• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christian IH OFFLINE  

Christian IH

• Member No: 1108
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and/or format. Im pretty new at this forum stuff. Anyway I have a cub cadet 782 with the series 1 kt17(garbage) and its about shot. I have access to a briggs 18 horse model 42a707 2238 e1. Does anyone know if this will work with my 782? Im trying not to buy a brand new engine. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and/or format. Im pretty new at this forum stuff. Anyway I have a cub cadet 782 with the series 1 kt17(garbage) and its about shot. I have access to a briggs 18 horse model 42a707 2238 e1. Does anyone know if this will work with my 782? Im trying not to buy a brand new engine. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Christian.  All my CCs are older, so I can't answer your question directly. However, there is a forum on Repowering where owner's have done amazing things using diesel engines, etc. so I suspect it's possible... just not sure how easy it will be.

Utah Smitty

• Christian IH said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi there Christian and welcome! :wave:

#4 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hey Christian welcome to GTtalk. Is the 18 Briggs an opposed twin? No reason why it won't fit. As far as bolt in and go I doubt it. There will be quite a little fab work on your end. Drive shaft, motor mount spacers, wiring will be your biggest hurdles. I morphed a 18hp Kohler Command in my 682 and installed full hydraulics as well. Basically a 782 now. Very pleased with the outcome. My engine came out of a 2000 series cub and I modified the 2000 series wiring harness to fit the 682. Keep us posted on the outcome as I picked up an opposed 18 twin B&S for my next project.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Your biggest problem will be the driveshaft coupler.An Oppossed twin Briggs does use the same motor mount spacing.You might even get lucky with the Driveshaft coupler.Just depends on what flywheel is on the Briggs.

You Will have to mod the Wiring The KT-17 is a Points ignition engine and requires power to the coil to run.If you do not eliminate the coil power wire and you hook it up to the Briggs magneto,it will burn out the magneto the instant that you turn the key on.

Just cut the wire for the KT17 Coil off and wire the Magneto kill wire from the Briggs Mag to a toggle switch and ground the other end.The rest of the wiring should be fine.

Stater wires for the charging system should be red and black on both engines unless the briggs has the dual 3 amp staters under the flywheel.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 30, 2013 - 07:25 AM.