• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I bought some new fluorescent tubes to replace the burned out ones in the shop today. The new tubes have "nibs" on the ends of the electrical contact parts. The tubes won't fit in the fixture with the "nibs" there. Are these something new? Is it OK to file them off? Will I have to buy new fixtures? The numbers on the new tubes and the old ones match.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130428_183748.jpg

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:57 PM

I didn't run into that problem when getting new tubes for our shop. My only problem was that the places that sold the lower priced tubes, didn't have our style. The previous owner had chosen a style of light that required a more expensive replacement. It's only money and you can't take it with you. I just want to have enough to get to the end. I sure hope one of our more experienced members can give you an informed response to your question. Good Luck.

• larryd said thank you

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:12 PM

There are at least 3 different type tube ends and different sizes.
If you file them off, a good chance of the gas escaping. Never did it, but they would be useless if it does.

EDIT: after actually looking closer at the pic, it looks like just a slight bit more sticks out. The sockets on most fixtures do usually have a little movement to them. Unless they are real old and built very well.

I've had trouble over the years getting tubes to fit into fixtures, but always found a way to get them in.

Edited by NJKen, April 28, 2013 - 07:19 PM.

• grand, philips100 and larryd have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just the wrong bulbs for your fixtures.  Take them back & swap for the correct ones.  Used to have this "nub" style in my milk parlor, but I've switched to the "high output" style now.  First type we had were the kind with small double posts on each end.  

• grand and larryd have said thanks

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

He has the correct ones, there is no other single pin style. All others are two pin/contact type. They don't even make new single pin fixtures as far as I know.
Or at least I haven't installed any in many years.
  • larryd said thank you

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:37 PM

He has the correct ones, there is no other single pin style. All others are two pin/contact type. They don't even make new single pin fixtures as far as I know.

OH...I looked closer & saw the little "tit" if you will off the end of the nub.  Never seen that before....defect Ken??

#7 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:42 PM

OH...I looked closer & saw the little "tit" if you will off the end of the nub. Never seen that before....defect Ken??

I've never noticed them like that. Could be a defect, or just different manufactures. I have a few single pin sizes in the garage. I'm going out shortly and check them. It's got me scratching my head. And I can't afford to lose more hair. Lol
  • olcowhand said thank you

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yep, just different manufactures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367196507.227994.jpg

Philips like the ones he bought. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367196543.696921.jpg

GE's round end no nub
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367196585.528166.jpg

Sylvania's no nub also.

You should be able to use the ones you bought. Make sure the spring end socket is retracting all the way. I've sprayed them with a spray lube if they don't. Just make sure the power is off first.
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:17 PM

With the "tit" on the end, the tube is longer than my other tubes. I did take Ken's suggestion and bent the end of the fixture out a bit and was able to get the tubes to fit. The lights won't come on so I am assuming the ballast is bad. I will try replacing the ballast tomorrow if I have time.

I thought the tubes were strange with the little "tits" on the end.

Thank you all for your thoughts.