#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Out by garage today, tractors and junk all over. Was getting my little 250 Kawi out and gonna put up a for sale sign. Fella stops and wants to buy some tires I had setting in the trailer for swap meet. Asks about bike, looks, leaves after buying tires. Comes back 1hr later hands me money for Bike and rids it off!   Man! Wish all my stuff sold that easy!  AND, he's gonna bring back his Bro in law to look at tractors and parts on trailer. He's a Wheelhorse guy and I have lots of that on there. Maybe that trailer load won't even make it to the swap??  Now if I could just sell a couple MM big tractors, think I would be real happy for awhile!

• hamman, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:20 PM

GL, in your opinion, did the downturn in the economy hurt the larger tractor collector market more than the gt market? Seems like it around here.

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:53 PM

GL, in your opinion, did the downturn in the economy hurt the larger tractor collector market more than the gt market? Seems like it around here.

I believe that is very true!

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Not so much that,but convenience or taking models to shows and able to do many per trailer, easier to find most parts and same satisfaction of the rebuild when done but smaller made it easier to do the GT's. AND, one can actually do things with the GT like mowing and earth moving, snow, etc. much easier than on a big tractor. Storage too, big takes more storage. All my big MM's have no 3pt hitches so much harder to work them for real unless you have the vintage pull attachments made just for them. Those are the things that got tossed to junk or worn out and are NOT so easy to find still around. Costs of big tires is times more than the value of the tractor now days, but that is hurting the little ones too I guess. AND, sometimes I find I'm just getting Tired of having Junk stuff and never a really nice unit around that would be useful for me.   :(  :sleep_sign: Think I'm getting Depressed again!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:31 AM

Just curious, but you guys have swap meets and such, do you have what we call yard or garage sales? We just make a sign and stick it up on a corner with a few balloon attached, and people come like bees to flowers. Can sell most anything from GT.s to old dishes and clothing, just anything you want to get rid of. No liscences needed, no tax to pay, no permission needed from the town, and the sales go on from the first nice day in spring 'til late in the fall. The best part is you don't have to load the heavy stuff like G.T.s or tires up and haul them anywhere, the people come to you.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:48 AM

100%, Cat.  I've been sitting on two John Deere two cylinder tractors for about a couple months now.  Deere (as always) has about the best brand recognition and collector value for common models, they usually sell like a snap.  The pair is probably the last two antiques for me for awhile for resale, I'll stick with small machines.  I like stuff with small engines because I can repair it, restore it, and resell it for a price that seems fair to me and you.  With an antique tractor, you have to sell the stupid thing for a couple thousand just to make a few hundred on it.

During those couple months I've had the Deeres, garden tractors and engines have sold like mad.  Go figure.

I think the collector tractor market is slowing down a bit after everybody jumped in and drove up the prices while the economy was healthier.  $2000 for a tractor you really can't use unless you spend another $200 for special implements if you can find them wasn't hard.  After all, you were sure you could resell it and get yourself out of jail if you had to.  Now, that's a significant investment that will take awhile to go.

Everybody can speculate on the antique tractor industry, but I think it will normalize again only after the prices go down for parts.  Parts will kill you, and big machinery eats parts.

Ben W.

#7 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I agree Ben. Friend had a CA Allis he was trying sell for $1500 with plows. Had some lookers but no takers.

#8 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have to disagree with that the farm tractor collecting will return to what it was.
I think its a generation thing, what you grow up with. Small farms started disappearing in the 50s and some what gone by the 70s. I feel they where the ones collecting them.
Also the compact tractor of today has made the just show pieces.
In another 20-30 years as this generation that grew up with garden tractors start to disappear so will the collecting of them.
Hard telling what kids today will collect probably flip phones and Ipads.

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hard telling what kids today will collect probably flip phones and Ipads.

Don't forget the Honda Civics.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Don't forget the Honda Civics.

I hate hondas. my saturn sleeper kills hondas.