15 replies to this topic

#1 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Dad and I went to pick up a White 1050 in  up state Pa. ,that I bought off of ebay.

I was pleased to see it was as good as it was represented. All complete and very original tractor.

It's going to need the dash repaired but mechanical wise it couldn't be any better.DSC03509.JPG DSC03511.JPG DSC03512.JPG DSC03513.JPG DSC03514.JPG

• RAJ, sacsr and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Nice! Complete with muffler shield.
  • HALFSCALE said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Those are neat!  I saw that one for sale earlier.  This one is a standard trans then isn't it?  I bought a 2055 recently off there with hydro, just about like my 990 MTD's.  They are neat. Can't tell, yours say "Yard Boss" on hood. Always thought that was neat to match "Field Boss" on big tractors.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Very Nice tractor.I wonder why people take the Clutch/pto shield off of these and don't put them back on?Does yours have a plastic Gas tank?

Wish my 1400 had the 2 pedal set up.It would make for easier adjustments of the brake and clutch.I'm using mine with out any brakes ATM till I take the fenders off and do some fine tuning.

I love my 1400 for mowing,it does better than alot of the newer mowers and it sips the gas.I mowed 2 times with it so far and it used under 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Our dashes look to be broken at the exact same places.The top mounting holes on both sides and the top corners.If my dash gets any worse I'm going to see about fabricating one up out of metal.I still think I can mod an older Sears dash so that it will fit.The dimensions are very very close.

This is the style that I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item460e9e9962

#5 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:52 PM

That is a neat little White you got there! The 3-point hitch is super cool too.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Boy, That White is in very nice shape. I wish I could find one like that some day.

Way to GO !! :thumbs:

#7 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Those are neat!  I saw that one for sale earlier.  This one is a standard trans then isn't it?  I bought a 2055 recently off there with hydro, just about like my 990 MTD's.  They are neat. Can't tell, yours say "Yard Boss" on hood. Always thought that was neat to match "Field Boss" on big tractors.

The 2055 came after MTD bought what was left of White outdoor, it's basically the same as the GT1655 and GT1855 that showed up in the 79 catalogs, I think your 2055 has a steel grille like the Mtd version.

I agree , I always liked the looks of grilles , though not as popular they do look like the big tractor more than the Jacobsen built Molines, Whites or Olivers.

I'm going to fix the dash for sure, and I think I'm going to restore it since it's so nice, I have all the decals done in original form reproduction.

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 11:47 PM

Dad and I went to pick up a White 1050 in  up state Pa. ,that I bought off of ebay.

I was pleased to see it was as good as it was represented. All complete and very original tractor.

It's going to need the dash repaired but mechanical wise it couldn't be any better.attachicon.gifDSC03509.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03511.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03512.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03513.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03514.JPG

A very nice White!!  Practically identical to my GT1650--grill and paint is the same.  Rear tires are different--mine are the 15 inch with 4 bolt wheels... yours look to be the 12 inch with 5 bolt wheels.

Smitty

#9 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:35 AM

A very nice White!!  Practically identical to my GT1650--grill and paint is the same.  Rear tires are different--mine are the 15 inch with 4 bolt wheels... yours look to be the 12 inch with 5 bolt wheels.

Smitty

The GT1050 and GT1600 are gear drive versus the GT1650 which is hydrostatic, I have a couple of each and like them all.

Smitty, you can see my GT1650 on a thread further down the page, called "White tractor photos"

Edited by HALFSCALE, May 20, 2013 - 08:38 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:45 AM

The GT1050 and GT1600 are gear drive versus the GT1650 which is hydrostatic, I have a couple of each and like them all.

Smitty, you can see my GT1650 on a thread further down the page, called "White tractor photos"

Do you have a FEL on any of your Whites?  I did some research on the Internet last night, and saw that they were available for them.  I was reading a brochure from White... it also required a spindle kit upgrade.  Just what is involved in upgrading the spindles??

US

#11 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Never had a loader, and I've never ran across one for a MTD, I would love to see what spindle kit has in it, Dad and I have upgraded the front ends with thrust bearings between the spindle and axle to make them steer easier, but it's not going to make them any stronger. Have a two friends that were MTD dealers, I'll have to ask if they know anything about it.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:47 AM

I read in another site that you can use 1 1/8" Wheel Horse hubs to convert to 5 bolt pattern like most GTs use, then get a 14 or 16 inch wheel and tire. Has anyone tried this??

Smitty

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Just what is involved in upgrading the spindles??

I've never seen or even heard of anyone who had seen the spindle upgrade, but I think I read somewhere that it involved going to 1" spindles.  How exactly they accomplished that, I don't know.  The other forum has a few loader build threads and several of them have homemade upgrades to their spindles.  I believe most of them involve drilling out and bushing the axle ends to 1" then fabricating new spindles.  There were also some who fabricated a whole new front axle so they could play with camber and ride height.

I read in another site that you can use 1 1/8" Wheel Horse hubs to convert to 5 bolt pattern like most GTs use, then get a 14 or 16 inch wheel and tire. Has anyone tried this??

Smitty

I don't know about a 14" or 16" wheel but I've read some threads where they used the more commonly available 12" GT wheels.  I've never had the need to do it but it's supposed to be a straight forward bolt-on.  It's not just Wheel Horse, though.  Several brands used the same transaxle and 5 bolt hubs, most commonly, Fords.  I think the Jake and later Gilson built Fords all had the same setup.

Edited by Canawler, May 21, 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#14 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:19 AM

The only tall wheel ,wheel horse I know of had 15 inch narrow wheels like the bolens. but I'm no wheel horse fan so don't hold me to it.

I wouldn't recommend doing it, taller tires will speed up your ground speed and we know how hard it is to get 15inch tires in what you want.

This past weekend I took the clutch out of my new 1050 and replaced the guide pins, it worked ok ,but they were worn and it bugged me. I hooked the 12in brinly 3pt plow up and had no problem plowing the garden with turf tires and no weights .

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:10 PM

The only tall wheel ,wheel horse I know of had 15 inch narrow wheels like the bolens. but I'm no wheel horse fan so don't hold me to it.

I wouldn't recommend doing it, taller tires will speed up your ground speed and we know how hard it is to get 15inch tires in what you want.

This past weekend I took the clutch out of my new 1050 and replaced the guide pins, it worked ok ,but they were worn and it bugged me. I hooked the 12in brinly 3pt plow up and had no problem plowing the garden with turf tires and no weights .

The OEM tire on my White 1650 is a 9.50 x 15.  The tire is 27" in diameter.  Turf tires in this size are over $200 each.  I can buy a couple 235-65 x 15" snow tires for the price of one turf tire.  If I change to a different rim size, or go with an 15" automotive tire as long as the overall tire diameter is the same, it will work out fine ground speed wize. My reason for going to a 14" or 16" wheel is because ag type tires are more readily available in those sizes.

Regards,

Smitty