• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Neighbor Brian is one of the neighbors I don't think I have ever mentioned here. A little while ago I heard a chainsaw coming from his house; since he is not the smartest guy, and is always drink I went over to make sure nobody got hurt. It is a good thing I did! He was using the saw one handed above his head, and the dogs where running around loose, plus, he obviously had no PPE on. I also saw a huge cloud of smoke, and his saw was cutting very slow, so I knew he had no oil in it. I told him to put the saw down, and I would go get my saws and do it for him.

Surprisingly, he put the saw down and while I walked back to my house I did not hear the saw start up until I was about 25 feet away from him on my way back. While I was walking back, neighbor Andrew got home (who is Brian's son-in-law). He was very confused when he saw me walking through his yard with all of my safety gear on and a saw in each hand! When I filled him in on what Brian was doing he could not thank me enough for coming to help. When Brian had first seen me he was making fun of me and all of the gear I had on. I was just about to start when Brian told me that he did not want my to cut the little 12' tree onto his fence; the tree was leaning at about 75 degrees, so it was not going the other way unless I pulled it with one of the PKs, which was pointless because it would not harm the fence anyway.

He went to get another beer, and while on his way I started the saw and he saw I was going to drop it on the fence. So, he ran (or tried to anyway) back to stop me. I did not know he came back until he started yelling at Andrew about how I was going to crush his fence; remember, he had to be yelling pretty loud to be heard over the saw, and my ear protection!

I stopped, when he threw a branch at me. At this point, I left and took all of my stuff... plus his chainsaw. I told him I was going to sharpen it for him, while he did not believe me at first we convinced him I was going to sharpen it for him. I said I would be back tomorrow. Andrew told me he would not be home in the morning, so Andrew and I will finish it up then when he is not there.

I only went over because I did not want anybody to get hurt, and by the looks of it there is a good chance he would have hurt himself, or one of his dogs.

• Gtractor, caseguy, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 08:37 PM

" Ya can't fix stupid", even when you try. Good for you to take the initative to make sure your neighbor was safe and for trying to help him out. That's what neighbors should do. Roger

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Wow might be a good thing if you break his chainsaw or loose it. Maybe it needs to be stolen.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:36 PM

What a safe neighbor to live next to......

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Good for you Ryan.  Unfortunately I think he will be back at it again when you give him his saw back.  Maybe not that tree but something else. 

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I won't help a neighbor who won't help themselves, especially a drunk.  What I would do is look out for those he might endanger,  He would be on his own though with me.

• daytime dave said thank you

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:55 AM

I won't help a neighbor who won't help themselves, especially a drunk.  What I would do is look out for those he might endanger,  He would be on his own though with me.

I agree, after living in the "city" for years and having good and bad neighbors.

I love where I build our new home in the "sticks" with no neighbors but the wildlife, and even they bug me sometimes :D . :thumbs:

P.S. Ryan, you are wise beyond your years.

Edited by John@Reliable, April 28, 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Ryan, I applaud your efforts, but I agree with Daniel 100 percent here.  Unless there is something that you haven't mentioned, I'd leave him alone.  If his actions would injure someone else, then step in.  It's hard to reason with a drunk.  He threw something at you in this instance.  Until you are big enough to drop him in his tracks, leave him to his own vices.  Just my two cents.

You are probably the best neighbor I could think of though.

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:42 PM

I missed the stick throwing part. I would have thrown the saw at him.

I have a neighbor who was a drunk, but he was never violent. I had to carry him into his house a couple of times when I found him in the yard. When he decided to stop drinking he went into DTs real bad. His wife called an ambulance to come get him. I walked over to see what was going on and he was fighting with the ambulance crew and they were saying they were calling the cops to put him in the ambulance. I pushed them aside and told them to go outside. When he was drunk he didn't want anything to do with people he didn't know. I picked him up and carried him out to the ambulance and put him on the stretcher. He hugged me and thanked me. Hasn't had a drink in 3 years now.

Maybe your neighbor will quit drinking. Until then I would give him a wide berth. I would also keep his saw. Or send it back in non running condition.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Than,s Ryan, for looking out for those dogs. Almost sounds like they would be better without their master...

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 03:43 PM

safety first good thing ya went over or good chance he would have had a ride to the er