differential is?

Thanks Again - JRK

Yes, virtually the same unit, just different ends on the input shaft & output gears.  I repaired my JD F935's model 15U from parts off a Cub Cadet unit, so I know for a fact they are pretty much identical.

#8 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Any thoughts on how worn out springs in any of valves would influence whine?

#9 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:44 PM

my 318 whined all the time also and it never gave me any trouble . does it sound like this 

Edited by Gary400, April 29, 2013 - 06:49 PM.

• olcowhand and jrk have said thanks

#10 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yes the whining sounds similar except its not under load when I'm hearing these noises. the one that bothers me most is during takeoff (no load) and just turning ... perhaps I can take a video this week and throw it on YouTube for a better prognosis.

Still entertaining more thoughts on the issue.