• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the advice.  I will start checking her out on the next nice evening I have off.  We are going to be putting up shelving in the basement for the next few days and getting all that stuff orgnaized and sorted.  Hopefully my manual will be here shortly and I can start really checking it out good.

Earl, welcome to GTTalk!

Where in VA are you?  I'm in the Shenandoah Valley.

Ben W.

I live in Alleghany County above Roanoke.  We have some family up near Harrisonburg.

• superaben said thank you

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I live in Alleghany County above Roanoke.  We have some family up near Harrisonburg.

You're not too far from me.  The reason I ask is that if you need some help on your tractor, I would be glad to look at it and give my opinion on it. 

Ben W.

• Earl said thank you

#18 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:30 PM

You're not too far from me.  The reason I ask is that if you need some help on your tractor, I would be glad to look at it and give my opinion on it. 

Ben W.

10-4, may very well need it when I get into it a little more.  I've built engines and worked on carbreutors most of my life, but I've never done much with small engines.

• superaben said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hey Earl, :welcome: to GTTalk.

I am going to see what I can find for manuals.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:40 PM

10-4, may very well need it when I get into it a little more.  I've built engines and worked on carbreutors most of my life, but I've never done much with small engines.

The small engines are half as big, so they must be half as hard to work on... :D

This is close to yours... Might just be year difference. http://www.managemyl...NM/L0904339.pdf

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,501 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Welcome.

I have an older LT4000 that has that same steering issue, it will actually lock tire into frame turn left, but right, you need the whole yard practically. I've never figurd out what the problem is other than maybe steering gears have jumped a few teeth due to wear.

• trackcar said thank you

#22 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:33 AM

I received my manual yesterday in the mail. It says the transaxle is NOT serviceable. I do not understand the point of an external screw-on filter if it is "factory sealed".

As for the steering, I'm sure the problem is in the front axle bushing and drag link @$$-hattery. If you look at the steering gear, even if it jumped a tooth it wouldn't affect how far the front tires would turn side to side. It would just off-center your wheel. I thought the same thing until I had it up and got a good look at it.

The parts are not that expensive, but it may not matter after this evening anyways.
  • trackcar said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Oh, poppycock. That manual is for the std moron who was buying the "big, fancy lawnmower..." And has color coordinated tools.

I think the refil and purge is on the site here somewhere.
  • Earl said thank you

#24 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Oh, poppycock. That manual is for the std moron who was buying the "big, fancy lawnmower..." And has color coordinated tools.

I think the refil and purge is on the site here somewhere.

That's good to know!  Do I need to search by transaxle model number to find it or is there another piece of information I need to know?

EDIT:  It is a slow night working start up on a boiler so I've been searching.  Found this thread about it which lead me to this thread on another forum that has the info in it.  My transaxle looks exactly like that except I think my fan is missing from the idler pulley which has me a little worried now.  Oh well...

Edited by Earl, April 30, 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:08 PM

I hope you don't think I was being brisk with you earlier. I was venting about the "non serviceable" line in the manual.

Here is a link to the change and purge info... Hydro Gear says to change it annually.

http://gardentractor...rge-directions/

I will do a little looking on the fan.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Ok, yes... You do want that fan. It (in combination with clean cooling fins) keeps the tranny from burning up.

According to Sears, it is still available and only $8
Worth it IMHO.
  • Earl said thank you

#27 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well, got the wiring straightened out for the on-board trickle charger yesterday evening.  It is (I guess) an original SEARS accessory.  Also worked on the headlight wiring, but I think I got something wrong.  Neither will burn but I have 12V and a good ground at the tractor end plug.  No contenuity through the headlight harness though.  Could be two bad bulbs, but I'm not convinced yet.  

I'm hoping to do some more work to it this weekend.  Try to do a little looking on the carb issue and make some adjustments per the manual.  I need a valve cover bolt for it, one is missing I noticed.  Probably could use a valve adjustment too if I can find the info for that.  I'm more used to the hydraulic lifters in vehicle engines, set it and forget it kinda thing.  

• MH81 said thank you

#28 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Julie got 3/4 of the yard mowed yesterday with Stanley and she slipped the belt off the deck with a stick. I had to pull a 16 yesterday so I didn't get to fixing it till this morning.

Got the belt back on and mowed some of the yard with it. Figured what the heck, went and got the Craftsman out and finished up with it. Just as I finished the last strip, it ran out of gas. So I fueled her up and restarted it. Started surging right off and hasn't quit since.

Also pulled the aircleaner off and and took a picture of the governor mechanism. Any thoughts? Maybe describe for me what is what and it's function?

2013-05-03104130_zpsae560e54.jpg

It also looks like someone has had the top plate off the carb, any thoughts on what is in there that may affect low rpm operation and cause a surge?

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:25 AM

If I were a betting man, you have water in the Carb.

Careful removal of the linkages, one hose and the ground wire on top and it's in on the bench.  (I removed the zig zag from the carb, and the other two I left with the carb and disconnected from tractor... easier for my fingers to do that way)

The dirt for me was in the auto shutoff, the water in the bowl, and I am MUCH happier with it since I took the 1/2 hour to do the cleanout.

#30 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Well, I don't have to worry about her anymore. Fellow showed up today and bought her. I'm now looking at getting a new Husquvarna GT54LS. I got a really good price on one, now I've just got to force myself to take the money out of savings for it.