• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Mowed for the first time today and used the PowerFlow bagger for compost starter and near choked to death on dust!  Parts of the lawn look stressed already from lack of water.  I usually cut around 3.5"-4" all season to keep as much moisture in the topsoil as possible.  Reseeding and patching will be out if it doesn't rain now.  I have a low yield well and really don't water with it after getting patches started.  2 mowers and no grass isn't going to be pretty!   

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hope you get some moisture, HH! We've been getting light rains pretty often, so the weeds are springing right on up there.

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Same here HH, it's been a pretty dry spring. I stopped mowing with my little lady bug mower with the high lift blade and bagger and just use the one with the mulching blade. We are expecting rain the next few days, hopefully it will head your way. I'd hate to see you not be able to use your new machine.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Wish we could share some rain with you HH. We had big thunderstorm last night. Rained off and on all day saturday. Weeds are growing fast.

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:57 AM

What color are the weeds, so are you sure that is weeds, not a new kind of grass---could be.

Dick

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have plenty of rain here. Come down and get some.

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I thought N. Wisc. just got a big storm. Didn't it go your way?

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:13 AM

Same here HH, it's been a pretty dry spring. I stopped mowing with my little lady bug mower with the high lift blade and bagger and just use the one with the mulching blade. We are expecting rain the next few days, hopefully it will head your way. I'd hate to see you not be able to use your new machine.

I just checked the weather forcast, there's a "...chance of heavy overcast next Friday followed by possible thunderstorms the following Monday..."  BUT, on the good side, I'm using the heck out of the new machine, I just don't have the mower deck on it.  I've been TLB'ing some and struttin' it around the neighborhood.:D

I've got 4 yards of compost mix topsoil coming next Friday so that will ensure I will need to water with the well when I do any lawn patching.  Wifey really hates having to wait until after dark to do laundry and bathe in the creek (she really freaks out when she sees the headlights coming), but the lawn does come first and I don't mind turning my underwear inside out every so often...!

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Today's rain carried in the Scott's and now I can hear the grass growing out there!  Moisture also heated up the new compost pile with more green clippings coming as soon as it dries out.  I don't mind "Climatic Global Warming Change" as long as it keeps raining once in a while.