Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My Search For A Wheel Horse Rj58 Is Over!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Adam,

My RJ is currently in pieces, but I think I know where everything is at. I'll try and take some pictures of the miscellaneous parts that you need, so you at least have an idea as to what you are looking for. I'll warn you now, the pieces won't look like much, as the previous owner had the whole tractor painted green because he thought it was a John Deere due to having clam shell like fenders.

As for the boiler plate transmission. I think they call it that, due to having the two pieces of flat steel bolted to each side of the transmission. Like a boiler, these two pieces of steel is what holds the tranny together. Don't hold me to this, as Wheel Horses are quite new to me, and I don't have the knowledge of them like I do the John Deere's. but I think I'm at least in the ballpark with this assumption.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Adam,

Troy is right on the tranny, The Ponds Fabricated the first years of the Trans. housings out of Boiler plate steel, then they were able to get casting made to make the Trans housing a 2 piece construction.

You have to remember that this Father and Son team built these tractors in the garage for several years before getting into a bigger shop.

The RS-83 ( Rideaway Sr.) had Bull gears cut from actual Boiler Plate with a Ox/Act. torch by the ponds and then sent to a machine shop to have the gear teeth cut into them.

And finally, Congratulations on your new Rj, you even got a good set of Original Good-Year Turfs on the rear. Way to GO !!!

• KennyP said thank you