#1 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 11:25 AM

First question is, I have downloaded the parts manual for the g12, but it shows ser. up to 0199999, my plate showes mod. 1255 ser. 0200445. is there anything diferant that you know of? next is the wiring/slash charging thing i'm concerned with now. I'm not a layman, but my moter/generator knowledge is rustier than a cast iron pot used for tomato sauce. If you seen my intro you know she's a hybid, the m/g on it is a delco remy 1101689 oh27. I'm not sure witch one that belongs to the voltege reg. has 3 connections on the side so I'm thinking it's more g12ish. Anyhow, what I'm wandering is, I know it's a low energy system, but what kind of readings should I expect before and after the V.R. to figure out if it's right or who's the #1 suspect if my battery dies in the middle of the night during a lake effect snow storm:confuse:
I also put this same question under groups, but that area seems a little neglected. Thanks in advance.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 11:39 AM

Let me check into this....I'll get back with you in a bit....

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 11:42 AM

You said there is a wisconsin TRA-10D in there right?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 12:17 PM

Just looked at your introductions thread and seen you have the TRA-10D.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to wire the tractor as if it were a 1050.Here is the link to the Service manual which includes wiring diagrams: CLICK HERE

If the generator is functioning properly it should read between 13.50-14.00 volts if its 15 or over its overcharging. if Below 13 volts it's not charging properly

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 12:29 PM

The regulator should Have a F,BAT,L terminal along with another terminal mounted under the regulator.
sorry, but this is the best pic I havePosted Image

#6 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, I can only see three teminals on the side, guess I'll pull it out tonight after work. Yea I wasn't sure if I should get the full 13-14 V like a car on this system or not, so that confirms it, I'm not charging at all. Well gotta go to work now though :(

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 02:22 PM

What reading are you getting

#8 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 11:44 PM

Ok, home from work now, glad it's friday :)
I was using my crap meter, and was basicly getting 12.4 or so battery nominal, but it was fluxuating enough from running and off combined with my hopefull wishes to trick me into thinking 1 or 2 tenths of a volt ment charge. lol (I'm not an idiot but I play one at home sometimes) :wallbanging: so I went straight out to the shed and pulled the regulator, btw it's cold out tonight. And I found the elusive 4th connection.
tra_0001.jpg
So in the morning, when it's warmer and I'm running on coffee instead of beer, I'll go reevaluate the wiring and get the 4th connected.
Again, I sure appeciate the help, experiance always makes things go better :beerchug:

#9 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 12:26 AM

Ok, I was looking at the manual you linked to. the engine is in fact a tra-10d, and I assumed it was from a 1050, but it is magneto fired not coil. I guess I should also add that the 4th conn. you can see in the pic is jumped straight to one of the mounting feet ie. frame ground, and to the conn. withe the black wire that goes to the m/g. I also havn't found any markings on the m/g or the reg. as to witch terminal is what, but assuming once again that since it does the starter role like a champ that at least one wire is hooked up to the right place. I will look further in the meantime as to what what this engine came from.
P.O. had it for a long time but was worthless for info, and I didn't push since it was free.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 07:15 AM

To my knowledge the TRA- 10D's all came equipped for coil ignition. Is it possible someone swapped out the shroud from A TR-10D? Thats what I think we have going on here.
Check in the service manual again and see if your wiring matches the 1050 with the magneto ignition......

#11 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 11:55 AM

Yea, that's the thing when workin' on something like this. All of the "what the heck did that guy do here?" moments. I recon the only thing I can be sure of is that the wisconsin manual I d/l has matching pictures and the points and condenser worked, so mebe it's a tr not the tra version under the shroud. Anyhow, I decided to open up the regulator and found one of my problems.
tra_0001_1.jpg From left to right labels are bat, gen, F
and the wire going from bat to the top of the heavy wound coil is melted into. So I'll go fix that now.

#12 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:15 PM

Well, I got set up to fix that regulator and I remembered the box of "stuff" that came with it. So went up to the loft and found another one :) opened it up and everything was intact, hell it was so clean it looked like just came off the shelf! It was not the same regulator big differance inside, and in my exitement forgot the pic. but it had the con. on the back that went to the heavy windings and the side con's. were marked L, Bat, F. So I put it in and wired it to the early 1050 magneto/wisconsin mag spec. (the two were identical).....and pure joy!!!!!!
So now that's good to go, now I can work on the other imortant stuff, like getting the hood painted so the wife stays in love with it too. lol

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Great to hear you were able to fix it :thumbs:

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 09:14 PM

So now that's good to go,

I'm glad that you got it figured out!

now I can work on the other imortant stuff, like getting the hood painted so the wife stays in love with it too. lol

We ALL know how important it is to have the wife love them too LOL!